PDA

View Full Version : normal evoked potentials & Lupus neuropathy

catownsley
07-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Do normal evoked potentials rule out Lupus neuropathy?

catownsley
07-09-2009, 09:26 PM
I should have been more specific in my question. Do negative evoked potential tests rule out Lupus induced peripheral neuropathy? If so, is there anything else that would cause the burning, numbness, tingling, and pain in extremities.

Please help!

Rastagirl
07-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Hi Catownsley...

I noticed you haven't had any responses...but I'm pretty sure a few of our members have discussed this before. I know I've heard them talk about evoked potentials tests.

I sent a PM private message to a few of them and hopefully they'll be along soon to offer some help.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you....

You might also try doing a Search on the topic, if you haven't already.

:cool2: Lori

rob
07-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi Catownsley,

I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus five years ago, and Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis just over one year ago. I have had multiple evoked potentials tests done. The overall opinion of the medical community is that evoked potentials tests can detect central nervous system related problems in Lupus patients, as well as those with MS. I've never heard of the results in the terms of negative/positive. My neuro refers to the results as normal or abnormal.

As far as whether or not a normal evoked potential test can rule out Lupus related peripheral neuropathy is an answer I don't have. There has been some research in the area, but there is no solid yes or no answer.

Rob

Oluwa
07-10-2009, 05:29 AM
Catownsley..

As Rob said, from my research there is no solid answer to your question. I found nothing that rules it in or out. But it one deduces the statements in the studies your answer would be no as the key words used most often were.. there are no consistent clinical criteria or test for diagnosing them...

Other diseases, that maybe a result of Lupus or alone that could cause peripheral neuorpathy are carpel tunnel syndrome, meralgia paresthetica, vitamin or nutritional deficiencies, Systemic diseases illnesses like diabetes, infections and autoimmune disorders, syphilis, AIDS, and kidney failure.....

Have you read this article as it goes in depth about causes of Peripheral neuropathy, inheritate or acquired. Follow the yellow brick road..

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/peripheralneuropathy/detail_peripheralneuropathy.htm

Hope this helps..
Love,
Oluwa