PDA

View Full Version : a question for the veterans...

widebody
07-12-2009, 05:08 PM
So, three weeks since dx, and symptoms keep appearing. Today's symptom du jour: mouth sores. Kind of a long streak on the inside of my cheek. Feels like the classic canker sore, but it's not the usual round, ulcer-like thing.

So my question is this: anything that I can do to help heal/reduce the pain from this? Can I use Anbesol, Gly-Oxide or something along those lines? Whenever i eat anything kinda hard (even toast) or acidic, it hurts like heck.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rastagirl
07-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Hello Widebody...Brian (I think I read your name in a thread somewhere)....

I haven't had a chance to welcome you to the site :wavey: and introduce myself....I'm Lori....and unfortunately, a veteran (27 years with Lupus).

Mouth sores have been discussed quite a bit on this site at various times, so I did a Search and came up with an old thread that has several suggestions....some really good ones from Oluwa with a link to a site to read more.....

Here's the thread....

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthread.php?t=6123&highlight=mouth+sores

You can do a Search on here yourself, if you want to look back in the archives for other ideas. This was just a recent one.

Hope this helps. Really sorry you're suffering with the painful sores....absolutely no fun, especially when you have to eat. Hope you can find some relief soon.

I'm glad you found us and decided to join.

Take care,

:cool2: Lori

widebody
07-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Lori, thanks for the thread - lots of good ideas there. I did do a search, but I don't think I did the search terms right, so I got way too many responses that just mentioned 'mouth' or 'sore' -- those words come up a lot here! :)

Appreciate the tips, will try some now.

Rastagirl
07-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Your welcome....my pleasure. :veryhappy:

I think I searched 'Mouthsores'....all one word....that's probably how it got narrowed. I'll bet someone within that thread typed mouthsores, all one word.

My "Search" skills aren't the best, the other day I did a search on google for small dog bone....trying to find a pic of a tiny dog bone....what I got was a very small dog....with a giant bone in his mouth.

:) Not exactly what I was looking for, but it made me giggle.

:grin69: Lori

crmj1183
07-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey Widebody.

I was gonna say you kinda have to just deal with it but after reading what Lori said I think Im gonna check out that link also. Im actually dealing with the whole mouth sore thing right now. Ugh! I hate it. I usually suffer through it, Ive had lupus for almost 9 years, so Im a baby vet, O dont know everything lupus is very complicated and Im still learning more and more as I grow.

Widebody we're all in this together
Chriss

Danica01
07-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Hi guys and welcome widebody!!!!!! I battle with mouth sores all the time due to the methotrexate. There is a prescription mouth was you can get. It is called Miracle Mouth Wash. It is prescribed for patients going through chemotherapy......hence the mouth sores from methotrexate :grumpy: Your rheumy should know exactly what it is and could probably call it in for you. You can rinse throughout the day and it numbs your mouth. It is great to use before brushing your teethe! Until you get the prescription you can buy Biotene mouth wash and tooth paste. This will also help clear them up and actually will help prevent them in the future. Both my rheumy and my dentist suggested this. I know how painful these are and it i just miserable.You can not eat, brush your teethe and it can even be hard to talk. Good luck and try the two mouth washes, I think it will really help! Keep me posted .......

http://www.biotene.com/index.aspx

widebody
07-13-2009, 05:59 AM
You all are great -- thanks so much for the advice, and as always for the support. I'm really struggling lately with the 'diagnosis depression' (or whatever you call it), having a very hard time dealing with having to give up so much of what I used to take for granted. Your encouragement and support is really helpful.

mountaindreamer
07-13-2009, 06:02 AM
hi widebody,

the miracle mouth wash works really well. Also, my rheumy has me taking 25 mg of folic acid each day....this is to help reduce mouth sores, and i can verify that since starting this med, my sores have significantly been reduced. You might want to ask your dr. to try this.