PDA

View Full Version : Lump in mouth.

cheryl_v
08-11-2009, 11:04 AM
I have searched the web with no luck for possible answers.

I have been having pain and soreness on the roof of the mouth. Looked in the mirror and seen a lump on the roof of the mouth. Small raw patch there too. Felt it and it was very hard. I have an appointment with rheumy and primary doc next week, thinking of asking them. I was hoping for an idea sooner, since appointments are late next week. I am a bit worried, but haven't told anyone about it.

Anyone know what it might be or where to look? I put chloraseptic strips on it to help numb it, but only short lived relief.

Thanks in advance.

Oluwa
08-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi you..are you taking your folic acid with your MTX..helps prevents mouth sores/ulcers....

Mouth sores is a side effect of MTX...

Love you,
Oluwa

cheryl_v
08-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Yes, one small mouth sore in the beginning of taking those meds keeps me in check. The raw patch is different than the mouth sores, hard to explain though. What concerns me is the lump. The roof of the mouth is arched, but a flat arch. There is a lump in the middle of the arch about the size of a gum ball, hard lump. Sore if you press, even lightly. Don't know when that occurred, just noticed last week. The sore feeling on the roof of the mouth has been for about 3 weeks I think. Just wondering if it is anything to be concerned about.

Oluwa
08-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Try this site out CV...maybe you'll see yours in one of the snaps...

Follow the yellow brick road..

http://www.doctorspiller.com/sores_lumps_bumps.htm

Love ya,
Oh

Angel Oliver
08-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Thinking of you Cheryl n hope it heals up soon.You have enough to deal with!!

Love n gentle hugs
Amanda.xxxxxxx

cheryl_v
08-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks you two.

Off to check out the site.

cheryl_v
08-11-2009, 05:25 PM
This is what I found, looks and sounds about right:

"A torus palatinus is a bone bump growing downward from the top of the palatal vault. It can be a single dense oval or consist of multiple rounded bony masses. Fortunately, the growth is made of normal bone and is benign. Many patients do not notice these slow growing outgrowths and become alarmed when they first see them. However, they are harmless.

A torus palatinus is often seen in patients who suffer with tooth grinding and is the body's way of supporting the increased stress. Doctors of Osteopathy believe that the palatal suture moves during chewing (pituitary pump) and stimulates the pituitary gland located a few inches above the palate. Regardless of why it's there, many patients are become concerned when they are made aware of this outgrowth.

If a patient needs dentures, the torus palatinus may interfere with the denture seal that keeps upper dentures sucked down. In these cases, the bone must be removed but, fortunately, it's a routine outpatient oral surgery procedure. It can be performed with regular local anaesthesia and takes about a hour. The bump is sectioned into about four areas and each section is removed one at a time."

I'm not sure if this is what it is, but one pic I seen looked almost exact. Maybe just coincident of a mouth sore happening to be there when I noticed. Was a little alarmed because the dentist never mentioned seeing anything (haven't seen him since november though). This apparently is slow growing, so not noticed until a certain size. Will show doc and see what is said. At least this puts my mind more at ease, thanks Oluwa.

cheryl_v
08-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Anyone else have a lump on the roof of your mouth? If so, ever find out what it was? Does the torus palatinus sound plausible? Hoping its nothing serious and trying not to fret over it.

Angel Oliver
08-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Yes make sure you do tell the doctor Cheryl.I have ulcers and over past few years oh my my mouth has been so infected im amazed i still have teeth.But i get little ulcers at the top roof of my mouth,but the maxofaxial gave me mouthwash which seems to get rid of em.So no,no lumps as such.
Let me know how you get on.Thinking of you.
Love Amanda.xxxxx

cheryl_v
08-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks Amanda. Doing OK, nasty storms though. Trees were bending and we stayed in the closet for the worse bit. Got to love living in a tropical state, such fun.

I'm sure the lump is nothing, just trying to shut up that annoying nagging voice in the back of my mind. I tend to be a worrier, so sometimes my imagination gets away from me. Just thought I'd throw out that fishing line and reel it back in(lol).

Hope all is well with you and you are ok. I hope to remember to ask doc for that med, I always forget. I wrote it down once, but forgot it in my pocket. Maybe next time I'll remember.

Hugs and Love...............................CV

Angel Oliver
08-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Oh wow,sounds scarey but you know what...what i do for good storms like that.We have only had a few over the years but not often like you have it.I just love thunder lightening n strong wind :) Oh fog n snow too,just the rain im not keen on.

Hey just see what the doctor says about the lump,its natrual to worry so you have every rite too. Let me know how you get on.

Love n hugs
Amanda.xxxxxxxxx

cheryl_v
08-13-2009, 02:21 PM
I love storms, just not when too rough. Found out a small tornado was skipping along in our area. Scared me when I went to close the blinds to my sliding glass door and my 40' tree set back in the back yard was bending and almost touching the door. Shut the blinds fast and screamed for the kids to come with me. Still a bit frazzled, but do so love those storms at the same time. Oh well. How is it over there? Sunny I hope and spending the day in the garden.

Love and hugs,
CV

Angel Oliver
08-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Wow,

Oh im sorry i didnt realise it was THAT bad.Hope it passed quick.Its been sunny today about 60oc so its been ok.Weather warning for tmrw so rain is back n floods whupeeeeee.
How you feeling today?xxxxxxx

mountaindreamer
08-13-2009, 06:12 PM
hi cheryl,

so sorry that i am just now getting back with you. I am so glad that amanda found that web site for you....that was really interesting information. NO, i do not have a lump, and have never noticed one, but now i will know what it is if it happens. I hope you are not as worried now, but be sure and show your dr. next week.

also, 25 mg of folic acid each day is keeping my mouth sores away....i am knocking on wood...don't want to jinx myself.

cheryl_v
08-13-2009, 06:58 PM
No biggie Amanda. You actually get used to these storms when you grow up with them happening. August and September are our worse months. June-November is hurricane season, those 2 months are when we mainly get ours. We may not always get a hurricane, but we do get lots of nasty weather. I love the sound of storms, it is so soothing. As long as the trees don't bend and the rain stays downward and not sideways (lol). Glad your weather was nice, hope you get more days like that.

Hi mountaindreamer, thanks for the reply. Actually Oluwa found it, she's so good at finding things. She always finds what I need every time, be lost without her smarts.
Amanda's always being helpful in anyway she can come up with, here when I need her. She and Oluwa spoil me with help and concern, a girl could get used to that (lol). When ever someone replies, I feel like I'm not alone. Eases my mind knowing all of you are here, thanks for being here too.
Also I try to never miss my folic acid, did a few times in the beginning. That memory keeps me remembering. I'm hoping everything is OK and they say its nothing.
Hope everything is going well for you.

Hugs to all,
CV