PDA

View Full Version : Neupogen injections and flares?

ButterflyRN
07-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just wondered if any of you have heard that if we lupus patients get neupogen or neulasta injections to boost our white blood cells if that can lead to bad flares?

The reason I am asking is because it is being recommended I receive Nuepogen with my Rituxan treatment next week. I recalled this morning that with my last flare I had a consult with the Lupus Clinic at Johns Hopkins. The physician there told me to never get them because I would have really bad flares.

When I google I really can't find a hard answer. I need to call my physician tomorrow and follow up on this. Just wondered if any of you have heard or experience any issues.

Thanks,
ButterflyRN

mountaindreamer
07-27-2009, 04:47 AM
hi butterfly rn,

i ran accross this thread while trying to catch up here, and i was wondering what you decided about Neupogen.

i hope everything that you are now trying is giving you some relief.

Monique89
07-27-2009, 04:27 PM
I want rituxan!!!!!
Im not sure about the other drug, i havent heard of it :)

mountaindreamer
07-28-2009, 01:40 PM
hi butterfly rn,

i certainly do not have a definitive answer, but i do offer an idea for thought.

My daughter took neulasta when she was going through chemo for breast cancer. If the medication boosted her immune system in some way, then i see where this could lead us lupies to go into a flare....i avoid anything that boosts my immune system.

Why don't you call the rheumatology dept. at john's hopkins and see if they will explain what the dr. said. Surely if you explain what your present drs. are wanting to do, then they will advise of their concerns.

Danica01
07-28-2009, 01:44 PM
It is really hard for us. When we see things that boost our immune systems we really do have to stop and think because mountaindreamer, you are right, this is not good for us! Our immune systems are already on hyper mode and I can see adding more to the mix could actually cause several issues and a flare to boot! I am also wondering what choice was made here :yes: