PDA

View Full Version : Question on Lupus and Statin Drugs

Larz77
07-31-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm curious if anyone has been put on a statin before while dealing with the Lupus? With my mom's situation (low reading on her bad cholesterol and still developing blockage) the doctors think, with my Lupus, that it would be a good idea to consider putting me on a statin (I also have very low bad cholesterol readings, so they think I might present like her).

So, what statins have people tried? Any side effects, good or bad? Any issues with Lupus medications (right now I'm on Plaquenil, but prednisone and Imuran are used when needed). Anything else I should know?

Larz

widebody
07-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi Larz,
I've been on an old statin - lovastatin - for years. My cholesterol wasn't that high, but w/diabetes, they don't like to take chances, so it's kind of automatic to go on a statin and a bp inhibitor.

I don't think you have much to worry about, esp with the older statins. They're very well-tolerated, widely studied and generally help quite a bit. I'd be more skeptical if he tries to push you to one of the new ones without trying an oldie-but-goodie first.

The only time I ever noticed any side effects was when I didn't notice the drugstore had switched pill sizes (from 20 to 40 mg, I think) so I was still taking two instead of one. Even double-dosing i just felt a little off - not sick or anything.

Good luck,

crmj1183
07-31-2009, 03:49 PM
I had high cholesterol at one point but not to the point where I needed a prescription, Im sorry I wish I had more info. Have you tried to eat certain things to lower your cholesterol? Like staying away from eggs and things like that? I dont know im sure you have. I hope everything works out

Chriss

Larz77
07-31-2009, 04:30 PM
CRMJ- That's the issue, my chloesteral, as is my mom's is low (my bad chloesterol). But apparently we have some syndrome where even with low chloesterol, we have build up in our arteries (or something like that). So, based on the tests, I don't have any reason to take anything! But it's precautionary....

Larz

Angel Oliver
07-31-2009, 04:39 PM
All my family have high chloestrol and have deposits under or around our eyes too.My brothers were very bad around his eyes.We went for a check up.His reading is 7.9 and mines 6.1. He is on simvasatin and they are assesing me.Eventually we both will go to hospital to have the white cholestrol deposits taken off our eyes.My brother seems fine on the pills n my Mam too. Hope this helps.Thinking of you.

Love n hugs Amanda.xxxxxx

papillon
08-05-2009, 09:09 PM
hi there

my kidney damage meant i was on a statin for about 6 mos. i was on lipitor most of the time but tried two others first. the side effects weren't great on the first two but lipitor was ok. the statin was a really expensive medication (nothing compared to cellcept though)

kim,l
08-05-2009, 10:24 PM
yes i have been on liptor for awhile