PDA

View Full Version : Ect

kitkatcandybar
07-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Anyone out there gong through ECT treatments for depression?

Rastagirl
07-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Hello Kit....

I'm not.....but wondered what ECT treatments are exactly.

What does it stand for??? Can you give us some details?

Thanks,

:cool2: Lori

noelg
07-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi there
In response to your question regarding E.C.T., I have not had ECT, but I have worked as a Nurse in Psychiatry for many years and have assisted with many ECT treatments (in Canada). Assuming the procedure is basically the same, ECT was THE most effective treatment for depression that was not responsive to traditional psycho therapeutic medication and psychotherapy. It did have a side effect of some long term memory loss, depending of course on how many treatments you received. However, the benefits far outweighed the side effects for the many I was witness to. The people that received ECT for depression were those for whom this was a so called "last resort" meaning that anti-depressants and psychotherapy had minimal effect on their depression.
It is medically speaking, a relatively safe procedure and painless because they use pre-op medication and anesthesia during the procedure to minimize any untoward effects you may otherwise feel. You basically wake up feeling very rested, slight headache and may, in time notice some memory loss but overall feel, hopefully a lessening of depressive symptoms.
Saying this, I must add that E.C.T. has an individual effect on everyone so what effects one may not necessarily effect the other. Overall, however, I definitely saw it as an effective procedure for depression otherwise non-reactive to "traditional" treatments.
Hope this helps.

Jewelz
07-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Kit

My sister went through numerous weeks of ECT treatment in a hospital. While she agreed to it, in her confused, fragile state....she is angry, so angry that anyone was allowed to do that to her. Her memory's were taken from her and she now struggles with that too. I found it barbaric, but that is my opinion. I don't know if it helped her or what. She was medicated into being a zombie for 2 years after. Once they started to wean her off some of those heavier meds and onto others where she could actually function and not sleep all the time she seemed better. We know she will never be a "normal" (but what is normal?) She has anxieties and tends to be shy and not know what to say.... then she can say some totally inappropriate things - oh well there's lotsa people like that, right:cute: ECT totally took away her remembering how to drive a car! She had to relearn and is now too nervous to drive by herself - she also can't remember how to get places.

My opinion - stay away from it.

Hugs to you
Jewelz

mountaindreamer
07-26-2009, 09:36 PM
hi jewelz,

just want to tell you that i am so sorry that your sister has experienced this horrible event in her life. I hope she improves with each day.

SandyR
07-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Hi Kit!
I haven't had ECT, but am I correct in thinking it's some kind of electric shock therapy?

Rastagirl
07-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Hi Kit!
I haven't had ECT, but am I correct in thinking it's some kind of electric shock therapy?

Eek!!! :shocked:

Seems like that would make me more depressed!

:cool2: Lori