PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarianism & Lupus?

klucey
07-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Hello Hello,
So I have really been looking for homeopathic actions to help with my Lupus and one that keeps coming up is becoming vegetarian. I have seen multiple publication that say having a vegetarian diet can work wonders. So, I am now an 8 day old vegetarian! I have not felt the effects yet, I don't think I have anyway, but I am excited to see what may come of it. I was wondering if any of you had seen the same kinds of information and become vegetarian, or done some other homeopathic/lifestyle change that has made a difference for you.

ritzbit
07-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I havent but I have considered being a vegetarian many times before even before I knew about lupus. Let me know if you start feeling better from the new diet =) I hope it does work wonders for you

rob
07-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Well, as a rule, I personally don't put much stock in homeopathic remedies. There is just too much unreliable info and no real proof to satisfy my personal need for hard evidence of effectiveness and safety. Lifestyle changes, on the other hand, are a proven way of avoiding many problems, and helping with many health related issues. An obvious lifestyle change for most people with Lupus (and one I practice religiously) is avoiding sun exposure as much as possible.

I have read that some people with Lupus felt better after going vegitarian, and some felt no change at all. I think the jury is still out, but I don't think going vegetarian is without merit, and I don't think there would be any harm in trying it out to see if it helps. I'm not a vegetarian, but I do keep my consumption of red meat to a minimum simply because it gives me stomach/digestion problems. I stick to chicken and fish mostly. I would be curious to know how this works out for you after a few months have passed.

Rob

crmj1183
07-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Yeah, let me know how it works out for you. Ive considered being a vegetarian. Id definitely like to speak to someone who has lupus and is strictly vegetarian.
Goodluck Honey!!!:yes::yes::yes:

Chriss

Spanglishqueen
07-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Hiya Klucey,

I did not do the vegetarian thing but I did change my eating to a very clean eating style and I have really seen the benefits in just a week. I have a little more energy, I am not as stiff, and my stomach doesn't give me problems as much. And I already lost 5 lbs. :yes: It's nice to feel so clean also I can just feel the difference in my body. If you look at the thread I posted a week ago Lupus Diet. You'll see my grocery list. Hope whatever eating style you choose works for you.

Monique89
07-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Hey there
Im not a vegetarian, but i rarely eat red meat, simply because i just dont like it LOL.
Last week i cut a lot of stuff out of my diet, mostly i am just eating whole grains, fresh produce and low fat, low kilojoule foods. Lots of steamed chicken/fish & veggies, and mostly multigrain & soy & linseed breads if i have bread... I really have noticed a big difference in how i feel, and i have also lost 1.4kg in 4 days!

SandyR
07-13-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm not a vegetarian either, but there are days (like today) were I just prefer to be meat free. I have a lot of dietary restrictions and have found that adding more vegetables and fruits helps me to feel better. I am working my way towards an 80/20 raw diet because I also think a healthier diet will help me to feel better. Keep us posted on how this works for you.
Sandy

brandichi
07-13-2009, 08:41 PM
One of the things I was told to do shortly after I was diagnosed with lupus is to really pay attention to my body and figure out which foods were best for me. I kept a food diary for three weeks, and noted how I felt in terms of pain, energy level, and other physical symptoms after everything I ate. Then I looked for patterns. What I found out is that actually I feel better with red meat (although I have a tendency to be anemic), eggs, and fish. Chicken and turkey don't do much for me, neither does pork. I am on a gluten-free diet and I don't eat processed foods except for the occasional gluten-free treat. My basic diet is 2 eggs and V8 juice along with a glass of milk for breakfast; 3.5oz protein, 10oz vegs and a serving of fruit for lunch; and 4oz protein, 10oz vegs and a serving of fruit for dinner. Also brown rice, potato, or gluten free bread if I feel like it. I have MUCH more energy than I used to, and the pain is almost gone on most days.

Everyone's body is different, though, and if your body reacts positively to a vegetarian diet, go for it. I would really stress, though, to do what I did and keep a detailed diary to find what food gives your body what it needs and go from there.

Danica01
07-13-2009, 10:59 PM
It never hurts to try! Just remember to focus on foods that give you a lot of protein because you won't be getting this from meat anymore. Here is a website that tells you the amount of protein you will find in items:

http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/protein-food.php

Good luck and keep us posted on how this change makes you feel. I am very excited for you :dance: