PDA

View Full Version : ER's and embarrassment

justomegirlindallas
07-12-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm sitting here in discomfort thinking about going back to the Emergency room because I need some saline. I've been drinking a lot of water for my kidney infection but I've maxed out the amount of Azo Standard, tylenol and I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be a good idea to take anymore darvocet. My body just feels really toxic and it seems like saline is the only thing that helps me feel better. I went in Friday for to get treatment started for the kidney infection and a saline drip but I'm embarrassed about it.

"Hi! yes I'm here because I have a kidney infection and I need Saline - it is better than overdosing on pain killers, it feels better and probably healthier too. The water filling up bladder and backing up into my inflamed kidney makes me feel sicker. Its also embarrassing to tell my husband - Hey, I need to go to the ER to get a bag of saline through my body so I can feel better.

What I don't understand is why I feel embarrassed about this? Do you guys feel this way when you need to go to the ER or something? Its not like I can get a saline drip at my doctors office. I am very patient with the staff when I go to the ER because I don't expect to be the first patient serviced when I just go for a Saline drip when I can't take anymore water, azo or pain killers but I still feel like a waste of ER resources... I am afraid of being admitted to the hospital though if I don't listen to my body.

MLockwood
07-12-2009, 05:57 PM
I am not doctor, but if you feel sick and you know what will make you feel better, I say do what you think feels right. That is why ER's are there, is to help people feel better. Don't be embarrased, just take care of yourself.

SandyR
07-12-2009, 06:29 PM
I say embarassed or not, go and get yourself that bag of saline so you can feel a little better. good luck!

rob
07-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Anna,

I wouldn't be embarassed if I were in your shoes. You know yourself well enough to know what will help you, and you are very careful about the meds you take, and the dosage. These are good things that I would think would impress a few of the people working at the ER. You're a logical, and responsible person and patient, nothing to be embarassed about at all.

Rob

crmj1183
07-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Anna,

Never be embarassed, if you arent feeling well and there is a safer more comfortable way for you to feel better I say go for it. Its all about you, and you're right you must listen to your body. Goodluck honey, and remember a kidney infection isnt anything to be embarassed about, just think of what some other people are going to the er with..... I'll just let your mind wonder:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Chriss

Danica01
07-13-2009, 12:11 AM
You should never be embarrassed when it comes to things you know your body needs. You have a disease and there are things you have found that work better for you and you should have access to this. Listen to your body and get some saline running through your veins!!!!!!! Keep us posted on how you are feeling and if you made it in to the ER!!!!!! Good luck :yes:

justomegirlindallas
07-13-2009, 06:14 AM
Anna,

I wouldn't be embarassed if I were in your shoes. You know yourself well enough to know what will help you, and you are very careful about the meds you take, and the dosage. These are good things that I would think would impress a few of the people working at the ER. You're a logical, and responsible person and patient, nothing to be embarassed about at all.

Rob

I appreciate your confidence, Rob, and usually yes I am very careful about the meds I take. I was very carless about it yesterday and I've already taken 3 darvocet this morning. I didn't make it to the er last night but I'm waiting for a call back from my urologist about a 24 hour IV saline /antibiotic infusion especially since I'm on the steriods which I don't think is helping my infection clear up

mountaindreamer
07-13-2009, 06:25 AM
hi anna,

we deal with so much every day, and you should never be embarrassed when things get out of your control....i second every thing that rob said, and you should walk in that er with no hesitation....you need help and that is what they are there for.

good luck, hope your dr. can help you today.

leaann
07-13-2009, 06:57 AM
I agree embarrassed or not if you know what makes it better by all means do it. I have been to the emergancy room embarrassed several times but dealt with it.

They understand more than you think, and I am sure they have had worse come in there.

Make your self feel better first then be embarrassed last.

hope it gets better.

I just spent all of Feb with kidney infection,UTI, ear Infection and yeast infection. It can be hard...

Take care