PDA

View Full Version : white bumps

Neicee99
07-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Hi Everyone
I was just wondering if anyone else has or ever had little white bumps on their face. They are not blemishes, that much I know. They are bright white and the size of a ball point pen (the part where the ink comes out). I have 3 now and looks like another is on the way.
Thanks for reading.

Saysusie
07-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Hi Neicee99:
Most rashes with lupus tend to be red and raised. However, you may have milia. Milia have been described in association with many disorders, including bullous pemphigoid, inherited and acquired epidermolysis bullosa, bullous lichen planus, porphyria cutanea tarda, and burns. Skin trauma from dermabrasion or radiotherapy can result in milia formation. Those little white bumps, or milia, are keratin-filled cysts, or simply little globs of protein under the skin. There are generally two types of milia. Primary milia may result from oil glands that have not fully or properly developed. Secondary milia result from trauma to the skin.
The little white bumps on your face does not necessarily mean that you have acne. Milia, are little balls of protein beneath the skin that do not have a pore, or hole in the skin through which to escape. Comedones or whiteheads are excess fats and wastes that are trapped in a hair follicle and so they clog up the pore. In short, milia are proteins trapped within the skin, while comedones are fats and skin debris trapped within the pore.
Exfoliating the skin, or removing the dead skin cells from your skin with an abrasive product or chemical, is beneficial. But brutally scrubbing your face with soaps and chemicals too frequently may actually create milia. To avoid this, remember that gentle exfoliation helps prevent excess dead skin cell build-up that could clog your pores and cause whiteheads, not milia.
You may develop milia after excessive exposure to the sun. The reasons for developing milia after sun exposure are debatable. According to some studies, the active ingredients sunscreens like Parsol 1789 may cause sun allergies and later lead to a milia breakout. Other studies blame the sun itself for “damaging” the skin can thus causing little white bumps.
The key to getting rid of milia is realizing that they have no escape route, those little bumps are trapped under the skin. So, to get them out, you’ll need to have a professional like a dermatologist or aesthetician extract them. You can extract the milia yourself, but this involves risks. You need to ensure that you milia are not symptoms of some underlying disease or illness before you try to extract them yourself. So, make sure that you consult with your doctor to find the underlying cause prior to taking any steps to alleviate them yourself. Also, if you extract the milia yourself, you may have trouble completely pulling out the cysts, as the removable process may prove too painful.
I hope that this information has been helpful. Best of Luck
Saysusie

Awi
08-16-2005, 08:05 PM
My white bumps are @ 1/8" in diameter,and started out as flat, red lesions that spontaneously split after being in the sun (this was before I knew I had Lupus). Eventually, enough scar tissue built up to stop the splitting, and left what faded to skin-toned 3-d bumps. They shrank some during the 2 years of high-dose Prednisone, but they've never gone away. No new ones have formed since I started staying out of the sun, but there's a new red spot that comes and goes depending on sun exposure. It has never gotten bad enough to split open. All of mine are in the "butterfly" area.

Hope that helps...?

Saysusie
08-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Hi Awi;
From what you've described, it sounds as if you do, indeed, have lupus lesions, probably discoid lupus lesions or subacute lupus lesions.
The discoid lupus lesions can develop thick, scaly (hyperkeratotic) formations that can split or crack and are termed hyperkeratotic or hypertrophic cutaneous lupus lesions. They may also occur in the presence of thickening (deep induration) of the layers of underlying skin. This is termed lupus profundus.
There is another type of lupus lesion which was discovered in the late 1970's, subacute lesions. This lesion is characterized as a non-scarring, erythematosus (red), coin-shaped lesion which is very photosensitive (gets worse when exposed to UV light). This type of lesion is characteristic of subacute cutaneous lupus and generally occurs in lupus patients who, approximately 50% of the time, demonstrate features of systemic lupus erythematosus. The subacute cutaneous lupus lesion can sometimes mimic the lesions of psoriasis or they can appear as non-scarring, coin-shaped lesions. These lesions can occur on the face in a butterfly distribution, or can cover large areas of the body. Unlike the discoid lupus lesions, these lesions do not produce permanent scarring, but can be of major cosmetic significance as they can discolor the skin.
Subacute lesions starts out as a flat lesion and gets bigger by expanding outward. The center may become less red and may even clear up completely so that, after a while, this rash looks like many circular red areas with clear holes in their centers. The rash appears on the face, chest, arms, and back. It is very sensitive to the sun and, like the other form of subacute cutaneous lesions, usually is very itchy. The rash of subacute cutaneous lupus usually heals without scarring, or leaves a non-depressed scar or area of depigmentation (white spots) where the rash had been. People with subacute lesions are usually very sun-sensitive and will frequently have a specific nuclear autoantibody called anti-Ro. SLE patients with anti-Ro are more likely to have a sun-sensitive rash than SLE patients without anti-Ro.

Let me know if this has been helpful to you!
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Awi
08-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Yes, I was virtually certain they were related to the (at the time undiagnosed) SLE I eventually was diagnosed with, and I believe that if the lesion in my urinary tract were as easy for me to treat effectively as I did the ones on my face, and wasn't constantly being bathed with urine, it would heal. It would be lumpy and might occlude my urethera somewhat, but hell, I can't pee now, anyway as it hurts so much --I have to do childbirth breathing excercises to get it to unlock-- and my urethra still will involuntarily close up again just as the sphincter muscle has relaxed because it "knows" that the second the on-coming urine hits the lesion, it's going to knock me off the toilet.

Sorry this is gross...

I have had this idea of self-catheterizing and delivering sterile aloe vera to my urethra, in the hopes that it will heal, as I can't see the point of going to a pain doc with a constant live source of pain (but I'm going anyway). The thing is, the catheter has to pass by the lesion, stimulating the pain, which makes it seem futile, but then I think, maybe it'll start to heal, so I go back and forth and haven't yet tried it. It's especially hard as self-catheterizing is tricky, done by feel or squatting over a mirror, and so what I really need is a friend who can do what I can do, isn't squeamish, and will make a commitment to helping me in this unusual way. My doc will write an Rx for the catheters, but I'd need to do it several times a day for a couple of weeks to even get a jump on the healing process. But few traditional Healers such as myself are also familiar with Western Medicinal
practices and techniques.

I'm out of touch with my old Midwife friends, as I've been not practicing for 4 years, and even were any willing, they'd never have the time. I am out of ideas, except doing it myself, which will hurt at first, but I'll get less clumsy with time...I think I should at least try it. Then if it works, I can start weaning myself off of the Morphine and perhaps regain my life to some degree. I'll keep you posted...and if you have ideas, please speak up.

Thanks,