PDA

View Full Version : Fish Oil and Flax Oil???

crmj1183
07-20-2009, 07:55 PM
I was doing some reading and I read somewhere that Flax seed is good for lupus nephritis, anyway I thought Id try it out to see if it actually works. I was wondering does anyone take flaxseed? And does anyone take fish oil? Fish oil is supposed to be good for you for a lot of other reasons, I didnt hear or read anything about that for lupus nephritis. I just thought it would be a good idea to take it. So Im taking any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Chriss

Oluwa
07-20-2009, 08:23 PM
I do, I do. I think it is an excellent choice to take. Fish Oil was recommended by my doctor to lower my triglycerides...and it did. It was 199 if I recall correctly and it dropped to 57.

But times I wonder if it was so high because the day before I was baking, cookie and etc for the holidays that year...sampling and etc. Okay I probably ate a dozen...

Well, bake goods in an abundance running through your blood stream before blood tests will jack up your triglycerides...s I read...

I dose with Fish Oils 2400mg daily also for it's anti-inflammatory affects. Omega-3 fatty acids benefit the heart of healthy people, and those at high risk of or who have cardiovascular disease. Cardiovascular disease is a common symptom of Lupus and I have early disease in my family history...so I dose..

I cook with Flaxseed oil and olive oil. Same, same...inflammation. One of these substances in Flaxseed oil and seeds itself is alpha-linolenic acid...an essential fatty acid that appears to be beneficial for heart disease, inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis, and other health conditions. Many good reason to take since we have Lupus...eh.

I use fresh ground flaxseed in my yogurt..too.

So, Bon Appetit'.
Love,
Oluwa

SandyR
07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I take flax seed. I used ground flax seeds because I found out that the unmilled kind are like corn - all they do is travel your body from beginning to end. The milled kind is really good with my IBS. :yes: My sister, the nurse, has been after me for a long time to get into fish oil but I have been really lazy/forgetful about it.

crmj1183
07-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Oh goody goody

Im so glad you guys have taking or at least agee with my new found food choices!!! I cant wait to start tomorrow.

Oluwa: I know you would come through in a clutch with some type of info.

Sandy R: I think you should join me on the fish oil bandwagon.... c'mon, c'mon.

Also what else do u guys take for lupus???? Like healthy stuff? Both if you guys seem really well besides LUPUS! AAAAGGGGGHHHH! but for the most part you guys seem to be doing very well. anymore helpful concotions or anecdotes???

Love Chriss
Thanks Guys

Danica01
07-21-2009, 01:12 AM
I used to take fish oil and I also got a little lazy. The only thing I have to say about it is that if you burp a few hours after you take it, it smells and taste like you just ate fish sticks:-) I always thought this was so funny!!!!! I may have to try the flax seed for my IBS. It never hurts to try. We should both start both of them and compare notes!!!! Keep us posted and let us know of either of them really help you :yes:

Oluwa
07-21-2009, 05:18 AM
Whole flaxseed no benefit from it unless ground. I use a mortar. As Sandy said, end to end still a whole seed. You can buy it in the seed section of spice section of your market.

On the Fish Oils they have no burp kind. Nature Made I burp the fish but only at first...Finest Natural..no burping scales, fins and gills.

I also supplement with 65mg of Iron and Nature Made Super B Complex....

Enjoy Tuesday...I will even it beats me to a pulp.

Love,
OLuwa

crmj1183
07-21-2009, 05:28 AM
Danica: I will keep you posted on how this effects me.

Oluwa: Im actually gonna take flake oil.... 2 tblspoons a day with lunch, its about 28mg. I read 30 mg are most effective for lupus nephritis, so ill probably take a lil drip over 2 tblspoons. I will let you all know how this pans out.

Love Chriss

mountaindreamer
07-21-2009, 05:47 AM
hi all,

i sprinkle flaxseed on my oatmeal in the morning.

i take a prescrition omega 3....my dr. said i could take the over the counter fish oil, but it is not as precise as the prescription. the script is kinda expensive, so i usually combine the over the counter with the script. and yes, there is coated capsules that reduce the fish burp....also, keeping the capsules in the frig will help reduce this as well.

i also take calcium with vitamin d and a vitamin b injection once a week.

hope everyone has a wonderful tuesday.

crmj1183
07-21-2009, 06:08 AM
I was trying to take the b-12 pill everyday, but I just cant get with it. I usually try to stay on top of it during the school season, but I still dont,lol
I take caltrate and one a day multivitamin.

thx mountaindreamer

mountaindreamer
07-21-2009, 06:13 AM
good morning chriss,

you might want to consider the injection. I give myself the shot once a week, it is a script so insurance pays for it, and the needle is small so it does not hurt.

my rheumy strongly insists that i include the vitamin b shot in my regular med routine.

Spanglishqueen
07-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi Chriss,

I take Woman's one a Day multi-vitamin, fish oil , B-12 vitamin, SamE, a glucosomine supplement (Bioflex ro something like that), and Metamucil. Those are just the supplements. The only way I got into a rhythm of taking them was when my mom sent me a pill case. It's a seven day one that way I know when I took them (used to forget and take them twice or not at all :) I keep it on top of the microwave , so it's the first thing I see in the kitchen in the mornings, and I actually do feel less stiff and tired now.

crmj1183
07-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanx Mountaindreamer,

I think I will ask her about that, Ive heard of that before, do u give it to yourself or do I go to the doctor?

Delphinia981
07-21-2009, 08:17 PM
I take both...and have gotten great response from both (and other supplements as well). I'm convinced that my diet of vitamins and supplements works better than my meds!!!

SandyR
07-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Sounds like a deal to me! Now to remember to buy the Fish Oil when I am in the store next. :yes:

crmj1183
07-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Its really inexpensive too, I went to the vitamin store got 100 capsules for 4.99, ooohhhh ohhhhhh, I was happy

Danica01
07-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Danica: I will keep you posted on how this effects me.

Oluwa: Im actually gonna take flake oil.... 2 tblspoons a day with lunch, its about 28mg. I read 30 mg are most effective for lupus nephritis, so ill probably take a lil drip over 2 tblspoons. I will let you all know how this pans out.

Love Chriss

Thank you!!!!! I will look forward to seeing how you do. If I pick some up and try it I will keep you posted too. I am also really bad about staying on top of supplements. I think we need to leave sticky notes on the mirror so when we get ready in the morning we will remember. Or we could even try putting a cup by the bathroom sink and leave the bottle out and it will be a reminder!!!! I think I might try that :yes:

Good luck love!!!!!