PDA

View Full Version : weight gain or loss?

debbie-b
07-08-2009, 06:37 AM
I am trying to post a poll, but don't know if I can figure out how. Anyway I have read the symptoms of lupus and it says weight gain/loss. I would like to know who gained weight with or without meds and who lost weight.
I gained 30 some pounds without prednison.

Debbie

Angel Oliver
07-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Well i giggled as i read this as im sat here now with a ...cornbeef n tomatoe sandwich,a pack of custard cream biscuits and a packet of crisps :).
I used to be called 'stick insect' as i was always so slim,ate anything never put an once on. Then the meds came....the food craving came....the weight came!! Even when i sleep im dreaming of food. I was 8 n arf stone....then 9 n arf stone for along time....now a HUGE 10 n arf stone n gaining as i write eating these biscuits :).xxxxxxxxxx

red246
07-08-2009, 07:01 AM
I had weight gain even b4 I started taking medications. Since I've started the prednisone I've gone up some, but not too bad. It's mainly just swelling I guess.
I used to be a stick also! Then when I started getting sick I started putting on the weight! Hubby & I will be married for 8 yrs this month. When we got married I weighed ~ 110 lbs, now I weigh 177! :hissyfit:

debbie-b
07-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Same with me, I have gained weight even before I was diagnosed, due to my joint pain, I just couldn't move like I did before and still can't.

Debbie

gina
07-08-2009, 08:52 AM
I gain, than had problems with bowels and lost and after flare went away gain it back. GI dr. said it was the lupus for weight gain and loss.

i hope this helps an i don't take any meds now, but have to start now since kidneys are affected.

Monique89
07-08-2009, 07:46 PM
I actually lost weight before i was diagnosed. Then i started prednisolone and BANG there came like 6kg in about 4 or 5 weeks. Ughhhh.
But i have managed to stay the same weight for a few weeks now, even on the meds. Next step is trying to lose the weight from the stupid steroids (plus the extra i want to as well LOL)

lucky7
07-09-2009, 04:00 PM
I actually lost weight in the beginning of my illness, now i have put on some,my jeans are a bit snug than they were before.:wacko: Its possibly from me not being as active now that im resting MORE than i EVER have in my entire life. I also get swelling so i think its a mix of things.

Stacy
07-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I gained 50lbs in the past year and a half before being rediagnosed. Now that I've been on the meds, my weight has finally started stabilizing. Hopefully once I'm able to start moving around more I'll be able to work some of that weight off.

scubagramplit
07-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Angel, you crack me up. I don't know what you mean though by "arf stone" , cracks me up just the same.
I have only put on about ten pounds but it must all be in my belly, I swear I look like I am about 5-6 months pregnant, wouldn't that be a sight to see haha :)

mortifiedat52
07-13-2009, 01:22 PM
i lost weight.. both before prednisone and after.. lost 7 or 8 pounds before I finally stablized at about 120lb (i'm 5ft 7in and a tad on the skinny side now.. this would have been a dream for me at age 20, but at age 52, not so much!!) some of the weight loss was due to changing my diet to eat more healthy.. cut out sugar and starches and other inflammatory foods... and some was due to lack of appetite and the energy to just get up and eat something..

leaann
07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
I am not dignosed at this point but still feel the need to post.
I can say both ways for me. At my highest weight as an adult was 450 and my lowest weight was about 130 that was last year I am back up to around 165 or so and now I am going back down again.

I don't think mine is from meds, even though I take a truck load at times. I feel mine is from something else. I just wish it would get to one place and stay there. The fat monster drives me nuts. :rolling-crazy:

I got clothes in my closet from size 7 to size 22 sounds crazy. about 3 years ago I lost about 30 lbs in one month and had to stay in the hospital. Mine is just mind blowing at times.

MLockwood
07-13-2009, 01:48 PM
I have heard of the Lupus weight gain and weight loss. As if we as women weren't on a weight rollercoaster anyway! :wacko: I have lost some with the meds, prednisone, and the pneumonia that I am experiencing, but I do feel really bloated?! I can relate to feeling pregnant. I hopped on the scale this morning expecting the worse and i was actuallly down in weight, I just had this bloated belly. :wideeyed:

dsunshine
07-13-2009, 03:14 PM
I have lost 40+ lbs from Nov. 2008 (First diagnosed) to Beg. of Feb. 2009. Steriods I think made me loose...that and DRASTIC Change in my diet and what I eat and don't eat. If I don't loose lbs I definetly loose inches. I loose whether I work out or not...which is nice but not so much for my pockets/clothes I wear as I have not bottomed out yet with my weight loss. I love loosing the weight but hate the way it came about=Lupus.

Monique89
07-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Well since being off the prednisolone, and cutting out a lot of foods from my diet (corn chips and dip are my favourites lol), i have lost 1.4kg in 4 days. I am quite happy with that LOL!! I dont know if its the lupus or the food thing, but i will take it!!

crmj1183
07-13-2009, 07:05 PM
I think it all depends on the dosage when it comes to prednisone. Ive been taking prednisone for almost 9 yrs, 5-10 mg, just recently Ive been raised to 60mg and boy o boy did I pack on the weight.

Chriss

Monique89
07-13-2009, 07:21 PM
yeah, when i started on the prednisolone, i was on 80mg a day, and the weight just piled on, even when i wasnt eating much at all!! On the smaller doses (5-10mg) i wasnt gaining weight...

brandichi
07-13-2009, 08:56 PM
I've gained and lost since I was diagnosed, but I think for the most part it's my own fault, not the lupus. When I'm on prednisone, I gain easily, but I guess that's to be expected. That said, I lost 80 pounds after I was diagnosed, but I worked damn hard at it!! Over the winter, I gained 20 pounds, but that's because I was depressed, pissed off at the world for having lupus, and dealt with my emotions by eating chocolate. Lots of it. Now I'm losing - very slowly - and I want to lose 50 pounds. I won't be thin even at that, but my doctor doesn't want me to lose more than that. He said that for auto-immune patients, it's actually better to have a little extra weight. I'm not sure why, but I'm all for that, lol!

Danica01
07-13-2009, 09:16 PM
I gained about 10 pounds but it was last winter right after my surgery. I was not able to get around for some time and all I ate were lime flavored tortilla chips.....not the healthiest food but oh well! I am trying to change my diet but I feel like I have a bit of water weight right now. I kind of feel floaty....if that makes any sense :-)

I like this poll and the posts here have made me smile and not feel so alone with this unstable side effect of you lovely disease!