PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes We Have To Laugh At Ourselves!

SandyR
07-20-2009, 08:26 PM
:laugh:I am starting this thread because, like the title says, sometimes I just have to laugh at myself. Especially when it comes to brain fog! It's bad enough forgetting a word now and again or forgetting what we were about to do, but at least when we do so, we should to be able to laugh at ourselves and if our friends can get a laugh too, all the better. Here's how I laughed at myself tonight.

I'm making potato salad for a family BBQ that we are having tomorrow. I'm in charge of some veggies so I decided on corn on the cob and red skin potato salad. I am making my potato salad (which was totally inspired by the potato thread) with taters, mayo, onion, celery, bacon, boiled eggs, parsley, dill, touch of mustard and cider vinegar and salt and pepper. I just finished mixing it all together with 2 spices to add and I am looking at the salad and thinking it just doesn't look quite right so I taste it. It tastes good but somethings missing. I want to put it in the fridge and all I need is the mustard and vinegar but still, it doesn't look right. Then it occurs to me. I never cooked the eggs. (head slap) so now, instead of going to bed, I am up writing to you, waiting for the eggs to boil so I can peel them and then I can add them in tomorrow. Hopefully I will also remember the mustard and vinegar!

Saysusie
07-20-2009, 08:41 PM
How funny:)
Well, if we are not able to laugh at our brain fog, we would probably go insane!
So, let me tell you my latest:
I have this small aversion to eating..left over from an eating disorder. Part of my aversion is not wanting to cook anything for myself and always trying to find something to pop in my mouth, just to stave off the hunger.
Anyway, I decided that I would actually make myself something to eat and decided on a toasted cheese sandwich (albeit, veggie cheese 'cuz I'm lactose intolerant). So, I'm standing there, putting the olive oil on the bread and watching the sandwich sizzle to a beautiful golden brown. I am so proud of myself for actually putting something on the stove and cooking it!
I then make myself a nice cup of green tea, take my beautiful golden brown sandwich out of the skillet, and sit down to enjoy. I take a bite out of my sandwich and realize, "Man..there's something really wrong here!". I pry to two pieced of bread apart to discover......NO CHEESE!! How do you make a toasted cheese sandwich with no cheese?
I was, to say the least, mad at myself and truly disappointed. But, because I am so lazy..I just sat there and munched on my cheeseless toasted cheese sandwich and sipped my green tea...shaking my head at the unbelievable stupidity I've just displayed!:omg::duh:
So, yes, we've just gotta laugh at ourselves! Brain Fog in all of its glory!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

crmj1183
07-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Lol, you guys are funny, but I can top that....

Today I was on my way to the doctor office.... mind you I ve been going to this doctor for about 8 years and I know how to get there, well anyway on my way there I completely forgot how to get there I got turned around 3 times isnt that awful? My sense of direction was off, I was so embarrassed, but I finally told a friend and they chuckled which in turn made me laugh and I thought what the heck is wrong with me, it was kinda funny.

lol,lol,lol
Chriss

Saysusie
07-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Oh No......the getting lost thing (especially 3 blocks from home, mind you) is the reason I got a GPS installed in my car as a Christmas gift from my son and my husband! They were less than amused when I was not home when I should have been or when I had to admit that I couldn't remember how to get home! So, now, I don't care where I go, I ALWAYS ask the GPS to give me directions home!!
So, you are not alone! :wacko:

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

SandyR
07-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Saysusie, I would have eaten the dry toast and been lazy to add cheese too! :)
Chriss, I haven't gotten lost yet. In fact my mom calls me a walking GPS because I am fairly good with direction, but I find myself struggling to remember street names or inverting building #s when I want to remember them. I am beginning to rely on the PostIt GPS system! :laugh:

