PDA

View Full Version : IC or Kidney's?

Mckinney906
07-20-2009, 07:40 AM
This is something I am going to ask my new Rhuemy tomorrow but I am very concerned about my kidneys... I have had a constant bladder/uti for almost 8 months now... I know this because everytime i'm at my general doctors office or in the hospital which has been basically once or more a month for the past few months they detect a UTI/Bladder infection and try to put me on antibiotics... I do have IC and have a Urologist appointment in a few weeks but I am freaking out that my lupus is affecting my kidneys... I have done those at home strips and it always comes back with protien in my urine... can anyone offer any insight or advice on this?? I am very concerned and my general doctors office/hospital's answer is just to hand out antibiotics like candy.

karenboss
07-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Others will post who know more - but you are doing the right thing to go in. Try not to stress too much though becuase that makes it worse! There are some very effective treatments - just try to take it one step at a time, ok?

crmj1183
07-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Mckinney906,
Have they started you on cellcept? I have lupus nephritis and my doctor prescribed me that first before I actually went to chemo. While I was taking chemo, I was still taking the med to assist the chemo in helping my kidneys.when it comes to protein in your urine, there really isn't anything you can do to prevent it, its just one of those things that happen with lupus. Is your blood pressure high? If it is you'll need to keep it down because high blood pressure damages your kidneys. I'm on blood pressure meds, but the best thing that's been working for me is Garlic, I eat a clove in the morning and a clove before I go to bed.if you take some garlic before you go to the doctor and they take your blood pressure it will be lower, but if you do it on a consistent basis it will surely lower your pressure. Hang in there, keep me posted

Chriss

mountaindreamer
07-20-2009, 10:09 AM
hi McKinney,

i can't believe this, you are the first person that i have found who also suffers from IC....i was diagnosed over 10 years ago, and i control it with diet...the pain can be off the charts.

Lupus nephritis (lupus of the kidney) is not painful....so, if you are concerned that any pain is from lupus nephritis, it is not. However, lupus nephritis always includes protein in the urine. I went through a period a few months ago where i was worried about my kidney, but everything checked out borderline, so they "are watching me closely" for awhile. I was experiencing serious pain in my left flank, and the nephrologist (after several tests) said he thinks the lupus is attacking the small tissue around the kidney.

I hope you can get some answers tomorrow....however, i have find that most drs. just write everything off to lupus....