PDA

View Full Version : Naprosyn for lupus?

Mommyof1
07-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has been treated with naprosyn for their lupus. I am undiagnosed but was put on 375mg of naprosyn after having 3 pos anas and cpks and told its AI but not specific enough for lupus yet and was wondering how it worked for you all. Honestly I have not seen much change. My pain is lessened but I still have all my symptoms and am actually flaring again now since 2 nights ago. I have been on the naprosyn for a week now. It seems like it is just covering up pain and not getting rid of what is really there. My dr wants to try to increase the dose before trying plaquenil but I am just frustrated because I am not feeling better. Anyone else in the same boat?

Rastagirl
07-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Hi Mommyof1....

I believe Naprosyn (Naproxen) is an anti-inflammatory that is just for the pain and inflammation from arthritis....like the different NSAIDS that are available.

I took it years ago when it first came out, and was trying it for my pain. It worked okay for me for awhile, but eventually my pain got worse and it didn't touch it anymore. And we had to move onto something stronger.

I do not think that it's a treatment for your symptoms of Lupus, or any auto-immune disease...meaning it's not designed to try to get your AI into a remission, it's just meant for the pain and inflammation that comes with an AI disease attacking your joints.

The treatments available are more along the lines of Steroids (Prednisone), Plaquenil, Methotrexate, Cellcept (if there's kidney involvement, I believe), etc.

I'm not positive about this, but I googled Naprosyn, and it identified it as an NSAID.

Hope this helps.....and most important, hope your doctor can diagnose you soon, so a proper course of treatment can be found.

I'll be hoping.....

Hugs,

:cool2: Lori

CanadianMama
07-02-2009, 10:47 PM
I have been taking naproxen sodium for a couple of weeks.

Naproxen is more of an anti-inflammatory than a painkiller.

Keep taking it... the effect will build.

Danica01
07-03-2009, 07:30 PM
This helped me with pain when I took it but I had a horrible side affect and ended up in the hospital from it. Keep us posted on how you are doing with it and if it helps. I am sending you gentle hugs tonight :hug: