PDA

View Full Version : what is ANA ??

leaann
07-13-2009, 07:32 AM
As I am reading the post I hear alot of you talking about ANA was wondering what it was???

Reason I had a blood test done recently and for the life of me I can not remember what it was called? I have seem that I need to start writing these test down when they are done so I can tell my other doctors about it, as when I went to the ortho dr. I couldn't tell him what the name of the test was. I could just explain what it was for. I can say it was a test that determined that I needed to go to the rue. dr. and I remember the dr saying it was high. The ortho dr said it could have only be one of 2 test but didn't clairfy on either.

just wondering about it...

Pearl
07-13-2009, 11:25 AM
The ANA (anti-nuclear antibody test) is one of the basic blood tests performed to look for indicators of autoimmune disease. While the majority of lupus patients do test positive, this positive result is not, by itself, indicative of lupus. In fact, perfectly healthy people can also test positive. There are even cases of seronegative lupus, in which a patient has a negative ANA, but still meets the criteria for the diagnosis of lupus.

You can read all about the test and what it means at the following link:

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ana/glance.html

Hope this helps.

dsunshine
07-13-2009, 12:42 PM
WOW...thanks for the clarification. I wondered the same but felt a little silly asking on this site instead of my Dr. SLE/ANA yeah all those terms can sound a little overwhelming! Thanks for the question and information!

leaann
07-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks that seems to clear it up for me. I read the link and got some great information now I know to ask the doctor if that was what she was doing. the dr said the test was positive but also said that the level was very high.

This way I don't look like a dummy when I go to the rue dr.

great information