Danica01
07-21-2009, 01:03 AM
You guys are really making me laugh tonight :-) I love it!!!!!! My brain fog is so bad right now that I can not even remember a story to share with you !!! Maybe in the morning after a good nights sleep. Keep the stories coming :sleepy:

mountaindreamer
07-21-2009, 06:47 AM
morning to all,

a couple of days ago, i almost made a "rob and his preparation h" mistake, i laughed at myself and thought "i must share with the group".....now, i can't even remember what it was that happened, so i guess i can't share the story with you. :Thinkingof_:

BadFlareDay
07-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Sandy, while I was reading your story, I was swearing that you were going to say you forgot to add the potatoes :)

Quite often I come up missing my glasses, I run around in a panic trying to find them. First I hunt down the Jack Russell cause I just know he got ahold of them and is having a good time destroying them. Well, he is always innocent so I continue running around the house looking for the glasses. Then it suddenly dawns on me, they are on my face. One of these days you would think I would "REMEMBER" to check my face first lol

red246
07-21-2009, 01:10 PM
:) I thought she was going to say she forgot the potatoes, too! Oh my goodness, I needed this today! Thanks ladies! :hug:

Spanglishqueen
07-21-2009, 02:38 PM
:laugh: WOW are our brain fogs that bad...I thought she was going to say she forgot the potatoes, too! :) Well Chriss and Saysusie I got lost going home from work AND I had the GPS on!!! All I know is I passed my exit and the NEXT thing I hear is "recalculating". LOL :tongue2:

Angel Oliver
07-21-2009, 02:39 PM
:) yes n me too thought the potatoes were gonna be forgotten.
Did you put the cheese on Saysusie when you realised ?
I have some funny stories......when i remember em i'll be back :)

love Amanda.xxxxxx

kducks
07-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Sandy, while I was reading your story, I was swearing that you were going to say you forgot to add the potatoes :)

Quite often I come up missing my glasses, I run around in a panic trying to find them. First I hunt down the Jack Russell cause I just know he got ahold of them and is having a good time destroying them. Well, he is always innocent so I continue running around the house looking for the glasses. Then it suddenly dawns on me, they are on my face. One of these days you would think I would "REMEMBER" to check my face first lol

I did this a couple weeks ago with my glasses. I wear contacts all day but tend to wear glasses at home to let my eyes "breathe" a little at night. Well I walked into the shower the other night, glasses and all completely forgetting they were on my face. I wondered why everything was so clear! LOL I do it all the time with my sunglasses sitting on top of my head. I search around and search before realizing..duh you are wearing them already dummy!

crmj1183
07-21-2009, 04:02 PM
lol, lol, lol

Bonita
07-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Have you ever gone to the washer to get the wash out to put it in the dryer and there is no wash just and empty washer and the clothes on the floor. Bad haw. Bonita and i also did that with my glasses on my face

SandyR
07-21-2009, 07:53 PM
:) You guys are so silly! Forgetting the potatoes really would have made me fall on the floor laughing at this fogginess! :)
Your glasses stories crack me up too. I've gone looking for them & they were already on my face. Walked into the shower with them on. Gone to take them off and they are already sitting on the nightstand/counter. :)
Phyllis, I remember Rob's story. I can only imagine what you might have done! :laugh:

Delphinia981
07-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Girl, I was waiting for you to say you forgot the potatoes, too!!!!! That recipe sounds delish, though. Nom nom.

SandyR
07-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks, Carrie! It was real yummy. I almost didn't even get any of my leftovers since someone ganked mine from my little take home pile of salads but luckily, there was an extra to be had.

BadFlareDay
07-21-2009, 08:59 PM
I always wore one of those plastic headbands. Well I had to have surgery so they took it away. I had my oxygen tube running across my face, it was bugging me so I shoved it up on top of my head. It felt pretty normal sitting there since as I said, I always wore a headband. Later that evening the nurse came in to check my oxygen, I said what oxygen??? She said the one you are wearing on top of your head....no wonder I was having trouble breathing :)

Danica01
07-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Ok, I have to admit that I thought she forgot the potatoes too :-) Sorry Sandy!

