PDA

View Full Version : Capt. Jack Harkness in the buff! Oh my!

magistramarla
07-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Jane and others in the UK,
Torchwood is back! You may have already seen this, but here in the US, BBC America is showing Torchwood, The Children of Earth, as a 5 night mini-series. We are glued to the TV every evening. It is so good! Especially Capt. Jack in the buff!
Primeval is just finishing a great season, and Dr. Who returns this Sunday with The Planet of the Dead. This is excellent sci-fi.
We've noticed that lately, all of our favorite sci-fi shows are produced in the UK. Even Stargate, which we loved, was filmed in Canada, and I think so was Farscape. I think that there is a new Stargate series coming out soon, too.
Whatever it is that the UK is doing that makes their sci-fi shows so good, I hope that they keep doing it. And please keep sending them to the US.
I'm about to settle in for the next installment,
Marla

Angel Oliver
07-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Oh your in for a treat...i watched the torchwood about the children...sooooo good.xxxxxx

Saysusie
07-23-2009, 03:34 PM
I have to give a loud "AMEN!" to that. Please keep sending them to to U.S. I love Torchwood and have been faithfully watching "Children of Earth". In fact, I've been awaiting its arrival with baited breath. I never got into "Dr.Who" but I will be watching the new werewolf show (can't remember the name of it).
I also think that the U.K makes the best detective shows. One of my favorites was "Prime Suspect" starring Helen Mirren, "Night Dectective" and "Life On Mars" (the U.S. tried to do our version of this show & it was a major flop).
Jack Harkness in the buff ..oh yea :cute:
What I really like about this show (Torchwood) is the fact that they allow Gwen & her hubby to remain in love and devoted to each other. Too many times, especially on American TV, relationships crumble, marriages end, and it always seems as though "love" is something that can never happen (unless the loved one dies for some reason)

I have my TiVo set to record almost everything on BBC America!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
07-23-2009, 06:01 PM
I totally agree with you, SaySusie.
I also love the fact that the relationship between Jack and Ianto is accepted and played so beautifully.
If you ever get the chance, check out some of the older Dr. Who series from the '70s. Tom Baker was the very best Dr. Who. The new ones of the last few years are really good, too.
Marla

magistramarla
07-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Oh SaySusie,
I fear that we both may have spoken too soon. Did you see what happened to Ianto last night? It seems that it is very, very dangerous to get too close to Jack. I can't wait 'til tonight. We're expecting that Gwen will be "let go" because of her "condition". It seems that the writers are getting rid of the entire team, so that Jack can start fresh with a new team.
We'll see if we're right tonight.
Marla

Saysusie
07-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Ok, so now that we've seen Day 5, it appears that the entire show has been written off. Jack is in a space ship somewhere, Ianto is dead, Jack allowed his own grandson to die to save the earth, Torchwood was torched.......what the heck????? I guess this mini-series was their swan song:hissyfit:
I still have to say that I appreciate the commitment that Gwen and her husband have for one another!

Well, I'm disappointed, but the mini-series was excellent. The aliens wanted to use the children as a drug. Who thinks of this stuff?

I will try to check out some of the original "Dr. Who" series, they seemed a bit corny to me, but perhaps I wasn't giving them a fair chance!

Well, perhaps the new shows will fill the void left behind by no more Torchwood!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
07-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Saysusie,
I'm going to miss Torchwood, too.
That last show was a bit disturbing, but good sci-fi is supposed to be disturbing and thought-provoking. I totally "got" what the writers were trying to tell us. We "sacrifice" our sons and daughters during war-time and the politicos justify it and put a "good" spin on it, right?
I think that this is what the hidden message was. It was also quite an indictment of greedy and self-serving politicians.
Oh, but what a guilt-trip that Jack will live with forever! We Dr. Who fans know what eventually happens to him, from the trip that Dr. Who once made through time to see "the end of the universe"!
The old Dr. Who shows are very campy. It was originally made to be a family show, as I understand it. My kids sure loved it as they were growing up!
The super sci-fi fan,
Marla

Saysusie
08-12-2009, 12:44 AM
So, since I've not been a "Dr. Who" fan, tell me what happens to Jack? Was "The End Of The Universe" a fairly recent show on Dr. Who?
I'd like to know what Jack's fate was!
Oh, and I agree with you totally about the underlying message of the mini-series and the finale!! Quite an indictment wasn't it?

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
08-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Saysusie,
In one of the episodes of Dr. Who from a season or two ago, Dr. Who and his companion went billions of years into the future. They encounter "The Face of Bo", which they find out is all that still is alive of Jack. In that time, a terrible plague has wiped out most of humanity, except for those who are stuck driving forever on an underground highway of sorts. I don't remember how or why, but "the Face of Bo" sacrifices his last bit of energy to help those people escape into the "real" world.
It was one of Dr. Who's companions who accidentally made Capt. Jack into "a point in time" when she did something to try to save him. The two shows have always been closely associated. Jeff remembers all of the deatails much better than I do.
Marla

Saysusie
08-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Thank You Marla;
I watched a special about Torchwood and Dr. Who which did a good job explaining the mistake that made Jack immortal. That, along with your explanation, clears things up for me. I've TiVoed several episodes of Dr. Who, but still have not gotten around to watching them.
Have you seen "Being Human"? What do you think of it? Are you a "Primeval" fan? Lots of changes in that show also.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
08-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi Saysusie,
We are Primeval fans. At first, when Jeff was watching it, I just dismissed it as "England's version of Jurassic Park". Then, Jeff played several hours in a row for our grandson David and got him hooked on it. David knows all about dinosaurs as well as all kinds of knowledge about dogs and other animals. I watched with him and got hooked, too.
Wasn't the season cliff-hanger something else? I can't wait for next season!
We're not crazy about werewolf or vampire shows, so we haven't gotten into Being Human.
We have gotten into a new Scifi show called Warehouse 13. It's really fun to watch.
We've also loved Eureka since it started a couple of seasons ago. It's a real hoot to watch.
Scifi and BBC are our favorite channels.
Marla

crmj1183
08-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Ive never watched any of them, I guess I 'll have to at leeast catch torchwood... If its got u ladies talking about it it must be pretty good.

Chriss

Saysusie
08-17-2009, 01:15 PM
I will have to check out Warehouse 13!! Sounds like my kind of BBC SciFi!

Chriss: I know you will enjoy Torchwood. I am sure that they will re-run the shows because it was so popular. Try to check out the other ones also!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

mountaindreamer
08-17-2009, 01:25 PM
hi saysusie and marla,

is "torchwood" available on digital cable....i know i get sci-fi, but i don't about the BBC part.

I will definitely start watching with you.

Saysusie
08-17-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure. I have DirecTV and BBC America is part of my premium package. I know that it is available on HD channels, so it would seem to make sense that it is also available on digital cable.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

mountaindreamer
08-17-2009, 05:05 PM
thanks, i will see if i can find on cable.

Angel Oliver
08-18-2009, 03:55 AM
Hi,

Just a thought.Google bbc i player.I know Torchwood children of earth episode 5 is there to watch.Im not sure if you can see it being in US but no harm in trying if you missed it.xx