PDA

View Full Version : body temp below 98.6?

Ang123
07-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Hi - I've seen fevers mentioned frequently with Lupus but my question is...does anyone else typically have a BELOW normal body temp? My "normal" temp is about 97.2 so I can feel as though I have a fever at 98.6. Just wondering if that's something unusual with me or if others have the same issue. My temp has only been like this since I've been ill - it used to be 98.6. I am also being treated for chronic lyme disease so am never sure what symptoms go with what illness, or if they aren't related at all. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this...

Ang

gina
07-06-2009, 06:23 AM
my body temp is always 97.9 so anything above that is a fever for me. so you can have low body temp all the time and when its elevated it is a fever for us. your not alone my dr. put in my file so when they do take my temp. they know if above that is a fever for me.

your not alone.

Oluwa
07-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Hi Ang...

I am Oluwa..have we met? I don't think so..hugs, welcome.

Yep...seems to be the norm with Lupus. Night sweats, low temperature, chills. I started a thread a while back...follow the link...

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthread.php?t=3759&highlight=temperature

Also too....basal temperature falls and rises with our menstruation, ovulation cycle. One of the many changes that take place in a woman's body during her menstrual cycle is an increase in body temperature at the onset of ovulation...when we lay an egg. He peaks sharply. During the first the first part of a woman's cycle, the body temperature is lower, oh about 10 days before the big O or right at the onset of your menses. We attempted INVITRO before..so I know how the temperature fluctuates with the cycle.

Are you taking your temps are various times of the day and it remains the same? Usually upon rising we have a lower temperature too.

My doctor could not explain the cause as before Lupus decided to settle in permanently with all the symptoms daily I usually ran high in the 99point...range. I get the stink eye..the blank stare when I ask such questions.

For some a low temperature is their norm...but it could be hormones, thyroid...hypoglycemia..medications....

Be well, keep well.
Hugs.
Love,
Oluwa

Bonita
07-06-2009, 09:24 AM
I am way past the age of menstration or cycles and my body temps range from 96 to 100.5 some days and when they go over what is considered normal i feel rotten but it is something i have been living with since i was diagnosised with lupus and myositis 3 years ago. The doctor asked me if i can stand the fevers and i said i guess i have no choice. I do not know if this will last me lifetime or noti hope that you feel better and this web site is so helpfull for the many of us who are in the same boat . Love bonita

Ang123
07-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the responses. It's always nice to have a place to come where you can bring up weird symptoms and not have people think you are wacko! haha Oluwa-yes, I'm new. I just jumped right in and started posting. I was rude and didn't post an official introduction. :laugh: Am happy to have found this board. It's a great source for info and support! Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Ang

Danica01
07-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Oluwa............you are amazing and always have such amazing information to share with all of us.......thank you and tonight I am sending you hugs :hug:

Ang123.......I normally always have a small fever but when my fever breaks I immediately drop lower than 98.6. I always wondered if this was normal and I missed Oluwa's thread, so thank you for bringing it back up......I feel much better tonight. I am also sending you hugs too :hug:

Oluwa
07-07-2009, 04:26 AM
Ah, you're welcome and thank you Danica ..that is so lovely of you to say..hugging you back.

I read alot, been through alot and the PC is so handy. I learn as I go...

Enjoy the day..I will.
Love,
Oluwa

MicRoMediC
07-07-2009, 06:16 AM
different people run at different temps, even different blood pressures. my temp usually runs around 97.0 so a 99 temp is pretty high for me. also my bp runs like 108/70ish. more than likely this is normal for you. 98.5 is just an average "normal" temp.

Lala
07-07-2009, 08:10 AM
I also run low..except when I don't.... then I know I am having an episode...hee hee

luvpinkpeeps
02-04-2010, 01:31 AM
my body temp is always low also, so if it reaches 98.6 I have a fever. My mom was the same way.

ricketyrose
02-04-2010, 08:36 AM
the MSers had this same discussion. intersting

karenboss
02-04-2010, 10:28 AM
97.2 at my last visit (Tuesday) never thought about it being low. Feel good right now.

Faith
02-04-2010, 01:58 PM
96.0 to 97.0 is normal for me after lupus dx. I am always cold in the Winter; can't seem to get warm. probably fibro/coag issues. Prior to lupus dx I ran 98.0-99.9 all the time. Anything over 97.0 is a fever for me.

Faith

pandagirl
02-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Low temp for mee too..if I hit 99 I am dying!! I am having a bit of a flare right now and have chills with no temp...I will feel feverish but no fever. My daughter also runs low temp.

magistramarla
02-04-2010, 06:15 PM
My temp is perfectly normal, but my super-healthy hubby usually has a temp of 96.8. Some of our kids are the same, and I always had to have their pediatrician to document it for the school nurses. If I didn't do this, my poor kids would be stuck in school with a (high for them) fever.
Marla