PDA

View Full Version : DVT pain...how long does it last?

ButterflyRN
08-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi everyone! Just wondered if any of you could tell me that have had a DVT (blood clot) how long your pain lasted?

When my leg is elevated I feel minor if no discomfort. But when I stand and put the pressure on my leg all the pressure builds up from the decreased blood flow and it just hurts!! Just wondered how long anyone has experienced the pain. I know that it may take a while since my body has to dissolve the clot itself.

I'm going to go tomorrow and by some compression stockings to try. I hope that might help when my leg is down with the blood flow!

Angel Oliver
08-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Oh sorry to hear your pain.For me i had a p e and it did start in my leg such bad cramps but the doctor didnt realise until it was too late.So it was in my lung/pumlmanry.It hurt for a long time after but not that bad pain you have right now,afterwards for me it did begin to ease but carnt remember,maybe a few months then it was always there but much lesser if you know what i mean.It scars the vein if im not mistaken. Just hang in there as im sure members will come and help you with better info soon.

Love n thinking of you
Amanda.xxxxxxxx

mountaindreamer
08-16-2009, 07:32 PM
hi butterfly rn,

my mom really suffered with a lot of pain from her blood clot, but once the meds got her blood thinned, some of the pressure was released and she started feeling better. The lovenox (sp) should quickly start thinning your blood. Did your drs. tell you to avoid vitamin k....this can reverse the thinning effects of the cumadin.

crmj1183
08-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Butterflyrn,

Im sorry you r feeling so much discomfort and pain. I hope the blood clot goes away real soon. Ive never had a clot before, so I can only imagine waht you're feeling. Hugs

Chriss

ButterflyRN
08-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks everyone! My pain is a little better today and I bought some compression stockings to try to help with the discomfort. I know it will take time but just was curious with anyones past experience.

Angel Oliver
08-18-2009, 03:51 AM
What a good idea,its a wonder the doc did'nt give em you. Let us know if they give you more comfort and eases the pain a little.Hope they do .

Love Amanda.xxxxx

DrinkofWtr
08-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Dear ButterflyRN:

I had a blood clot in my leg when I was 19. Unfortunately, the pain lasts a long time. I had bad pain for a couple of years. The compression stockings help a lot. Be sure you get the right size for your leg calf. I think they come in sizes like small, medium, large and extra large. It has been a long time since I have bought any. I found that the really heavy ones that go to the bottom of the knee and that have the toes and heel cut out worked best for me. My Dad has had blood clots over the years. He had at least two. He liked the stockings that went to the top of the legs and they weren't the really heavy ones like I liked. The toes and heel were intact with those type of stockings.

Take care and elevate you leg on pillows a lot. Some people like the body pillows, but I preferred just regular pillows. Make sure when you elevate that your leg is above the heart. I am sure you know this as you are a nurse. Sometimes the leg will hurt more than other times. Just hang in there. Eventually, it will get better, the pain. When it gets really well, I found that exercising the calf helped strength the calf muscle which helped blood flow and provided support for the veins in the leg and calf. Check with your Dr. though before you start an exercise regimen.

ButterflyRN
08-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Drink of water thanks for your reply. I ended up going back and exchanging the compression stocking because it was just too tight/uncomfortable. I actually bought a large (had a small) and it feels much more comfortable. I did take measurements but when it got to my thigh it was just way too tight! It is just a moderate compression but it goes to my thigh and the heel and toes are intact.

I can't fully straighten out my leg yet because of the one behinde my knee. This is frustrating to me! The pain that I feel is in my calf. It's just all this pressure builds up and it aches as soon as I am up and start putting any pressure on my leg to walk. I've been using crutches which I find is helping so I don't have to put as much pressure on my foot. I'm hoping wearing this compression stalking more will help over the next few days. I just want to be able to get back to normal....although I am not sure what normal is anymore...lol!

Thanks for telling me that the pain could last for quite a while. I'm very scared of having this pain be permanent. I keep pumping my ankles all the time to help get that blood flowing! It will only be one week tomorrow that I've had the pain so I know I have to give it a little longer. I just don't know anyone who has had a DVT to give me any insight. So your reply is much appreciated! I can deal with a little pain I just want to be able to walk and function without it being noticable to others! And I would really like to get back to work next week :o)

iseedeadmonkeys
08-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Hello and welcome to my world!

Ive had 2 previous DVTs both in the same leg (10 years apart) 1st one when i was 17, 2nd one when i was 27

First one had me bed bound for 2 weeks in hospital i had to learn to walk again, i was 24 hours away from dying too, pain never went i still get twinges even today, but the bad pain lasted about a year after it happened.

Second DVT i noticed the signs b4 it got too bad, i took myself to A&E and it was confimed, i dint have to stay in hospital thankfully, and pain went within 2 months.

Like i say tho even now i get twinges and the pain from a cramp at the back of my leg scares the hell outta me.

Still after 2 years from the second one im on Warfarin for life now, its still quite a high dose of 7mg but then im on other meds that interferre with the INR.

Any questions you want me to answer lol feel free, i kinda got the T-shirt now!

ISDM
xxx

ButterflyRN
08-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks iseedeadmonkeys! It's comforting to know there are other out there that can relate. Today my leg is feeling a bit better and able to straighten out my leg a little better and be up on it a little more. I am so afraid to lay around to much and have another one occur. I am on 4mg of coumadin a day right now. My INR was 3.6 on Monday and they want to keep me between 2-3. I get my labs done again next week.

I also unfortunately am on my period! It started saturday and was light but this morning it decided to get a little heavier. I typically last 5-6 days so we'll see. I know with coumadin periods can become heavier! So much to worry about!:wacko:

abbasgirl
08-20-2009, 09:04 AM
I don't have anything to share other than (((((hugs)))) and prayers that this pain will go away quickly Butterfly.

ButterflyRN
08-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks Abbasgirl! It seems to be getting better each day slowly. I just have to give it time!:yes: