PDA

View Full Version : Hair ???

leaann
08-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Lately my husband and I have noticed that we keep finding hair all over the house and feel that my hair is starting to fall out... I have long hair and it is very thick and full right now but in the last few weeks we have noticed more and more hair everywhere...

??? I have read some post that talks about hair loss, Do you have hair loss from lupus or is the hair loss from taking some type of medication???

I don't take medication for lupus as I am still waiting for dignoses at this point but was wondering if my hair was falling out or am I just crazy....

I am worried I am losing my hair...Hubby is bald an he made the statement that if I went bald at least we would match better... I didn't think it was funny but he got a laugh out of it and stated ... It's better to laugh about it than to cry about it...

dsunshine
08-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Ummmmhmmm!!!
I posted a concern back in I think March don't recall what the name was (Brain Fog) YEP, my hair fell out in mass amounts. I mean I kept brushing and combing and the more I did it the more came out...I couldn't stop myself. I was in disbelief it was coming out like that. It seemed unreal...a movie. As I was in the mirror watching with tears running down my face I looked down in the trash can where I had discarded the hair and it looked like a CHIA PET or Small puppy was in the trash. My doctor said it was from the Meds...one makes hair fall out and the other promotes hair/nail growth so it all balances out. I do know and have read that hair loss can be one of the symtons. Fortunately, My hair has grown back but it is extremely thin on the left side of my head so I have to comb/brush it in as way so that my scalp isn't showing.
I agree with your husband about laughter but when it initially happens your natural first reaction is to be upset/cry. After I composed myself and had spoken to my mom/sister I decided if it did fall out I was going to get a PLATNIUM BLONDE bob cut Wig and HUGE JACKIE O Glasses and walk around town like I own it...You know I was going to look as crazy as I felt but sometimes you have to just own it and work it!

red246
08-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Lea,

Hair loss is not uncommon. It can occur either because of the Lupus itself or medications.

My hair started thinning out before I was diagnosed also. I noticed that it would fall out more during the times that I was feeling really bad. Now that I am on Methotrexate, it is really falling out! I've always had thin hair. It bothered me more before I started taking the medication. Now that I am on the Meth though, it doesn't bother me. I look at in this way - "Feel better w/ possibly no hair, or feel like poop w/hair, hmmmm...."

My husband said that if I go bald, he wants me to completely shave his head, too, that way we'll match! :yes: Take care and I hope you get some answers soon!

Jewelz
08-06-2009, 08:41 PM
My hair loss waxes and wanes. And it's all over not just one area. When I was on MTX it actually stopped the really bad hair loss and settled it down. So I don't know the answer... everybody's different I guess.

crmj1183
08-06-2009, 10:11 PM
hey Leann,

My hair has definitely fallen out from lupus. But it was from the meds. It happened to me twice so far. I like long hair but it will grow really long then it just begins to thin and fall out. Thats how mine started or starts when it happens it just sheds, thats the thinning part. I hope your hair doesnt fall out, sorry that you're experiencing this.

Chriss

debbie-b
08-07-2009, 06:29 AM
I have hairloss off and on, mostly visible in my brush and in the drain of the shower. When I flare, I lose alot of hair, after the flare it is just minor. Mine started before any meds. Luckely, I have alot of hair, so I am far from getting bald.

Debbie

rob
08-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Hi Leaann,

One of the first things that helped me figure out if I had SLE or not, was two small patches on the back of my head where the hair just fell out. It's called Alopecia Arreatta. It grew back after I was diagnosed and started on plaquenil. I'm thankful today that I have a full head of hair. My mother also has SLE and she has lost almost all of her hair. She has this custom made wig/hairpiece that is really natural looking. I forget that she wears it. I know it's harder for a woman to deal with hair loss. It's almost expected that most men will lose their hair at some point, but for women it's not. I hope this is just temporary, like my hair loss was.

Rob

lucky7
08-07-2009, 02:12 PM
YUP, my hair is thinning as well! I used to have THICK hair BUT not anymore! Shoot, i could make my OWN WIG from the hair that falls out daily!:wideeyed:

BettyBoop
08-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Leann,

I have patches of hair loss and no dx, no meds that would cause it. Doc just put me on Plaquenil for it, but I've read that people have hair loss as a side effect. Oh well....

CanadianMama
08-09-2009, 08:25 AM
One of the things that got me into the doc for testing was hair loss.

I am not on any medication for Lupus (although occasionally I take Naprosyn).

I have no idea if it was coincidental or from stress or from Lupus.

Grime
08-09-2009, 03:53 PM
I am worried I am losing my hair...Hubby is bald an he made the statement that if I went bald at least we would match better... I didn't think it was funny but he got a laugh out of it and stated ... It's better to laugh about it than to cry about it...

Your husband made a mistake. What he should have said. "Darling if you shaved your head you would be beautiful."

I know ladies have to have makeup, nail polish and hair dye. Gals you a beautiful with out all that stuff. Lisa wares no makeup and if her hair fell out she would still be the most beautiful woman on the planet. In fact I have told her to shave her head. She would be a lot cooler without the thick hair even tho its short.

leaann
08-10-2009, 05:21 PM
thanks everyone sounds like I just have to deal with it... IF It all falls out I will just get me a bright blue wig to wear and gogo boots and a short skirt and prade around town that way everyone will just think I am crazy.... That way I can match the way I feel right now...lol

Angel Oliver
08-10-2009, 05:23 PM
You will look like a trendy pop star.....it will grow back...keep strong,i know its not easy.Sending you gentle hugs.

love Amanda.xxxxxxxx

Angel Oliver
08-10-2009, 05:24 PM
David....such a lovely caring beautiful man...Lisa is so lucky.xxxxxxxxx

pandagirl
08-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I too have hair loss frequently...my eyelashes fall out too. I am not on steady meds either..I am in the denial of Plaquenil stage..lol. I wish the hair would fall out of my legs but no such luck... I have really curly hair( I have a blow-out in my photo here) I find a huge wad in the drain daily. :shocked:

Delphinia981
08-11-2009, 07:28 PM
I wish the hair would fall out of my legs but no such luck...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ME TOO!!!

lucky7
08-12-2009, 01:03 PM
OH my goodness David!!!! HOW SWEET YOU ARE!!! Lisa IS lucky!!! :yes: You need to teach Carl what to say and how to say it about some of those issues! LOL He still hasnt learned even after 19yrs of being together!!!! LOL:skeptical: