PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Moon Facts....

Rastagirl
07-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Just thought I'd share a tidbit of information I learned about the full moon today.....

Tonight's full moon is called a "Full Buck Moon".....which simply means that all the new bucks will begin getting their new velvety antlers.

The full moon we see tonight will actually appear 12% smaller than any other full moon we see this entire year, due to the fact that the earth and the moon are farther apart from each other tonight than any other time during this year.

Oh, and not a moon fact....but involving space....we, in Portland, will have a viewing of the Space Station tonight at 11:11 pm....that is if the few clouds we have decide to cooperate and move out of our way.

Here's a Full Buck Moon from this time last year......

http://bp1.blogger.com/_EqQZrgoXvqM/SH_AXTWfrjI/AAAAAAAABjM/xm6ALA1mdws/s400/Bright+Moon.jpg

This information provided for your educational enrichment! :yup:

:cool2: Lori

mountaindreamer
07-07-2009, 06:28 PM
wow, thanks lori,

i was not familiar with the buck full moon. I knew about the young bucks starting their new antlers, but i did not know that there was a relationship with the full moon.

and what a beautiful picture.....hope you see the space station.

debbie-b
07-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the education. Too bad that brain fog is going to let me forget what I've just learned, by tomorrow.LOL. But it is really interesting.

Debbie

magistramarla
07-07-2009, 06:30 PM
How beautiful, Lori.
I really can't wait to live on the West Coast!
Unfortunately, there are other things that the full moon tends to influence in we ladies, which I am bemoaning at the moment! Not a nice thing to happen just when I was recovered from the MTX injection and starting to have some energy!!
BTW, you would get along well with all the scientific types in my family.
Marla

Rastagirl
07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
How beautiful, Lori.
I really can't wait to live on the West Coast!
Unfortunately, there are other things that the full moon tends to influence in we ladies, which I am bemoaning at the moment! Not a nice thing to happen just when I was recovered from the MTX injection and starting to have some energy!!
BTW, you would get along well with all the scientific types in my family.
Marla

Hey Marla....

Wouldn't you prefer to have the full moon influencing that, rather than growing velvety antlers out of your head???

....just helping you keep things in perspective here. :)

And, hey...I think I was just called a "geek" by you..... :laugh2: ...oh wait, I just reread it....you're saying I have a scientific mind like the brilliant members of your family. :cute: That sounds wayyyy better.

Smiles... :veryhappy:

Lori

Monique89
07-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Thats a great photo! Some photos amaze me...
We dont have a full moon here tonight, just a normal one i think LOL

rob
07-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Hey Lori,

Cool subject! We all know who the first man to stand on the Moon was-Commander Neil Armstrong. The second man to stand on the Moon was his Lunar Module Pilot-Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin. But, who was the last man to stand on the Moon? His name is Astronaut Eugene "Gene" Cernan, and he left man's last footprint on the lunar surface on December the 11th 1972. Hopefully, we'll go back one day, as there's alot of uncharted territory up there.

Rob

Rastagirl
07-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks Rob...for adding this cool fact to my Lunar thread.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Good to learn something new everyday.

We'll ALL try to hold on to that fact as long as we can...right guys?? :yup::yup:

There will be a quiz next week on all of these facts, including knowing the lunar phases of the moon, how these phases affect a woman's cycle, as well as deer growing their antlers, and who left the last human footprint on the moon.

And there will be a Bonus question for extra credit!

I recommend using your time wisely this weekend and studying in preparation.

Rastagirl
07-07-2009, 11:41 PM
wow, thanks lori,

i was not familiar with the buck full moon. I knew about the young bucks starting their new antlers, but i did not know that there was a relationship with the full moon.

and what a beautiful picture.....hope you see the space station.

Nope... :nah: didn't see the Space Station....just clouds.

Hoping the clouds clear a little, so I get to see the Full Buck Moon at least....

I can see the bright light of it, shining through the clouds.

I'll report back later.....

:outtahere:

rob
07-07-2009, 11:43 PM
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the...

Rastagirl
07-07-2009, 11:55 PM
PERFECT!

http://www.geocities.com/pipeline/reef/8195/dark.jpg

...I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon...

You "Really Rock" Rob.....Thanks!

Danica01
07-08-2009, 01:32 AM
You guys crack me up :-) I love all information you provided for us.........I m intreged by that kind of information. I hope you all sleep well under this full moon. Good night :sleepy:

Angel Oliver
07-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Oh how interesting and i loved the photo ..so nice. I love looking up at the moon n the stars.I remember when wee had an eclipse in the day time a few years back...so weird going dark in the day.....so nice though. Sad about the clouds.I think ive seen the station if its the same one...looks like a very bright star..but its not?

love Amanda.xxxxxx

p.s i see shooting stars and what i can only say are satelites moving slowly through the sky then getting brighter then dissapear.....or is it E.T ? Good to watch anyway.xxx

magistramarla
07-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Here's some "moon" info from the Latin teacher:
Luna is the Latin word for moon, which is where we get the word lunar. Spanish borrowed the word directly from the Latin.
The goddess Diana (Artemis in Greek) was often associated with the moon. She was the twin of Apollo, the god of light. His arrows were harsh and painful (like the rays of the sun). Hers were soft and painless (the light from the moon).
She was the goddess of the hunt, all wild animals, especially baby animals, and she was often associated with women in childbirth.
The even more ancient Greek goddess of the moon was Selene, the sister of Eris (dawn) and Helios (the sun). According to legend, she fell in love with a handsome young shepherd named Endymion. She asked Zeus to let him live forever, so Zeus made him sleep forever, thus staying a young man. He smiled in his sleep and dreamed that he held the moon in his arms. He did, since Selene gave Endymion 50 daughters, all as pale and beautiful as their mother and as sleepy as their father!
I do so love mythology and the etymology of words!
MagistraMarla

iseedeadmonkeys
07-08-2009, 01:18 PM
And heres some more intresting facts about the moon-

The moon is not a planet, but a satellite of the Earth.

The surface area of the moon is 14,658,000 square miles or 9.4 billion acres

Only 59% of the moon's surface is visible from earth.

The moon rotates at 10 miles per hour compared to the earth's rotation of 1000 miles per hour.

When a month has two full moons, the second full moon is called a blue moon. Another definition of a blue moon is the third full moon in any season (quarter of year) containing 4 total full moons.

From Earth, we always see the same side of the moon; the other side is always hidden.

The dark spots we see on the moon that create the image of the man in the moon are actually craters filled with basalt, which is a very dense material.

The moon is the only extraterrestrial body that has ever been visited by humans. It is also the only body that has had samples taken from it.

The first space craft to send back pictures from the moon was Luna 3 (built by the Soviet Union) in October 1959.

The moon has no global magnetic field.

The moon is about 1/4 the size of the Earth.

On the moon, there is no wind or water.

Oh i love facts about the moon

ISDM
xxx

Rastagirl
07-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Way cool!! :yes:

I too love facts about the moon, ISDM. Thanks for supplying us with some really good ones.

Marla....I couldn't get enough mythology in school...read every book I could get my hands on. Many thanks for the wonderful education facts for today.

Unfortunately, the clouds did not cooperate last night in Portland....so there was no viewing of the Full Buck Moon for this moon lover.

However, there is always another chance this same time next year. Same bat time....same bat channel!

Enjoy your day!