PDA

View Full Version : How long have you been diagnosed?

twinniesplus1
08-03-2005, 01:55 PM
I was diagnosed at age 19 in 1989. As my mother and I looked back I started having serious joint pain at age 14. I had gone to my family doctor and was told I was growing too fast. If only that were the case! I did finally see a rheumy at age 18 just before starting college and was told it was either RA or SLE. One year later whammo! Major flare! I withdrew from college and started the everlasting road of fighting SLE. I did finish college on time, taught elementary school, got married, and tried starting a family. Things went a little awry at that point and we ended up adopting 3 wonderful babies who are now 5 yr and 20 months(twins).

I am new here and would like to hear from others. SLE patients are out there just not in my inner circle of life. So, here I am hoping to make friends, learn a little about myself, and learn to live life with a more positive outlook. Afterall, I've had this thing almost half my life now!! I think that means I'm winning!! Thanks to whoever posted side effects of prednisone. I've taken it continually since my diagnosis and now know why my voice is so hoarse all the time!

hippimom2
08-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Hi twinnieplus1 and welcome. I'm fairly new to this site too. It's a great site for support and information. I got sick almost 2 years ago, although looking back, I can see symptoms developing throughout my adult life. I'm still trying to figure out how to manage my life and adjust to having lupus - I've had to make a lot of life changes.

I'm 38 and have been married for 12 years to a wonderful and supportive husband. Fortunately I had my children (7 & 3) before I became too ill. I wanted to have another, but know that I cna't now. Congratulations on your children.

Take care and I'm glad you joined us :D

hatlady
08-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Hi y'all!

I'm the old lady of this group so far. I was diagnosed with SLE in 2002. Muscle and joint pain, plus fatigue were what led me to a diagnosis. Sun sensitivity came later.

I'm 52, probably had lupus earlier than that diagnosis, but chalked it up to ovework. I have a partner who I'm so thankful for - she's a wonderful support. I work full time, fairly high stress job, but have a staff who is wonderfully supportive as well.

Lupus has taught me to slow down a bit, smell the flowers and ignore the weeds, treasure time with family and friends. Value the health that I DO have.

I'm fairly new to the board - have only become active posting in the last 2 or three months. I like the community here. I"m glad you're joining!

Chrislupuslady
08-05-2005, 03:55 AM
hello ...i was dx at the ripe old age of 17...in 1978...seems a lifetime ago :(

tennisquirrel
08-15-2005, 09:12 PM
wow. if i was paying attention. just posted a question like this....then scrolled down and found it! but anyways....

i was diagniosed at age 11.....6 years ago....

i was lucky, the caught it early, i probably had symptoms for a year before they started looking into it....big flare, butterfly rash on face, etc...and then right around a year when they ran the tests to figure out it was lupus. so yeah....

the way it sounds, i was super lucky to have it found so early, but its starting to get worse pretty constantly now...and im scared...but thats ok. im a strong girl, and very determined to get through it. nothing can take away my tennis!

anyways, enough babling....6 years ago. when i was 11. thats all you wanted to know...

strawberry
08-15-2005, 10:01 PM
I was dx after having my first child ( 3 weeks late c-section) Dec. 1990 and second child ( he was 6 weeks early) in Dec. of 1991 had a kidney biopsy in April 1992 I was 19.

Missy
08-20-2005, 01:19 PM
I was dx December 2003 with Lupus Nephritis, age 26 - has kidney biopsy in June 2004.

Things are going better now. I only work part-time, but that is better than not working at all, which I had to do for 1 year. Also, can't really have kids because of my kidneys, but may adopt in a few years. Luckily, my husband of 6 1/2 years is very supportive.