I decided to go to the store one evening last week. I went a got dressed and left the house. I went to the store and shopped for about an hour and went home. Tim and I were sitting down to watch a movie and I ran to the bathroom really quick. I looked in the mirror and it turns out I left the house with my short on backwards! I was wondering why people were looking at me :-) Then I started to wonder why Tim didn't tell me.......then I remembered that he loves the clumsiness and brain fog I get! He gets a good laugh out of everything that happens :laugh:

debbie-b
07-22-2009, 04:03 AM
I have told this story a few weeks ago, I have used HAIRSPRAY under my arms, both of them, nerver noticed it until much later, when it felt really sticky.

Debbie

Bonita
07-22-2009, 07:03 AM
That's funny and i also wore deodorant on my head. Bonita:yes:

red246
07-22-2009, 10:29 AM
At least your hair smelled fresh! :laugh:

I have waited all week for today! One of my daughters was going to take the boys to see the new Harry Potter movie. Woohoo, a day to myself! Hmmm, what to do!?!?!? I know, I'll go to Joann's and get fabric to make new drapes for the back door. I got my coupons, 50% off, clipped a little piece off the underside of my tablecloth so I can match my reds and off I went! I felt like I was forgetting something, but couldn't figure out what it was - Oh well, couldn't be too important! :no: I forgot to measure how wide my back door is! :hissyfit: Oh well, at least I now have the pattern for the drapes & the fabric is picked out. At least I remembered to get a sample of it so that when I do go back I know which fabric I liked!

SandyR
07-22-2009, 03:14 PM
debbie & Bonita - sticky arms and sweat free hair are too funny!

Red - :) I was laughing aloud at the image of you with the big bolt of fabric all ready in line and it's your turn and you finally realize that you don't know the yardage you need. This is definately something I would do. Now you have to remember where you put those samples when you go back!

dassar RN
07-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Well today was interesting as I decided to take a 5 min drive to the grocery... on coming out of the store i had no idea which direction to turn, i was so fatigued to do that run that finding the car was another task. I walked around used my alarm and to no avail. I started to panic as my joints were hurting badly. I decided to stop take a deep breath and the car was parked right infront of the store beside the ramp to enter the store.

So maybe i should come up with a brain navigational system or something!!!!

Dassar RN:wacko:

leaann
07-22-2009, 05:10 PM
well with all the funnies going on I guess I will tell one on myself. A couple of months ago I decided that I was going to make some bannana bread (hubby loves it) He knew I was going to make it... I got it all out started making it it was going prefect... I so happy about it... put it in the oven to bake... waited about 45 minutes or so... looked completely done... I'm thinking this is so perfect... went to take it out of the pan and I noticed that even though it looked baked, it poured out of the pan... Hmmm something not right... Stove was on... was the first thing I checked... Got hubby to look at it...he couldn't figure it out... then he ask ...Is it missing something... I looked around the kitchen and noticed that the bag of flour I had, well it had never been opened. Made the bread with out the flour... (no wonder it poured right out of the baking pan) then my dumn A@@ tries to put the flour in it and put it back in the over to see if that would change it...

The dog loved it thats all I have to say about that...

just wanted to share a funny

red246
07-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Lea,

I've done things like that too! My dogs love it when I goof! :yes:

SandyR
07-22-2009, 08:08 PM
:) oh Leann that is too funny! See you guys - I'm not the only one who forgets the ingrediants! :)

Rastagirl
07-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Okay....I guess I'll share my "laugh at myself" moment. Though I still find it a bit embarassing.

When my son was starting his Freshman year at the high school, I went one night to a Freshman Orientation. It was a meeting for the parents. I did the meet the teacher thing, take the school tour, listen to the Principal and Vice Principal give their talks and then it was time to leave. I said my goodbyes to a few parents I knew, and headed out to the Teacher's parking lot to my truck.

