PDA

View Full Version : Neurologist On Friday.....

ashleybaby715
08-03-2009, 01:35 PM
So i'm going to the neurologist on friday to try and figure out why i have been so like, out of it lately. can't think straight. trouble remembering simple things.
i'll forget what im talking about mid-sentence....and when i talk i switch up my words! ugh!
its so frustrating.
hopefully its just brain fog and nothing more then that...
i guess i'll have to wait and see........

wish me lucK!

lucky7
08-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Good Luck and let us know how it goes sweetheart!!!! XXXXXXX:cute:

Angel Oliver
08-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Goodluck n i'll be thinking of you.Let us know how you get on.

Love n gentle hugs
Amanda.xxxxxxx

Pearl
08-03-2009, 04:07 PM
I think you are sharp as a tack! I'll bet this is just some momentary fog. Good luck with the docs. Keep us posted.

Jan

mountaindreamer
08-03-2009, 04:59 PM
hi ashley,

i too will be thinking of you this week. it is a scary time, and i am so sorry that you are having to deal with this stress. Whatever the results, we will be here to cheer with you or just listen to you...

take care and find somthing fun to do.

crmj1183
08-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Ashleybaby,

Im sure the test will come back normal, the same thing happens to me, I hope everything is ok, u are in my thoughts.

Chriss

ashleybaby715
08-05-2009, 04:48 PM
thanks everyone. yeah so how about yesterday at cheer practice, i forgot mid-cheer what i was doing!! ahh it was so embarrassing, but its ok. because everybody knows why. lol
...2 more dayss til that appointment, blah. lol like its a bittersweet thing cuz i dont want to see yet ANOTHER doctor, but then again....i want to find out whats wrong....

Jewelz
08-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Good Luck Ashley!

I hope your appointment goes well.

Are you on neurontin at all? I'm on that and it makes me just like you describe. Maybe it's a med side effect?

Hugs and Luck!
Jewelz

Shellbell
08-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Hope all goes well at your appointment, hang in there!

lucky7
08-07-2009, 01:42 PM
AWWWWW, thinking of YOU Ashley. Hope the appt goes well hun:yes: XXXX

BonusMom
08-19-2009, 12:51 PM
How'd the appointment go, Ashley?

mountaindreamer
08-19-2009, 01:17 PM
thanks bonus mom for remembering her appointment.

Ashley, i hope you got good news at the dr. last week.

Pearl
08-19-2009, 02:25 PM
What's the word? Everything OK?

ButterflyRN
08-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Hope you got good news...looking forward to hearing from you!

abbasgirl
08-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi Ashley...hope the neuro appt. went well.

ashleybaby715
08-22-2009, 07:55 PM
wow, sorry this took so long for me to reply...but the appointment didn't go so great.
sent me for an MRI, didn't get the results yet.
but they think i might have
phonemic paraphasia..i think thats how its spelleD??? idk lol

but i'll keep you guys updated !

Angel Oliver
08-23-2009, 02:44 AM
Ashley,

Im thinking of you.

Love Amanda..xxxxxxxxx

Saysusie
08-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Ooh... this is a new one for me. I've never heard of phonemic paraphasia. Do you want me to do some research on this for you? Just let me know.
Sending you gentle hugs

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

ashleybaby715
08-23-2009, 06:17 PM
sure that would be nice :]

abbasgirl
08-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Whatever that is it doesn't sound good. (((((Hugs)))))

Saysusie
08-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Ashley...here you go. I went to eight (8) different sources to get this information. I hope that it is helpful!

Aphasia is a language disorder that results from damage to the areas of the brain responsible for language comprehension and expression. These injuries usually occur in the dominant side of the brain, which, for most people, is the left hemisphere. Depending on the site of the lesion, aphasia may involve spoken and written language expression, auditory comprehension, and reading and writing abilities.

Traditionally, aphasia syndromes were classified as expressive or receptive. Individuals with expressive, or motor, aphasia had difficulty producing words and were believed to have a lesion in the Broca area in the dominant frontal lobe. Patients with receptive, or sensory, aphasia have difficulty comprehending language and are thought to have a lesion in the Wernicke area of the dominant temporal lobe

Paraphasia is a notable feature of aphasia in which one loses the ability of speaking correctly, substitutes one word for another, and changes words and sentences in an inappropriate way. Your speech is fluent, but is error-prone, e.g. 'treen' instead of 'train'.

Paraphasia can be further sub-divided into 3 categories:
1) Literal/phonological paraphasia:
In literal/phonological paraphasia, more than half of the spoken word is said correctly. An example could be saying pun instead of spun.

Phonemic paraphasia does not involve the emission of unacceptable sounds. Rather, it consists of omissions, transpositions, additions or repetitions of phonemes in a word (a phoneme is a group of slightly different sounds which are all perceived to have the same function by speakers of the language in question. An example of a phoneme is the /k/ sound in the words kit and skill - even though most native speakers don't notice, in most dialects, the ks in each of these words are actually pronounced differently: they are different speech sounds, or phones). Sometimes, more than one phonemic paraphasia is found within one word.

2) neologistic paraphasias
Neologistic refers to a spoken word that is said less than half correct. Occasionally the word is not said correctly at all. This is common in the speech of patients with schizophrenia.

3) verbal paraphasias.
Verbal paraphasia is where another word is substituted for the target word. A common example is saying dog instead of cat.

Phonemic paraphasia (aka:also literal paraphasia) is mispronunciation of syllables out of sequence. e.g. "I slipped on the lice (ice) and broke my arm."
Verbal paraphasia - Substitution of words
Semantic paraphasia - The substituted word is related to the intended word. e.g. "I spent the whole day working on the television, I mean, computer."
Remote paraphasia - The substituted word is not really related to the intended word. e.g. "You forgot your lamp, I mean, umbrella."
Neologistic paraphasia - More severe mispronunciation, in which less than half the word is said correctly.

While low-frequency paraphasic errors can occur in normal speech, paraphasias (particularly phonological paraphasias) are considerably more common in Wernicke's aphasia and in Sensory Transcortical Aphasia.
Receptive aphasia, also known as Wernicke’s aphasia, fluent aphasia, or sensory aphasia in clinical neuropsychology and cognitive neuropsychology, is a type of aphasia often (but not always) caused by neurological damage to Wernicke’s area in the brain

Let me know if this was helpful to you and/or if you need more information.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

ashleybaby715
08-26-2009, 04:46 PM
that was very helpful!!
thankyou soo muchh!! :]

abbasgirl
08-27-2009, 11:30 AM
This is very interesting!

I hope this problem improves for you Ashley.