PDA

View Full Version : fibromyalgia?

ritzbit
07-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Can anyone tell me more about what fibromyalgia actually is? I know I've read some people talking it before so I was hoping some one could help me out. My mother is always worried when I complain about anything anymore and I was told at my last doctor appointment that they were worried that I may be showing signs of having that too. And I guess my moms been reading up on it and keeps saying I have a bunch of the symptoms. I dont think the things Im complaining about are that big of a deal. Help?

Angel Oliver
07-12-2009, 09:13 AM
http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/what-is-fm.html

Maybe look at this. I have recently been diagnosed with it,yet it says it does'nt effect my joints,yet all my joints are swollen n hurting as well.Im learning about it all too so will also give it a read.

Hope this helps and hope today is a good day for you.

love Amanda.xxxxxxx

WantItGone
07-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi!

I have it. My symptoms are basically muscle aches & burning. Thankfully, I haven't bothered at all by it lately. But, when I was, mostly my abdomen, lower back, and neck would just hurt! & burn. It's horrible. The meds prescribed (initially flexerill & then neurontin) didn't help either. Well, not fully. But, like I said, it hasn't bothered me in a while. Thank God!!

ritzbit
07-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Thank you for that link.

Im hoping today gets better =/

My step dad is being a huge jerk and making me cry and he's yelling about nothing and my head hurts so bad and I asked him to stop and he just keeps going. ugh

ritzbit
07-12-2009, 09:24 AM
I have alot of stomach problems and my doctor thinks there's something going on with my muscles. My arms are weak

justomegirlindallas
07-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Heres a good link

http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/default.htm

Sorry to hear you may have fibro- I do not have any personal experience with Fibromyalgia but there are many people here who do. I hope that you feel better soon

Angel Oliver
07-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Oh im sorry to hear that Riz,i so hope he calms down so you can have some peace.Dont cry, we are here.I know my Mam makes me cry allot lately,but i just log in and chat on here,then when i come off all is calm again. You just read the page i put up for you and try n ignore his mood...it'll pass.

love Amanda.xxxxxx

justomegirlindallas
07-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Thank you for that link.

Im hoping today gets better =/

My step dad is being a huge jerk and making me cry and he's yelling about nothing and my head hurts so bad and I asked him to stop and he just keeps going. ugh

Well, that kind of behavior would make anyones body hurt - Whats up with the yelling? Is your Mom where you can talk to her about that? Is there somewhere you can go until you feel safer?

ritzbit
07-12-2009, 09:51 AM
im just ignoring him now. i'll talk with my mom about it later. he does this alot. he's ridiculous

Danica01
07-13-2009, 12:20 AM
I am so sorry you are feeling sick and you step-dad is treating you poorly. Justomegirlindallas is right, that behavior would make anybody feel sick. I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia along with my Lupus. It causes muscle pain,joint pain and at times my skin just hurts. I am on Lyrica for the fibro and it really helps me. It does something to the nerve endings and allows me to receive pain less and in a different way. It does make me sleepy so I take it a night and it allows me to sleep pretty comfy. It is normal for patients that have been diagnosed with Lupus to have secondary autoimmune issues like the fibro. I just hope you can see your doctor soon so that you can start a treatment plan and finally have a bit relief. Keep us posted and keep ignoring the people who are not supportive in your. Remember we are a family that loves and supports you every day :grouphug:

mountaindreamer
07-13-2009, 06:19 AM
hi ritzbit,

i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 13 years before getting the lupus diagnosis. There are several (can't remember the number) of specific pressure points that will flare up and really hurt and burn. I describe my fms pain as feeling like someone is holding a lit cigarrette to my body. I have a lot of trouble with the pressure points that run up the back of my neck and along my shoulders. Also, i get a lot of pain in the area of my joints, but is it not my joints. I can tell that it is in the connective tissue/muscle around the joint. This causes swelling.

the webmd site that was recommended is a very good source. And your dr. can easily conduct the pressure point exam that will verify the diagnosis.

I have tried several different meds with absolutely no success. I just deal with fms, and take my pain meds when the burning pain is unbearable.

ritzbit
07-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Thanks for both of the links I found them very helpful.

I have to go back to my doctor on Thursday this week and will be getting back my blood results and all that from 2 weeks ago. Im sure she'll be talking to me more about what she thinks about me and possibly having fibromyalgia then.

Danica01
07-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Phyllis, don't you just hate it when you go in and they check those pressure points???? Talk about feeling some pain!!!!!! Sometimes I think this causes me more grief than my Lupus!

mountaindreamer
07-14-2009, 05:53 AM
i danica,

i can't tell you how many drs. i almost hit when they "check my pressure points." For real, just believe me, it hurts.

I think i will start forwarning new drs., that my uncontrolled relexes to their pushing and prodding might result in them feeling some pain as well. ha ha ha

crmj1183
07-14-2009, 06:00 AM
My sis-in-law has fibro and she says its the worst I kinda feel bad for her because all the meds they prescribe dont make her feel any better. Rizbit I hope you dont have Fibro and you said you dont reALLY think you have so you probably dont. Think positively.

Chriss

ritzbit
07-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Guess I'll have to wait a few days and see what my doctor has to say. To be honest Im alot more worried about how my blood work is going to come back.

Saysusie
07-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Hey Rizbit;
Make sure to let us know what the results of your blood work are. I, also, suffer from Fibromyalgia along with my Lupus. Honestly, lately my FM has been causing me more problems than my Lupus. Extreme muscle pain, a burning sensation that feels like someone is running a blow torch up and down my limbs just under the skin. I also have the by products of FM (IBS, TMJ, Sleep Disturbances, Headaches, Extreme Fatigue).
I've had to completely change my diet due to the IBS & TMJ..I take medication to help me sleep, and I have three levels of meds for the migraines!
It is quite common for those with Lupus to develop FM and/or for those with FM to develop Lupus. It is so common, that it seems as if they may as well be co-joined when being diagnosed.
Like others have stated, the most excrutiating thing is to have to go through the "pressure point" ordeal with your doctor. I almost jumped off of the table due to the pain!
So, for all the reasons above, I truly hope that you do not have Fibromyalgia. But, if you do, you are amongst many others who truly understand and who can offer you support and advice.
I wish you the very best, and please try not to allow you step father to cause you too much stress. His irrational anger is more a statement about his failings than it is about the person he is directing his anger against. So, when he goes off on you, just repeat to yourself, "This man is the one with the problem and not me, so I am tuning him out!"

Take Care and know that we are here for you.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie