PDA

View Full Version : A funny story

rob
07-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Ok,

Here's a funny story for everyone...

My father has a friend named Euclide who lives just across the border in Canada. He was coming across the border to buy some lumber for the new house he was building because at the time it was way cheaper for him to buy it here rather than on his side of the border.

His first language is French, and his English isn't bad, but sometimes he combines his words in such a way that he can be hard to understand, and sometimes, it's really funny. Anyway...

My father goes with him to the lumber yard, and Euclide tells the clerk that he needs to buy some "two by twice" The clerk looks at him and says what the heck is a two by twice? Euclide pulls out his tape measure, points to the numbers 2, and 4, and says he needs wooden boards that are two, by twice. The clerk finally understands and says Oh, you need some two by fours! Euclide nods his head enthusiastically saying Oui! Yes!

The clerk tells him they have plenty of two by fours in stock, then asks Euclide how long he wants them. Euclide looks at him with a puzzled expression on his face, and says-Well, I want them for a long time because I'm building a house!

:lmao:

debbie-b
07-22-2009, 07:49 AM
That is so funny. I have alot of funny stories about myself, German is my first language, when I came to the States, I didn't speak any english. The only thing I remember right now is, I used to say " it's a catch 21".LOL

Debbie

BadFlareDay
07-22-2009, 08:08 AM
LOL you were right,very funny, thanks for the chuckle :laugh:

DrinkofWtr
07-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Speaking of two by fours. I was at a lumber yard one day in Oregon when I heard this guy say but I need a 2 by 2 and they don't have them here. I butted in and said, "Have you ever thought of getting a 2 by 4 and cut it in two?" How dumb can people get? I was amazed by this one.

Rastagirl
07-22-2009, 11:55 AM
:) That's so funny, Rob.....thanks for sharing with us. :laugh2:

It's quite interesting the cultural differences and language differences between cultures. And besides our regular English, the slang terms we all use are so varied in different parts of this country.

And our English can be so challenging with the words we have that have multiple meanings. Like the word 'long' for example. Some cultures or languages are much more specific in using their words....like saying "what is the length...." rather than "how long would you like it?"

When our Japanese exchange student stayed with us, she said the most difficult thing about learning English, especially in the U.S., was that one word could have multiple meanings. And that we have many, many words that are that way.

I'll bet your Dad had a good chuckle over that one.....good to know his friend will be able to have the wood "Long" enough.

:cool2: Lori

leaann
07-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks Rob
That was so funny especially since my husband is a builder he will get a kick out of that story... always need a laugh...:laugh2:

Spanglishqueen
07-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Rob,

That was cute story..thanks for sharing with us.:9:

iseedeadmonkeys
07-22-2009, 02:57 PM
OW ROB.......

mate that is too funny

:) dont you just love those priceless moments!

nice one

ISDM
xxx

SandyR
07-22-2009, 03:01 PM
that's too funny! Thanks, Rob. :)

Angel Oliver
07-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Oh Rob i laughed so unexpectedly i cracked my jaw :) So funny.xxxxx

Danica01
07-23-2009, 12:01 AM
I needed that laugh........that story is great:-) Thanks for sharing it!!!!!!

crmj1183
07-23-2009, 06:32 AM
That is a very cute story, Euclide sounds adorable. He wants it for a long time because he trying to buy a house...lol thats funny. Thx Rob I needed the laugh

Chriss

gina
07-23-2009, 09:10 AM
:laugh-floor:Too cute
you made me laugh at work today. great stroy.

tiggerlishus - Heidi
07-24-2009, 09:08 AM
lmao that is just funny rob!! put huge smile on my face :9:

i love moments like that i think kids are the best one to come out with quotes like that got soo many my niece and nephgews had said makes you giggle :laugh: i think its these moments are the ones that get us through our lupus life thanks for sharing one of your moments xxx

ButterflyRN
07-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Rob that is so funny! Gotta love it!

Pearl
07-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the laugh today!

abbasgirl
07-24-2009, 10:51 PM
LOL! Thanks Rob!

Debbie...that is too cute! LOL

I'm probably wearing it out by now but i have to say it...this place is so great!

Saysusie
07-25-2009, 12:00 PM
ROB;
That was so hilarious. I can see his face as being so serious and not understanding why the clerk would ask him how long he wants the lumber. I bet all of you just fell over with laughter at that point!! Thanks for that laugh, I needed it:8:

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Vester
07-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanx for that I needed it.