Except....my truck wasn't there. I panicked and looked up and down the rows but didn't see it. This was a few years ago, when we were having a lot of car thefts in our area, so I figured someone had stolen my vehicle. I had forgotten to bring my cell phone, so in a panic, I went back in to the school and the first Administrator I saw was the Vice Principal. After an explanation, he went outside to the parking lot with me and we both looked all around. He then proceeded to call the Police for me and began to report my stolen vehicle. As he asked me what my license plate number was, I turned around to answer.........and my eyes landed across the street, at the curb......and there was my truck.

Instantly, I remembered that I had ended up moving my truck out to the street, because a disabled person needed to be closer to the front of the school and I had given up my spot.

I had never been so embarassed in my life....and had to stop the principal, mid phone call, and tell him I had found my truck. He was very gracious to me and insisted it could happen to anyone and he was just glad that it hadn't been stolen. But I felt like such a fool....how could I not remember I had gone back and moved my truck to another spot. Sheesh....it had only been a couple of hours.

Anyway, now whenever I happen to be at the high school for something, it seems I ALWAYS run into HIM in the halls....and I swear he always gives me this funny smile......like, "oh, there's the dumb blonde that loses her truck". :veryhappy:

:cool2: Lori

Bonita
07-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Did you ever get into a car and wonder why there is a box of doughnuts on the seat that you did not buy and then realize you are in the wrong car dawhhhhhhhh Bonita

Saysusie
07-23-2009, 02:50 PM
OMG!! How about.... try to unlock the car and getting angry because it won't unlock. So, start kicking the darn thing, cursing and spitting out epithets that would make a sailor blush...then, call your hubby to ask him to bring the other set of keys 'cuz yours are not working...then sit by the car waiting, until the true owner comes out, looks at you like a criminal, opens his car and drives away!!
Of course, by this point, your hubby arrives with the second set of keys and you have to tell him the whole dumb@!! story and he is not amused :skeptical:

SpanglishQueen;
I can't tell you how often I hear my GPS say.."Recalculating Route" :hissyfit:

Sandy: Actually, the cheeseless toasted cheese sandwich was not all that bad (lol)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Ang123
07-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Then of course there's the wonderful "forgetting words" problem. The other day I was trying to say amusement park and said museum. Realized that was wrong but couldn't think of the right word. Finally blurted out "amuseument park." At least I was just saying it to my husband. :) Now we keep joking about going to the "amuseument" park when I have enough energy.

Forgetting my nephew's name was harder to explain recently... lol

Ang

SandyR
07-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Lori - you reminded me of a car mistake that I made a while back, long before I even heard of Lupus or most of the other AI diseases I now recognize. this is an old one but a dumb move none the less.

I used to work for LeTarget. One day I arrived to work 15 mins or so early and did not want to go in right away seeing as I would have to start answering all those questions people like to answer the shift manager the minute they walk through the door so I decided to listen to some tunes with the windows open to enjoy my last few minutes of precious freedom. Then I caught the reflection of a woman walking away from me in the side mirror and thought, "Aunt Cathy! I should go say hi.". So I turned off the car, closed my windows, locked my doors (this was not a power lock car), grabbed my bag and started to run after her before I realized, I left the keys in the car! :) The dealership wouldn't even cut an emergency key without proof of ownership such as title and registration, which were locked in the car. He even suggested I go home to get the spare key to get these items. I didn't even have a clue where my spare set was at the time so I had to call the locksmith to break into my car to fish out my keys. Not only was I 45 minutes late to work (from the parking lot) while I waited on the tow truck, turned out when I saw the woman leave, it wasn't even my aunt!!!! :) It was an expensive lesson I never forgot since, years later, I now triple check to see if my car keys are in my bag.

Bonita
07-24-2009, 02:24 PM
That was so funny beats mine Bonita i guess this is a stress reliever to laugh at ourselves this month has been a bad one for me.

