PDA

View Full Version : EMG Test

Sandra
08-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi guys, hope everyone is doing ok. I was wondering if anyone has had an EMG test. It is done by a neuro and is a test that tells how the muscle responds to stimulus. My muscles are weak and from what I understand this test can help determine why they are weak, ie muscle problems or nerve/neurological problems.
thanks Sandra

mountaindreamer
08-04-2009, 07:51 PM
wow, sandra,

i am not familiar with an EMG....can't wait to see what others have to say.

red246
08-05-2009, 04:30 AM
Sandra,

I had this done. I was having pins and needles and numbness at the time. Of course nothing showed up on the test to give me any answers. I hope that you get some.
I won't lie and say that it's a pleasant test, but it's not that bad. Let us know how it goes! (((HUGS)))

BettyBoop
08-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Sandra,

I had this done for both my arms and legs. They told me they were both "positive" but were unable to determine where the pain was originating. Hope you have better luck.

rob
08-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi Sandra,

I have had two EMG's done in the past year. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. They do use needles inserted into key muscles, but the needles are super thin, almost like an acupuncture needle. And, much of the pain from needles is from whatever they are injecting into you and how fast they are injecting it. Since an EMG test involves no actual injection, it's just a very quick and tolerable pinch. They will pulse little jolts of electricity, and the Neuro will walk you through the whole thing and tell you when they are going to "zap" you. It feels like static electricity, and your muscles in the area will twitch, but that's about it. It's just slightly uncomfortable, and the little pain involved is very mild, and very quick. Don't worry, you'll do fine.

Rob

debbie-b
08-08-2009, 03:59 PM
I had it done as well and Rob is right, it is slightly weird, but not painful. I had to have it, because of carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel ( elbow), my thumb had lost muscle and so did my wrist, I had to have surgery. Don't be scared, it is no big deal.
Good luck.

Debbie

jfal
08-08-2009, 04:32 PM
I too have had it done. It's no big deal. I my case it came back negative also. Whatever causes my neurological symptoms doesn't show any abnormalties on any of the tests the docs have done. I have even had a nerve biopsy, again, normal.

Sandra
08-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Hmmm, thanks for the heads-up re pain but now I am wondering why they bother to do it?
I have numb hands in the morning, and weird jolts of electricity that shakes my body and sometimes my brain, and I get lots of tingling too....that is neuro stuff what more do they need to know and what can they do about it anyway....somtimes I think these Dr's are way to Jekilly. Thanks Sandra

kim,l
08-09-2009, 01:11 AM
hi sandra i have had a emg test and now have to haveanother one have been experiencing numbness and tinging and burning and electric shocks in my legs i have to see neurologist my doctor told me that this is called parestesia and can be common with people with lupus and ms well that is what it is called in australia the emg will find out if this is what you have hope this is some help to you i know how annoying it is hope you get your answer soon be well kiml

rob
08-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Sandra,

I was wondering if you had your EMT test done, and if so, how it went. If you haven't had it yet, just remember that it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. The second time I had it done, it had already become just a routine annoyance, and not a scary, or really painful thing at all. The only pain I had the second time, was to my patience (it's a long, boring test).

Rob

Sandra
08-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi, no not yet, I go on Tuesday, I am a bit disappointed about the lack of rsults everybody has mentioned....I do so wish and hope for some help with the strange symptoms I'm dealing with. i was just researching lupus and sleep disorders....so frustrating...my issue is falling alseep pretty well I think and then having this strange mini seizure thing where I feel like jolt in my head and sometimes also in my body, sometimes it lifts my arm right up....I wake up as you can imagine wondering what the heck is going on and then realize it was just another seizure thing and I'm ok but I just cannot fall back to sleep.... it is driving me crazy....the lack of sleep really plays havock with the pain, stiffness and all around management of this disease....wish me luck, I'll let you know, Sandra