PDA

View Full Version : Non Epileptic Siezures

justomegirlindallas
07-19-2009, 05:14 PM
I was in the hospital for a few days because my periods of absense like siezure events got really bad while in the urologists office to the point where I was very confused and got really distressed because I wasn't sure what was going on. I went to the Neurology floor while I was there to see my neurologists nurse and they sent an Ambulance. I was admitted for Video EEG monitoring and thankfully I had some events while I was hooked up. Most of the events seemed to occur around a lot of stimulation and under stress. I have always had these absense-like spells but never this bad and they have never impacted my life to this degree. What kicked off the particular lengthy string of episodes was talking to my urologist. I just kind of started checking out while I was listening to her and getting very confused. While I was in the hospital my resting heartrate kept soaring as did my blood pressure.

Long story short, it looks like Pychogenic Nonepileptic Siezures. In short, its a psychological response to extreme stress. They're still siezures they're thankfully not the kind that cause brain damage.

The Neurologist that came to talk to me would not tell me this - it took a resident who explained that PNES is a sensitive topic because it is poorly understood and incites angry responses.

The neurologist talked around the issue. To top it off, he ordered a brain MRI because my last one failed. I wouldn't do it though without anaesthesia because I didn't want another one to fail. He wouldn't order one on the weekend and wanted me to stay in the hospital until Monday to which I started asking questions about why I needed a brain MRI and what was he thinking? He then decided to tell me I didn't need one. After a full day of stressing out about having to have a brain MRI I asked him "So, if I don't need a brain MRI, why did you order one" to which he responded "We're neurologists, we like to run tests and study the brain, thats what we do" I asked him to tell me what he was thinking what did he think the problem was. He responded by telling me that he thought all of the testing I was having done was stressing me out and that I was very anxious.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - over? If all of this testing was causing me stress that was causing me to check out then why were you ordering even more tests??

I have never, in my life, met one single neurologist that made any sense whatsoever.

Ironically enough the first doctor I asked for when I got admitted to the hospital was a psychiatrist because my panic attacks kicked in really bad and I couldn't control them anymore when I went to the doctors office. (I have really bad white coat syndrome)

I'm really sorry but very few doctors have really actually helped me. Its always been a nurse with the exception of about as many cases as I can count on less than two hands.

crmj1183
07-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Anna,

So what are they saying that they are going to do about this? Outside of the the testing that they did, does this seizure/panic attack need meds? Or....? Im really sorry to hear your going through all of this right now. First, the protein in your urine now this, I hope things turn around really soon, Keep me posted.

Stay strong my dear
Chriss

Danica01
07-19-2009, 11:31 PM
I am so sorry this is happening to you love. This has to be hard an even harder emotionally and this may even cause more of these episode! It could be a vicious cycle if the doctors don't get it under control. I can not believe the doctor is so nonchalant about all of this! This could be very serious for you and your life! It just burns my biscuits to think about this :zx11pissed: Please hang in there and try to lay down and rest when you are starting to feel stressed. I really don't want this happening to you all the time. Stress is horrible and I hope it all goes away for you!!!!! I also find neurologist a bit difficult to not only understand but to deal with......not a very good bed side manner, thank goodness for nurses! I am sending you thoughts of peace and lots of gentle hugs for the hard times :hug:

debbie-b
07-20-2009, 04:35 AM
Neurologists are my least favorite doctors too. I have seen a couple, for nerve conduction tests and both of them were jerks, I don't know why that is. I just hope that you will find out, what is going on and that they can help you.

Debbie

Oluwa
07-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Can you imagine all these doctors chatting it up in their lounge....I wonder what it sounds like. One big buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I am wondering when they jibber to one another does it make sense to each of them....

I am sorry you had that happen....Shame.. one goes to the doctor and stresses so much about it and get ills... I do it too, get ill emotionally. Stressing about how to deal with the doctors persona than the disease itself...

Simply inane..madness.

Love and squeezes, Anna..
Oluwa

leaann
07-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Sorry to hear about the issues with the doctor... I can truely understand how that can stress you out....

A cople of years ago I was having seizures like problems started checking out while I was at work.... they called my husband and he rushed me to the hospital... when we got there I was just about completley checked out... he says he went inside to get some help and no one offered to help him so he gets a wheelchair and wheeled me in still checking out explained to the nurse what was going on and what my medical condition was she states that I needed a head dr. and that we could just wait in the waiting room like all the rest...

hubby gets on the phone calls the dr and the dr calls the emergancy room talks to someone they and before I ever really came to I was sitting at the dr office being injected with medication...

when I was able to understand what was going on the dr stated that the hospital had a bunch of idoits working that day... they should have known what my problem was...

problem was I was down to a hand full of blood platelets... Needless to say I hubby calls dr before going to er to make sure she knows what is going on...

sometimes dr seem to think they know it all, when if they had the problems they would think differently about the issue...

I don't understand for the life of me if a dr states you need a test and then says but the tests and all are stressing you out and then cancele the test how does he expect it not to stress you out... Hmmm where are some drs heads...:omg:

lucky7
07-20-2009, 02:43 PM
SO SORRY you have to deal with this. I am thinking of you and sending you gentle hugs. XXXXX I wish the best for you and i give that nurse a hug as well!:cute:

justomegirlindallas
07-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses. I had a fairly traumatic ER experience a week before so I think my brain shut down. I started taking Klonopin and cancelled all of my follow ups so I could catch a break for a couple of months. Going to the doctor was killing me :)