PDA

View Full Version : How long do you sleep?

Spanglishqueen
07-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Hi everyone,

Well I've been doing pretty good for over a week and a half now regarding the fatigue. I felt the Provigil and eating were helping, so due to high energy levels I've been doing my Aqua exercises and Roller derby. Today it caught up with me. I got up at 5:10a.m. to go to work (lil late for me I usually get up around 4:45a) I knew I was sluggish. Took dogs outside came up the stairs felt like I was dragging a 10 ton elephant and I was dizzy going up the stairs, so I decide to call in from work and sleep it off. I slept 20 hours today:sleepy::sleepy: and I still feel fatigued although I am a lot better than I was. I figure I will be out by 7:30pm or 8pm and sleep until 4:30am so that's another 8-9 hours totaling 29 hours of sleep.

Is that a normal sleep mode when you guys get fatigued? I never really know if these are fatigue days or sick days because I also have a sore throat and headache. But I just go over a cold. I really just need for the fatigue to go away but presently the only meds I'm on are Provigil no autoimmune meds. I did 5mg prednisone 6 months ago and they took me off because I didn't think it worked and I was only on Plaquenil for 4.5 months when another Rheumy said I was fine and had no autoimmune issues. My new Rheumy wants to wait to see how the provigil goes before deciding on meds. Just not sure what the fatigue is due to since I always have flu-like symptoms with it and it gets lumped in with a cold.

MicRoMediC
07-16-2009, 05:51 PM
I have never had a good sleep pattern sleeping about 3-4 hours at a time. Tossing and turning is a nightly ritual. Some nights I actually get over 8 hours but still feel terrible. I feel so fatigued ALL the time irreguardless of how much I sleep. It doesn't help that I work 24 hour shifts and get sleep in bits when I'm here. I do run a low grade fever about once a week and it makes me feel even more fatigued. I started Plaquenil about four months ago and Mobic about a week and a half ago. The Plaquenil hasn't really taken effect but I feel a lot better with the Mobic. Some days I get up and don't even feel like getting out of bed to go to the bathroom, let alone function. Some days I get up and feel great and have a great day in the sun or running errands or whatever.

Monique89
07-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Well i went to bed at 10:30 last night as soon as i got home from calisthenics.
My alarm went off at 5:50am for work and i tried to get out of bed and get ready but i just felt like someone had thrown a ton of bricks on me...so i called in sick to work and i have just gotten up now, at 11:30am. Sooo that was about 13 hours sleep, and i feel exhausted, im about to go back to bed and watch some tv...i got up to make my meds LOL.
It depends though how much sleep i get, i often have work early in the morning and so i never usually get as much rest as i think my body needs...

debbie-b
07-17-2009, 02:59 PM
My fatigue does not show itself by me being tired, I just feel like I am wearing a lead coat, that is making my very slow, every move is an effort. I feel like I am stuck in first gear, I just can't move. Everything is heavy, my arms and legs, I just can not raise them. I am not sleepy, in fact, I have to take Ambien, every night, in order to get at the most 6 hours of sleep. Before Ambien, for six months in a row, I've got about 12 hours of sleep in a whole week, less than 2 hours a night. I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown, all I could do was cry. I dindn't want to take sleeping pills, but my doc talked me in to it, and I still love him for that. So what, I take a sleeping pill every night, but I didn't loose my mind, it's worth it. It would be nice, when I have real bad fatigue, that it would make me tired too and I could try to sleep it off.

Debbie

scubagramplit
07-18-2009, 06:57 PM
I have the same problem with not being able to sleep, even when severly fatigued I can't sleep, rheumy prescribed trazadone for sleeping, I get usually up to 6hrs sleep if I don't forget to take my prednisone to late. If I don't take the trazadone I don't sleep, arrrrgh.

DrinkofWtr
07-19-2009, 10:28 AM
I usually require at least 10 hours of sleep at night. If I don't get that amount of sleep I don't function well. You having a sore throat sounds like you got a virus which would require more sleep than usual for you.

Spanglishqueen
07-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Yes that's exactly the type of fatigue I feel Debbie. Everything heavy too move even my eyelids hurt :laugh: But why do I get a virus like every other week?...this sooo frustrates me. All the doctors say is its the AI your body is more susceptible to illness. It doesn't make sense because I'm not on steroids. When I was on steroids I was sick for 2 weeks straight that is why I had them take me off it. Oh well I do feel a little better now but still run down. That's ok I'm gonna do the aqua exercises tomorrow, at a slow pace, so as not to wear myself further down.

Danica01
07-19-2009, 12:13 PM
I hate that feeling! It is just miserable. I live in a tri-level condo and there are days I don't even want to walk down to the kitchen. It feels like lifting my leg to walk will just take to much out of me. I wasn't getting enough sleep and the doctor talked me into sleeping meds and I have never been so thankful! I actually sleep through the night and feel better because of this. I hope you are able to get more sleep as soon as possible. I will be thinking of you and sending you thoughts of a good nights sleep and a restful morning! Hang in there :hug:

ashleybaby715
07-20-2009, 01:32 PM
my fatigued days were CRAZY! i would wake up for school at like 5:45am, stay up long enough just to get ready for school (wearing sweats and t shirts because i really didnt even care how i looked) then i would sleep on the ride to school, stay up just enough to do my classwork as fast as i could, then i would sleep thru each period.
be up to get on the bus, fall asleep til i got home. then i would lay down as soon as i got home, wake up for dinner then call it a night and go to bed.

thats SO much sleep.
pretty much like...sleeping all day.
i did that every day for like a month straight.
that goodness i dont do that anymore, cuz i basically missed a whole month of my life!

lucky7
07-20-2009, 01:56 PM
I sleep so well when i take my Flexeril (10mg lately, used to be 5) and my 3mg of melatonin. I HAVE to get in 8 hrs or im a mess the next day though. I get teh deepest sleep, without these pills, forget it, im up nad down ALL night.:wideeyed:

crmj1183
07-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Spanglishqueen,

Ive had times like that, and its just the lupus. Sometimes you just get like that and on those days I call in too, its important that you are listening to your body. I also get the sore throat and headache that accompanies the fatigue. I usually take my meds and sleep it off its the only way you'll feel better. Im sorry you had such a rough day hon, but tomorrow will be better and you'll be back to roller derby skating in no time, its good you're staying active. Take care and Im sure tomorrow will be a much more productive day for you.

Chriss