PDA

View Full Version : Evoxac?

brandichi
07-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Are any of you on Evoxac? My rheumy just prescribed it for me to try to help with the Sjogren's, but like anything new, I'm nervous about it. I know it can cause hot flashes, which, considering that I'm always cold, even in summer, wouldn't be all that bad, lol. And I do have controlled asthma, which is a risk with Evoxac, so I'm waiting to take the first dose until a time when I'm not doing anything, just sitting home. Today would have been perfect, but I was a big chicken and wouldn't open the bottle. So if you are on Evoxac, have you had any side effects from it? And how do I quit being so nervous about new medications?!?

crmj1183
07-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Cheryl,

What is evoxac? what is it suppose to remedy? Ive never heard of it.

Danica01
07-11-2009, 05:29 PM
I have never heard of that drug before. I know that if someone is on it, it is just a matter of time before they pop and let you know their body handled it. As for the being afraid of trying new meds........well, that is something you will just have to work on. I feel the same way with you and I understand it is very scary. Whenever I try new meds I always try them in the morning because I am more alert throughout the day and can feel when something is not right as apposed to night when I am trying to sleep. Another thing that I have done that has helped ease my worry is that I tell Tim exactly what I am taking and when I take it. I will write down the time and dose and will even write my normal meds just in case I have a reaction. I had to try some new meds about a week ago and had a horrible reaction but it was easier to deal with knowing someone other than myself was aware of everything. I think it will just take time for us to get used to different changes. I don't think it is a bad thing that we worry because it allows us to be more aware of our bodies and what the meds do to them than someone who just takes anything given to them without thinking twice. I guess we just have to have faith that our doctors are doing what is best for us. The good thing is that we have everyone on here and at least one person has taken something that you are taking. Thank goodness for everyone here :grouphug:

Angel Oliver
07-12-2009, 05:18 AM
Ive never heard of it,but Doctors do know what they're doing most of the time.Foor example,im on a pill which if you have asthma you should not take.Im a little breathless,but has no attacks....good times.....so i take em still.Maybe try them if the doctor has prescribed them.You will know straight away or very soon if they are not for you.Hopefully yu will be fine on them and they'll help your eyes so much too.
I have found a apage on google about this drug.

love Amanda.x

http://www.drugs.com/pro/evoxac.html

mountaindreamer
07-12-2009, 01:23 PM
hi brandichi,

i have not ever heard of evoxac. I understand your fear about trying a new med. you have the option of discussing your concerns with your pharmacist....this is what i do whenever i have questions. I have had drs. prescribe meds that my pharmacist realized was dangerous to take with my other meds. He alerted me, I called the dr., and he withdrew his prescription....so, remember, you are your best advocate....you do what feels right in your gut, and what your mind tells you.

brandichi
07-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks everyone. Angel, that was a great link, thanks for posting it. Yes, it's a medication to help with the dryness that comes with Sjogren's and I think the risk is worth it, because my mouth is always so dry that if I don't have water with me to sip every couple minutes I literally can't talk. I have been poking around online, and from what I've read, most people tolerate it very well and it really helps with the mouth dryness. So I'll start taking it tomorrow afternoon. It can cause dizziness and difficulty in driving, so I'll wait until after my appt with the thyroid dr tomorrow.

That's a really great idea to let someone know I'm taking a new medicine! I'll tell my parents, who live just around the block from me and will be home all day tomorrow.

I am getting better at trusting myself and speaking up for what I want. Last December, my old rheumy wanted to start me on methotrexate, but I said no. I was still able to work full time and managing my life. Not easily, but managing. I felt strongly that I didn't want to go on mtx until I felt I really needed it, and as it turned out, that was the right decision for me.

Danica01
07-13-2009, 09:07 PM
See.......you know your body very well and it sounds like you make the right decisions based on what you needed at that particular time. That right there is half the battle. We will all keep working on having faith in everything and we will continue to be there for each other when it comes to things like this :hug:

brandichi
07-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks, Danica. What I really love about this board is how supportive and friendly everyone is. There truly is no other lupus board like it anywhere, and I'm so glad to be here with all of you. :cute: