PDA

View Full Version : I have a ???

leaann
07-12-2009, 06:37 AM
hello,

I have been doing alot of thinking about lupus and the sun, since I am still not dignosed at this point I want to make sure that when I go to the ruemy. I have all my problems laid out for him and know what ??? to ask.

I have never thought much about the sun untill the last coulple of years. I have always been in the sun with out much problem other than a few sun burns, but in the last few years I have noticed that when I go in the sun my eyes will water real bad and thats hard since I normaly have dry eyes.Also when I am in the sun and this is even for a short period of time it makes me go to the bathroom and have a sick feeling...

I don't get any times of skin problems other than lately I have the red blotches on me that seem to go away in a few hours. should this be something that I should take more seriously? and should I talk about this to my doctor when I go to him ?

Generally here lately I spend most of the time in the house and don't go out but maybe once a week sometimes 2 times but generally no more than that latley.

Yesterday I had to go out and it was awfull...started out about 6 am when the sun go up about 8 am it hit me and I had to find a bathroom by 10 I was so tired. I had to make several stops to just rest so I could finish what I was doing. Now I know the driving took alot out of me as it is very difficult for me to drive anymore due to swelling and pain in my joints but was just wondering about the sun...

Anything would be helpfull
:unsure:

widebody
07-12-2009, 07:00 AM
I've started having a lot of the same problems -- thursday i was outside maybe 5 or 10 minutes in short sleeves, no sunscreen. By the time I got home at 530, I had to take a nap.

Best thing I can advise is to keep track of this for your doctor's appt-- the more specifics, the better. Take pictures of the rash if you can, and take them to the appointment.

And most of all, use a good sunscreen (I love the spray Neutrogena sport - it goes on fast, it's almost odorless, not greasy. It's 55 SPF I think). I also wear a big ol' hat everwhere - I feel like the man in the yellow suit from Curious George, but what the heck. Maybe somewhere there are women attracted to that look! :)

crmj1183
07-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Lea, Im not sure if those symptoms you are experienceing are due to lupus or if it is even lupus for that matter. Ive never had those symptoms you are having, its posssible that it is something else. Ive had lupus for almost 9 years Im no expert, I would defifnitely mention it to my doctor. It could be something very minor. Im sorry that you're going this and you are in so much discomfort. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you get answers soon as well as feel better.

Stay strong
Chriss

mountaindreamer
07-12-2009, 11:46 AM
hi lea,

the sun has never affected me the way you describe....my reaction to sun is always a rash, fatigue, joint pain, etc., but never stomach issues.

however, we all know that lupus affects people very differently, so i am certainly not implying that your symptoms are not lupus.

it will be interesting to see others' responses.

leaann
07-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks everyone,

this has been going on for some time and now it seems to get worse or maybe I am paying attention to it more... can't wait to see what others seem to think... will be talking to my doctor about this issue..

HUGE headache today :5: and tired of being hot going to lay day for awhile

have a good day everyone

Saysusie
07-12-2009, 01:32 PM
I have extreme difficulty from the sun when driving. It seems as though the UV rays are intensified by the car's windshields. Finally, I had to get my windows tinted on both of our cars. This has made a significant difference in my ability to get more done when in my car!
I don't know if this is a viable option for you, but it has made a difference for me.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Pearl
07-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Lupus affects my gastrointestinal system. It responds to too much sun just like yours does. My doctor is fantastic, but she admits this is unfamiliar territory for her. I have been to gastroenterologists more times than I can count. They can't find anything other than Barrett's esophagus, so they have finally decided this is just an unnamed symptom of my lupus. I could have told them that.

Anyway, this does not seem to be very common, but I did want you to know it affects me the same way.

Best of luck at your doctor's appointment.

Jana

MLockwood
07-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Hi Leaann,
I just came in from a walk and I have the same problems when I am in the sun. I suddenly feel sick and right now I can feel my hands and fingers getting stiff and sore. I am bit fatigued as well. I have only been on this web site for about 24 hours, and I am newly diagnosed with Lupus, and I have learned so much from this website. Especially logging everything from what I eat, to how I feel after I eat it, and how I feel throughout the day. We all have our own symptoms, but I have found that we all share at least some of our symptoms. I certainly find comfort in knowning that I am not alone. I hope you do as well.

Danica01
07-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Normally I just get fever and body aches. It will feel as if I have been hit by a truck! If it gets really bad it will throw me into a flare and that is when my stomach will act up. Defiantly let your doctor know what is going on. It is very important to document everything your body is going through in regards to this disease. When you go into the sun you should wear the strongest sunscreen possible and cover up your body as much as possible....even when you are just driving. Good luck let us know what the good old doc has to say!!!!!

leaann
07-13-2009, 06:15 AM
Thanks everyone,

I think the information I have received has helped, will add this issue to my log and talk to my doctor about it.

Thanks again

Terry73
07-14-2009, 06:28 PM
HI Leanne,

I have a "probable" diagnosis of lupus (after alot of years of being sick off and on and the past 2 years being extremely sick). I also have gastrointestinal symptoms too....they thought i had crohn's disease and then changed their minds. I do have ulceration in the small intestine but it isn't bad enough to cause all the other problems. I also get very ill being in the sun. I also get the rash too. Since being on this site i did a test. we were at a birthday party that was outdoors so i slathered on spf 60 sunscreen (which i hate that greasy feeling so if anyone has sugg of a good one) and i tried to stay in the shade and i was ok and we were outside all afternoon. I went out with the hubby just doing some running around etc with no sunscreen and my face broke out, i got sick and i could hardly walk by the time we got home. So the sunscreen really does help......

Just thought i'd let ya know your not alone with the upset tummy

Terry

leaann
07-17-2009, 06:45 AM
thanks,

I have been testing the sun to see the difference, and that's when I went to walmart and bought the sunscreen to see how that changes things. So I am going to put it onn go in the sun and see if that makes a difference. I bought spf 50 and spf 80 going to try them both but I figured I try them on different days to see which would work better.

Thanks again everyone

Danica01
07-19-2009, 08:06 AM
HI Leanne,

I have a "probable" diagnosis of lupus (after alot of years of being sick off and on and the past 2 years being extremely sick). I also have gastrointestinal symptoms too....they thought i had crohn's disease and then changed their minds. I do have ulceration in the small intestine but it isn't bad enough to cause all the other problems. I also get very ill being in the sun. I also get the rash too. Since being on this site i did a test. we were at a birthday party that was outdoors so i slathered on spf 60 sunscreen (which i hate that greasy feeling so if anyone has sugg of a good one) and i tried to stay in the shade and i was ok and we were outside all afternoon. I went out with the hubby just doing some running around etc with no sunscreen and my face broke out, i got sick and i could hardly walk by the time we got home. So the sunscreen really does help......

Just thought i'd let ya know your not alone with the upset tummy

Terry

Terry,

Neutrogena makes a cooling sunscreen that is clear and is not a cream! It feels so good going on a dries very quickly with out a greasy residue feeling. Check it out!!!! It come is high a spf so we are all covered. Let me know what you think :veryhappy: