PDA

View Full Version : Ladies: Does This Happen With Your Mylar Rash?

SandyR
07-16-2009, 09:28 PM
It always seems like I get an acne outbreak the week before my cycle, but it's not really acne. It's more like a rash that develops only on my cheek bones. More the right then the left. Does this happen to you? The bumps on the rash always go away a few days into the cycle and then the rash is flat again. Flat and bright red.

I probably should have put this in the symptoms lounge but I acted posted it before I thought of that.

brandichi
07-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Oh my gosh, I never even thought *that* could be related to lupus! I get something very similar - acne breakouts right before my cycle, kind of under my cheekbone. Mine go away soon after my cycle starts too, and it goes back to being the usual rash. (And here I was blaming it on chocolate and Pepsi One...!! Does this mean I don't need to give them up after all?!?!) :)

SandyR
07-16-2009, 09:46 PM
brandichi, it's only in the last months that I am realizing there might be a connection for me. This "acne" thing has been going on for about a year and a half or so. I never broke out as a kid. I mean never. I was the person you hate because I didn't do anything to have good skin. Then one day I wake up and there are all these bumps! :shocked: I thought I had adult acne, but it's so specific in location and time that adult acne doesn't make sense to me. I didn't think of it as being Lupus or AI at all until I realized a few months ago that my "rosy cheeks" are probably more then just that since they too weren't around in my teens.

brandichi
07-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Okay, I'm officially jealous of your teenage years now. I had my share of breakouts, and always at the worst possible times! In my 20's and 30's though, it stopped except when I had too much junk food. I didn't have rosy cheeks at all as a teen - I spent a fortune in blush. Guess that's one benefit to lupus...zero dollars spent on blush anymore. I'm wondering...could this have anything to do with estrogen? I've heard that women who have lupus are 'estrogen heavy' and I wonder if there is a connection between that and the acne-type breakouts around our cycle? I could be way off on this, just sort of typing as I think.

SandyR
07-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Brandichi - I never thought of an estrogen connection and it's the obvious answer. I am going to have to do some investigating on that one.

Oluwa
07-17-2009, 01:55 PM
I have no cycle...well, a bicycle...my Easter basket is empty...but I do get bumps amongst my flat diaper rash. For me, they sprout up from sun exposure...and an abnormal amount of stress.

L.
O.

SandyR
07-17-2009, 08:48 PM
:) Oluwa you had me laughing aloud with the easter baskets and bicycles! Do you think that there is a sun/estrogen/bump link. I am in the sun more or less an even amount all month so it seems a little weird (and annoying to think it looks like acne) that these stupid bumps only show up certain days of the month??? I get more plaque like raised areas with too much sun other times of the month.

iseedeadmonkeys
07-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Sandy

I get the achny looking rash before i go into flareland...which follows the malar.

then takes about 200 years to control the rash.....

ISDM

SandyR
07-18-2009, 08:38 PM
hmmmm...I really hope that's not it Jane because I have been feeling good for a few weeks now. I don't want to deal with a flare, even though I know chances are good one will reoccur. I guess I will have to wait and see what happens.

Oluwa
07-18-2009, 09:47 PM
For me...my butt rash seems to have no rhyme or reason to it.

Flaming red when on the PC too long.
Even no flare - flaming red.
Flare - any shade from pink to red.
Sun - brilliant red...bumps.
Stress can bring out the humps.
Always - there is some shade of red.

Right now, rose petal pink with a smudge of red...flat, smooth, soft...like a butt that has been slapped. Twack..

My bumps don't look like acne..like dry hard bumps, that flake off..peel...not many, scatter about 3 -5 each cheek.

They have done studies regarding the link of estrogen to SLE..possible, but not proven.

Night, night.
Love,
O.

Danica01
07-19-2009, 08:18 AM
I never broke out either and started about three years ago.........it was bad but ok at the same time. I ended up seeing a dermatologist and she gave me some things to help with the bumps. I did have some issues with my hormones and a lot of people do not take the pill with Lupus because of the side effects but for me it was the best decision. When my hormone levels were out of wack I would break out and I would go into a flare shortly after. She actually put me on a pill, my rheumy and gynecologist along with my family practitioner were all on board, that made it so I didn't have a period at all and it has made all the difference in my life when it comes to hormones affecting everything. I am on Lybrel, wash my face with Brevoxyl wash, use metro-gel for the little bumps and differin for the acne like bumps. I am happy to report I have not had one single bump...pimple in over a year and a half. If you are that concerned, I would go see a dermatologist and they will work with will work with all the other doctors to set something up for you. Good luck and keep me posted on how you are doing. I am sending you healing thoughts and of course, lots of gentle hugs :hug:

MicRoMediC
07-19-2009, 08:27 AM
yep happens to me, i figured it was just hormones