PDA

View Full Version : a Q for people in a hot and dry climate....

TobyJug
07-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Who of you lives in a Hot and more importantly Dry climate?

I am wondering how bad the Lupus effects you....
I want to know this because when I was living in Perth, Western Australia I felt on top of the world...

In the UK however I am worse than ever so I am now wondering if this is climate related humidity or just that the diseases have become more active then ever and worse...

Somehow I have this idea in the back of my head that if I was in a hot and dry place like Perth again that I would be near enough fine and not in need of all my meds....

So please people living in such a hot and dry climate tell me how u feel....

Angel Oliver
07-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Oh i best say nothing then im in Manchester :) Hope you are well n lovely lady n beautiful baby too.Oh n the fab truck.
Yes ive heard hot climates are good ,but there again too much sun could be a problem for the skin n flares.But if you go to Perth....im packing right now lol.

Love Amanda.xxxxxxxx

TobyJug
07-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Oh i best say nothing then im in Manchester :) Hope you are well n lovely lady n beautiful baby too.Oh n the fab truck.
Yes ive heard hot climates are good ,but there again too much sun could be a problem for the skin n flares.But if you go to Perth....im packing right now lol.

Love Amanda.xxxxxxxx

I will let u know....

hope u well too....

x

justanangel
07-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi
I live in Karratha in Western Australia, about 1550kms up from Perth, it is much hotter than Perth, gets to 45 degrees celcius. And the hot weather doesn't make any difference to me, in fact I first found out I had lupus when I was living in another hot place, Mount Isa in Qld. (Much the same weather). Since I moved here to Karratha 2 years ago, I have had the worst flares I have ever had, with lupus pneumonia affecting my lungs 3 times, two times in Perth hospital. I think everyone is individual in how they cope.

You may be the total opposite to me though.

Love Helen

TobyJug
07-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi
I live in Karratha in Western Australia, about 1550kms up from Perth, it is much hotter than Perth, gets to 45 degrees celcius. And the hot weather doesn't make any difference to me, in fact I first found out I had lupus when I was living in another hot place, Mount Isa in Qld. (Much the same weather). Since I moved here to Karratha 2 years ago, I have had the worst flares I have ever had, with lupus pneumonia affecting my lungs 3 times, two times in Perth hospital. I think everyone is individual in how they cope.

You may be the total opposite to me though.

Love Helen

Hey Helen,

I know Karratha I always used to drive through on my way to Port Hedland and Broome..
I had a friend there for a while too... Bill Roestenburg..

Sorry to hear about your pain...
It's interesting to hear though as I used to feel great in that heat....

Hope u feeling good at the moment and that the Lupus wolf stops chasing u for now...

hugs x

iseedeadmonkeys
07-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Our heat waves we have over here are a completely diff kind of heat to that of somewhere like oz same with our winter is really diff too, cause of the climate etc.

When you was in oz you said you felt on top of the world, yet being here you dont,

Helen have you ever lived in the UK?, so i think it just affects everyone differently depending on where they live and what your used to (cultral)

Has the thunderbugs (shrips) harvested in runcorn? they were out with avengence today i was covered...because wearing sun cream too ERGH!!!

ISDM

BonusMom
07-16-2009, 08:07 PM
I live in the Sacramento, CA area and it's been hot and dry since I can remember. We recently traveled north to Anderson, CA. It was a warm 97 degrees--not scorching by any stretch-and I'd been outside about an hour. The ole autonomic neuropathy kicked in and I COULDN'T sweat to save my life! I started getting the chills-signs of heat stroke-in spite of drinking a lot of water. When I felt like I was going to faint, I finally went in to an RV. When my body started to cool down a bit, I finally started sweating and sweating and sweating. I felt pretty crummy until the sign finally went down. As long as I was in the shade, it wasn't too bad, but the direct sunlight about did me in.

From what I've read, you do better in an environment that offers a bit of humidity.

TobyJug
07-17-2009, 03:43 AM
Nope Jane not got here....
x

interesting this....because I thought it's the humidity that is killing me....
getting confused now... lol

will have to see what more people say and make up my mind... might just be that I have gone a lot sicker and that that would have happened regardless.... :S
Thanks for the replies so far...

x

Monique89
07-17-2009, 03:59 AM
Well i havent had a summer yet since i have been diagnosed, but all of my symptoms emerged in December, the start of summer.
I live in Melbourne, our summers are extremely hot and dry (re the bushfired last summer im sure they probably made international news??)
Sorry i cant really help much, as i have never lived anywhere else...but my doctor did tell me that humidity could worsen the joint stiffness etc. He advised against going on holidays to northern QLD until my lupus was more under control..

