PDA

View Full Version : Question...

lagrace
07-17-2009, 11:05 AM
What is the difference between Lupus and Fibromyalgia? The doctor tried to explain it to me but I still do not have a full grasp on the difference.

Oluwa
07-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Hey, Lagrace..

Lupus is an auto-immune disease
Fibromyalgia is a Syndrome.

Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition characterized by body aches, widespread pain, sleep problems, extreme fatigue, depression, anxiety, and other symptoms, in combination with tenderness of specific areas (muscles and tender points) on the body. Fibromyalgia is a type of soft tissue or muscular rheumatism and does not cause inflammation, joint damage or deformities.

Lupus is a chronic, inflammatory, autoimmune disease. Lupus can affect the joints, skin, kidneys, lungs, heart, nervous system and other organs of the body.

Is this what you were looking for...or were you looking for personal experience on how to distinguish the two apart?

Love,
Oluwa

lagrace
07-17-2009, 01:03 PM
That is exactly what I was looking for. I had my second opinion today with a rhumatologist. I really like her. She drew bloodwork and said at this time she believes that it is Fibromyalgia. She also told me to keep an open mind about Lupusn but she does not think that I have it. If the bloodwork comes back positive with a higher ANA, she would revisit the Lupus diagnosis. She wants me to be followed.

Love,Lisa

Danica01
07-19-2009, 07:59 AM
I, along with a few others on here.....ok a lot of us, actually have both. It is hard for me to distinguish between the two at times but the doc will tell me if she thinks it is my Lupus flaring or the Fybro. Oluwa was so clear and I am so happy she posted that response!!!! Thanks!!!!! Good luck with the blood work and keep us posted on what the doctor has to say :veryhappy:

Saysusie
07-19-2009, 11:53 AM
One of the primary differences is the fact that Lupus is a DISEASE and Fibromyalgia is a CONDITION. That difference means that the disease can become life-threatening and the condition can never become life threatening (just debilitating).

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Danica01
07-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Saysusie, I never knew that and my doctors never described them in that way. It makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for that information!!!!!! You and Oluwa are always so helpful and can be counted on to explain so much to us!