Spanglishqueen
07-24-2009, 03:50 PM
LOL! Talk about an expensive Brain Fog. Hubby was out of town and I had plans to go to a Phantom Gourmet Wine Festival in Boston 45 minutes from my house. My friend who was going had a family emergency so I decided I would still go, but I wanted to be responsible so I decide to take a cab to the nearest train station 20 miles away. $50 expensive but no problem at least I would be safe. So I got there and DUMB ME:pat: didn't even think that Trains ran on different schedules on the weekend got there and the train had left 15 minutes earlier. Next train was not due for another 2 hours and by the time I got into Boston the event would be over. Sol I had to pay $50 more to get home. It was embarrassing telling the "cabbie" the story and explaining to the hubby why it cost $100 to end up drinking wine and watching TV alone :). Well at least I can laugh at myself now. :laugh: So see Sandy forgetting the eggs was the most harmless thing you did that day :tongue2:

magistramarla
07-24-2009, 06:19 PM
This reminds me of a good joke:
The older I get (insert brain fog here), the more I think about the hereafter.
I go into a room and then wonder "What was I here after?".

I know all about the brain fog. I would often forget a word that I should have known in class. My students got quite good at finishing sentences for me.

Marla

abbasgirl
07-25-2009, 12:04 AM
:laugh:

i feel better and less alone about the fog. Thanks. Another great thread idea!

Saysusie...I have done that too...just sit and eat what I had instead of getting up to fix it.

brandichi
07-25-2009, 08:28 AM
I love these stories, and it's perfect timing because I really needed to laugh today. I may as well share one of mine that happened just a few days ago.

My cousins are visiting from across the country and I haven't seen them in about 20 years. We all went to my parents' for dinner the other night, and I rested up all day so I would be able to help Mom with the cooking. One of my cousins has as restricted a diet as I have, not due to celiac like me, but because of dialysis and diabetes, and eats lots of veggies like I do. So Mom was planning to serve broccoli, brussels sprouts, corn on the cob, and asparagus. Not to mention steak, baked potato, garlic bread, jello, and salad. Somehow the time got away from all of us as we were visiting, and dinner was much later than planned. I was taking everything out of the kitchen and my dad was getting impatient - and hungry! So he insisted that I stop bringing everything out for a minute and sit down so we could say grace. I don't like being interrupted in the middle of something because with my brain fog, it will leave my mind completely, never to return. But I was nearly finished, and everyone wanted to wait on the corn for a bit, so I sat down, started eating, and ...when everyone was finished I said, "OH - the corn!!" Just two of us wanted it and it was very overcooked by then. Still, we all sat and visited. As we all finished, my other cousin said he didn't have any brussels sprouts, and we should be pleased at that because it, ummm, doesn't quite agree with him. That's when it hit me. THE BRUSSELS SPROUTS WERE STILL IN THE MICROWAVE!!!!!!!! :embarrassed: They all thought it was funny, but I was soooo embarrassed.

The worst thing of all is that Mom planned to give me all the leftover veggies to take home, and, well, brussels sprouts are my LEAST favorite. Now I have a whole pound of them to get through in the next few days. Ugh. Damn brain fog!!!!!!! :hissyfit:

SandyR
07-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Brandichi,
Oh no! :wideeyed: Brussel sprouts. I don't like them either. :nah: I am told that they are delicious if you slice them in half and sautee them with some olive oil, sea salt & garlic. Maybe they would be good with some cheesy sauce too. Hope you find some good way to eat them.
Sandy

Vester
07-25-2009, 10:23 PM
I was really feeling down and out tonight and ready to give up on trying but all of you have made my night. It is nice to know that we aren't in this alone. I love the stories.

SandyR
07-26-2009, 08:01 AM
I'm so glad I started this thread. It was to make me feel better about my own fog stupidity and I am glad you were all able to share it with me and get some humor therapy from it too!