PDA

View Full Version : confused and wanting answers

lagrace
08-06-2009, 06:34 PM
My Rhumatologist thinks that I have fibromyalgia. I was origionally sent to her because I had a positive ANA test and thought that I may have Lupus. That still may be the case but she thinks more likely that it is this. I don't understand. With fibromyalgia, do you have flare ups? Whatever I am experiencing with the achiness with my hands and wrists as well as my knees and being exhausted, it comes and goes. However this time, it has been since May. Does stress bring it on? I have also been blaming my weight on feeling tired and pains in my knees and feet. My doctor does not think that it is the case. I don't know how to feel about this. Sometimes I just want to scream! My husband and I do foster care. Right now we have our own daughter who is six and a foster son who is three that we are in the process of adopting. For three weeks and counting, we are taking care of a seven week old baby.With taking care of the three, I haven't had time to research fibromyalgia. Oh well. I needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

mountaindreamer
08-06-2009, 06:49 PM
hi lagrace,

i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia (fms) in 1996. Even though i always had a positive ANA, i was not diagnosed with lupus until this past October.

FMS is an extremely painful syndrome, which often attaches itself to lupus. I describe the pain as feeling like someone is holding a lit cigarette to specific points on my body. FMS involves inflammation of the small tissues and it often includes the hands, wrists, knees, ankles, and shoulders. There are several pressure points that run up the back of the neck into the point where the neck and head meet. There are also 2 pressure points on either side of your chest. Go online under any medical search that you prefer, and you will find the pressure points associated with fms.

There are some medications that many people get good results with. I have not been able to take them, so i just take pain meds with i get hit with a flare. Yes, FMS includes flares which can last anywhere from a few hours to several months....most of mine don't last very long, so you may have something else going on.

i am here, if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Angel Oliver
08-07-2009, 05:45 AM
I too recently was diagnosed with fibro by my gp and not my rheumi. I am sorry you are going through this but i identify with your post so much.I see Phyllis has given you such good advice and help.
Wow,you are such a wonderful person fostering,well done to you they are very lucky to have you in their lives.
Just keep strong,rest where you can and know we understand you.

Sending you love n gentle hugs
Amanda.xxxxxxxxxx

BettyBoop
08-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Lagrace,

My rheumy also dx'd me with fibro. I have a positive ANA and all the symptoms of both fibro and lupus. From what I've read, they kind of cross as far as symptoms go. Good luck to you and God Bless for being a foster parent.

Saysusie
08-08-2009, 06:38 PM
I, also, have Lupus and Fibromyalgia. The two diseases are like identical twins as far as some of their symptoms, flare-ups, etc.
The difference is: Lupus is a DISEASE!
Fibromyalgia is a CONDITION. In other words, while Fibromyalgia can cause extreme illness, debilitating fatigue, unrelenting pain, sleep disturbances, IBS, TMJ and others...it will not cause ANY life threatening symptoms. Lupus, however, can cause life threatening symptoms.

So, if you suffer from Fibromyalgia alone, you can be a very, very sick person. But, you will never have damage to organs, blood, tissues, etc. that can be fatal.

I hope that this helps you a bit!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie