PDA

View Full Version : question #2-arms and feet!

mcphena
08-04-2009, 07:35 AM
My arms fall asleep almost EVERY night, over and over. It's from my shoulders all the way to the tips of my fingers. They will get so "asleep" that I will wake up and not be able to move them at all. Then finally they will start to "wake up" but it HURTS. This happens over and over all night so that I don't get any good sleep. Does this sound like something that happens with lupus?? I know that people have different symptoms. Also, my heels do the same thing but not while I'm asleep, they do it anytime I am sitting with my feet up, like at night I like to read in bed before I go to sleep. It doesn't matter if I put a pillow under my ankles to keep my heels off the bed, they still fall asleep. I always just thought this was the way I am, but since getting diagnosed with lupus I'm wondering if this is part of it and if there's anything I can do?? Also it seems like it's getting worse in my arms lately. I just started this plaquenil a week or so ago. But today my arms aren't recovering like they usually do, they feel heavy and sore and like they aren't circulating right. :grumpy: Thanks again!

mountaindreamer
08-04-2009, 09:57 AM
hi mcphena,

first, welcome to the group.....i hope you find comfort in the support that you will receive from our members.

yes, i regularly deal with hands falling asleep....i try to sleep with my arms softly resting on a pillow....it seems to help if they are not lying by my side, but a little elevated.

i also deal with the feet, and i just deal with it....i don't have the answers for this one.

dsunshine
08-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Welcome to the site...
You have come to the right place to find comfort, love, support and understanding. I use to suffer from numbness in my fingers and I believe that is normal but I would tell my doctor about it and hopefully they can/will adjust your meds accordingly. I use to sleep on my back and almost sitting straight up with my arms to my side like Ab Lincoln at the washington monument for a long time with a pillow under my legs and feet. It helped and took getting use to.
Dunno if this will help but I do wish you health and remission...Welcome again!

dassar RN
08-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi,
welcome to our family. You will find alot of support from this wonderful group of people. I myself and newly diagnosed and yes I suffer from numbness to my upper and lower extremities of which my rheumy said was a part of this LUPUS process. I agree that you may need to discuss this with your DR.

I hope you will feel better soon. Feel free to vent...

Dassar RN:banana:

jfal
08-04-2009, 02:42 PM
My feet are almost always "asleep". In my hands it comes and goes. I even get it in my right ear sometimes. Just lately I have started to get it in my lower lip.

crmj1183
08-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi Mcphena,

Im sorry you havent had or dont get a good night of sleep. My legs go numb or fall asleep at night sometimes. So I know how you feel, I would mention it to my doctor just to make sure it isnt something else Im sure your;re fine though, I hope this goes away soon. You definitely need your rest, my dear. Im sending you cyber hugs

Chriss

debbie-b
08-05-2009, 05:36 AM
I have weird places, that fall asleep too. The heels of my feet, my ankles, my ears, my nose, my lower lip and my knees, never mind my arms and fingers. I don't know, what it is, but it is very anoying.

Debbie

Angel Oliver
08-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Yes me too.......hello and welcome by the way. Yes i think allot of us have this.As members have said,mention it to your doctor,hes the best one to ask as he may be able to help you.

Love n gentle hugs
Amanda.xxxxx

CanadianMama
08-19-2009, 01:03 PM
From a massage therapy perspective, what you describe sounds a lot like Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, which is unrelated to Lupus.

This disorder typically affects large-breasted women, or people who have tight pectoral/scalene/SCM muscles either from postural problems or poor workplace ergonmics.

Stretching the muscles in your chest, neck and shoulders (using a foam roller works great) seems to really help the symptoms.

People who sleep with their arms above their heads have a higher incidence of this.

HTH

mountaindreamer
08-19-2009, 03:12 PM
thanks CanadianMama,

how are you doing these days?

pandagirl
08-20-2009, 04:30 PM
I had a pinched nerve in my neck and that was my main complaint...I also had a lot of pain along with it. You might want to speak with the MD about it.

Karenlee
08-20-2009, 04:42 PM
This is the weirdest thing-I was out watering my vegetable garden and my hands went to sleep-this happens a lot-did not know it was part of the disease. I took watercolor classes last year and became very good. Now when I go to paint, my arms fall asleep and I drop the brush. My legs fall asleep at night too. So, I start feeling sory for myself, start getting depressed, thought OK, buck up and go on the lupus chat room-here is a whole link of stories of people with the SAME thing. I know my husband gets tired of listening to me cry and whine, but he never says a word. Bless all of you-I've only been in a few days but so far you have all been a God-send. Thank you--Karenlee

Saysusie
08-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Just know that you are never whining and crying to us. Did you find some answers to the numbness in your arms & legs? Please know that if you need more information or want us to research anything for you, we are always willing to do that!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

ElyMiller000
08-31-2009, 02:42 PM
My calves and fingers lock up/fall asleep often, when I told my doctor about it he said it was probably prednisone, because it can cause muscle weakness.

CanadianMama
09-06-2009, 09:51 AM
I had muscle weakness for years before they even suspected lupus...and in muscles I use all the time for work.

I wake with numb fingers nearly every night...but have never had numbness out of the blue.

Hope you figure it out!

jfal
09-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome explains the numbness in one's hands and arms. It doesn't explain people getting the same in their feet, or as in my case my right ear and my lower lip.

lucky7
09-10-2009, 03:45 PM
I too get tingling all of the time in my arms all the down to my toes. I have a broken L5 and a missing disc which means im grinding bone on bone SO, its either that OR lupus related. My dr thinks its BOTH,its just a matter of WHICH one feels like BUGGING me at that moment i guess! LOL Accupuncture has been the BEST therapy for these syptoms though!!!! ITS GREAT!!!!! I just cant afford to go all of the time so, im limited to the treatments. Just another hurdle!!!! Ill jumpp it though!!! I always do!!!!:yes: