PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have Graves?

mortifiedat52
07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
well just when my lupus symptoms were starting to improve, i started experiencing some new symptoms...dry cough, ticklish feeling in throat, weight loss, frequent trips to the bathroom, irritated eyes, excessive sweating, jittery & tense, and the worst, a rapid heartbeat... feels like my heart is trying to pound its way out of my chest... i feel rev'd up all the time...

I suspect Grave's disease.. whereas no one in my family has ever had lupus, just about every female on my father's side has experienced thyroid problems..

have an appt with rheumatologist on thursday.. but in the meantime, has anyone else had Graves and lupus at the same time? and how did you deal with it??

Danica01
07-28-2009, 02:21 PM
I am so sorry you are feeling so miserable right now. It makes my heart very sad. Lupus has its way of showing its head when and where we least expect it. I have never experienced this but my mom has thyroid disease and has had to have hers put to sleep. The doctors are actually checking mine in about two weeks. They said because my mom has it it is something we should look at very carefully now that I have hit 30. Darn hereditary diseases, yuck! Hang in there love and we are here for you. Keep us posted on what the doctor says and what you find out. When do you get to go see the doctor about all of this????? I am sending you calming thoughts and gentle hugs through out this tough time :hug:

mountaindreamer
07-28-2009, 02:41 PM
hi mortified,

i have no experience with grave's disease, but i do recall seeing it mentioned here a few times. Have you tried to a subject search of the different posts?

hope you get some answers soon....the unknown is hard to handle.

mortifiedat52
07-29-2009, 05:30 AM
thanks for the kind words... going to the rheumatologist tomorrow so maybe i'll get some indication then..

the silver lining here is that i've stopped taking prednisone... was on a very low dose anyway, but i felt like it was winding me up even more so i just stopped taking it... and i've gone 4 days without any adverse affects.. yeehah!

i did a search on the site and found several people that had been diagnosed with graves in the past, had recovered, and now have lupus... but i didn't find anyone that had the two simultaneously.. so maybe it's something else.. a drug interaction or something..

SandyR
07-30-2009, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=Danica01;57311]I have never experienced this but my mom has thyroid disease and has had to have hers put to sleep. QUOTE]

I'm so glad that I read this wrong :yes: because first time through I thought you said they had to put your mom to sleep :huh: and I was VERY upset :hissyfit: for you for a minute! Glad it was just me messing it up!!! :yes:

mountaindreamer
07-30-2009, 08:12 PM
oh sandy, that is too funny....i can understand why you were upset at first reading. ha ha ha thanks for a laugh today.

mortifiedat52
07-31-2009, 04:41 AM
ok.. so i officially have "sinus tachycardia", but apparently it's not severe enough to treat.. cause unknown... gave a blood sample to test for thyroid function... results in a few days...

SandyR
07-31-2009, 06:37 PM
what's sinus tachycardia??? I know I could Google it but I figure others reading this want to know too so I am posting it instead.

mortifiedat52
08-02-2009, 01:24 PM
basically, sinus tachycardia is when your heart beats too fast for a given level of exertion... for instance, i have to get up in the night several times to pee.. and with the minimum amount of exertion it takes to get from the bed to the toilet, my heart rate would jump to 123 bpm, totally out of proportion to the level of activity... especially given the fact that i'm fairly athletic and exercise several times a week... there are about a million things that can cause it... in my case, it's not severe, so there is no treatment for it..

i stopped taking prednisone, quit drinking regular coffee, began practicing yoga breathing more often, and just generally am trying to listen to my body more closely.. if i need to sit down and take some deep breaths, I do it... and i'm doing alot better.. last week i felt like jumping out of my skin..

my doctor took a blood sample to test for thyroid level.. over active thyroid is one of the many things that can cause it.. but often, it just resolves on its own...