TobyJug
07-17-2009, 04:21 AM
Well i havent had a summer yet since i have been diagnosed, but all of my symptoms emerged in December, the start of summer.
I live in Melbourne, our summers are extremely hot and dry (re the bushfired last summer im sure they probably made international news??)
Sorry i cant really help much, as i have never lived anywhere else...but my doctor did tell me that humidity could worsen the joint stiffness etc. He advised against going on holidays to northern QLD until my lupus was more under control..

mmm so your doctor confirms my thoughts then about the humidity...
I did hear about the Melb fires but not on the news lol I have friends there...

hope u feeling ok..

x

leaann
07-17-2009, 06:58 AM
Hello,

I live in South Carolina, very close to Georgia. It is very hot and humid here. I haven't made my mind up as to if it is better to be in cooler climit or hotter climit. They both have about the same effect on me. but I think I prefer the cooler climit. I am having more issues right now due to the weather then I do in the fall and spring. but winter is not so nice to me.

Saysusie
07-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Well, I live in Victorville, California. This is actually the desert (the Mojave Desert) and is very hot and very, very dry. As far as it being helpful to my Lupus, I would have to say resoundingly...NO!!!! The only thing that I do not suffer greatly with is immense arthritic pain. However, due to the relentless heat and glaring sun (it was 102 degrees yesterday and promises to get up to around 112 before the summer is over), I suffer horribly from nausea, fatigue, muscle aches, fainting spells, frequent flare-ups that take forever to subside and instantaneous sun sickness (and all that this entails). My face is always red with rash, my muscles ache and burn 24/7 and I spend lots of time getting to feel the porcelain of my toilet!
Personally, I do not think that there is a friendly climate for those of us who suffer from Lupus! Each climate, in its own way, causes us some kind of grief.
I have to adjust my life every summer in order to survive. I guess that is what we all must do, depending upon the season and how it affects us..regarldess of where whe live :no:

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

rob
07-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Hey Toby,

I lived for many years in one of the hottest, dryest places in the U.S., Phoenix Arizona. It's regularly 115 degrees and zero percent humidity for as much as 8 months strait. I now have lived in Maine for 3 years again, and I can tell you that my flares are much milder in the cool, humid climate we have here on the Gulf of Maine. From what I gather talking to you, and Amanda and Jane over there in the U.K., your weather and my weathr here are very similar. We don't have terribly cold winters, and we don't have terribly warm summers either. Today, it's about 60F and fairly humid and overcast. It rains alot here.

In Arizona, I could tolerate the heat well, I was stationed on the Mexico border and was outside every day, and in civillian life, I worked and hiked outside in the summer and did fine. When I started to get SLE symptoms, and after the diagnosis, I could not tolerate anything over 80 degrees F. I would overheat, not cool down, sweat uncontrollably, and collapse/pass out. My joints hurt worse than they ever have, and I was much worse off from the standpoint of flares than I am now that I live in a cooler climate. This was well before my MS diagnosis and symptoms, so I'm sure that what I experienced was due only to SLE. Hope this helps.

Rob

PS- Your new truck looks awesome!

tiggerlishus - Heidi
07-17-2009, 02:49 PM
well i can't really remember when i lived in florida but when i go to visit i find mentally i feel better but phisically i blow up like a huge ballon have to take water tablets and stay out of the direct sun as make me so fatigued i think saysusie is right when she said

"Personally, I do not think that there is a friendly climate for those of us who suffer from Lupus! Each climate, in its own way, causes us some kind of grief.
I have to adjust my life every summer in order to survive. I guess that is what we all must do, depending upon the season and how it affects us..regarldess of where whe live"

hope this helps xxxxx

annie1
07-22-2009, 05:14 PM
I found the same personally. Have just spent the last two weeks in Cyprus - and have had no flares or problems for the fortnight (was pure bliss). And within hours of touching down in the UK again I had a massive flare up, still suffering the consequences.

Not sure if it was down the the temperture or the flight home?!?!?

Hope this helps a bit.

Danica01
07-23-2009, 12:53 AM
I currently live in Phoenix, Arizona. It is extremely hot and dry. Today our high was 111!!!!!! The doctors actually think that my move to Arizona from Ohio was to much due to the climate change and that is what triggered my Lupus and decided to show its pretty little head. Back to your question.........the sun is out almost everyday and it beats down on you and burns your skin so fast! Every morning they announce on the news how long it will take you to get a sunburn........a few days ago it was only 5 minutes!!!!!! Because of the constant exposure to the sun....my Lupus will flare quite often. I will get really tired, have muscle pains and even fevers. The dryness is really rough on the skin and we already have to much to worry about.....I just put a lot of lotion with a high SPF on throughout the entire day. I am actually looking to move out of Arizona because the heat is just to much for my little body. Also, if you have any breathing problems it is not the place to be. I have asthma and the dryness and the dust created by the dryness really makes it a challenge to breath. There are just so many things to consider when moving to this type of environment. Good luck with everything and keep us posted!! I am sending you lots of positive thoughts and gentle hugs :-)

iseedeadmonkeys
07-23-2009, 02:11 AM
Hahaha

I just re read my post and it didnt make any sence what so ever...

i think sometimes i live on cloud nine and try to sound interlectual

im clearly not :)

cloud 9 has a perfect climate...lets go there

ISDM