PDA

View Full Version : Had my appt yesterday

lagrace
07-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Hey,
I had my appt with the rhumatologist yesterday. I gave her all of my symptoms and bloodwork that my primary care doctor gave me. She looked at the tests, asked lots of questions and gave me a physical. She said the joint pain in my fingers and my wrists are due to carpal tunnel. She said the pain in my knees could be due to my weight. She wants to run some tests next time I go for my anemia. I have been anemic for about 8 years and no one can tell me why. She said that I am also tired because of the anemia. She took bloodwork but said that she would not run the Lupus test again. She also took x rays of my hands and knees. Overall, she thought that I don't have Lupus because of lack of swelling in the extremities and the low titer. She did talk about Fibromyalgia as a possibility. From now until I see her again in 6 weeks, she wants me to take anti inflamatories, iron and wear a hand splint for the carpal tunnel. She also wants me to lose weight. The truth is I am not sure if she is right. My symptoms match alot of what I am reading here. My husband thinks I am crazy to get a second opinion, why look for a diagnosis. Should I wait and try these things and see her in 6 weeks and see what she has to say(if bloodwork comes back strange, she will get in touch of me) or get a second opinion? AHHH
Thanks for listening.:wacko:

Lisa

crmj1183
07-01-2009, 08:03 PM
I would definitely get a second opinion, bcuz if it is lupus u want to know. Lupus is a disease that people could have for a long time without any symptms noticeable enough in the beginning to go to a doctor. It took them a while to diagnose me, if ur gut is telling u that u dont think she is right then u should get a second opinion. Doctors arent always right, especially whenit comes to lupus. Its such an uncertain disease thaey dont even really know what causes it. Be positive, get a second opinion. Stay healthy. Hugs

mountaindreamer
07-01-2009, 08:36 PM
hi lisa,

i agree with crmj in that you should follow your instincts, but i also have learned that very often a diagnosis takes time and tests our patience.

How long ago did she run the ana count? I have found that drs. are sometimes limited by the insurance company on how often they can run duplicate tests....i don't know if this is the case here, but i have experienced it. If it was your PCP that ran the test, then there is no excuse for her not to repeat it.

Was this your first visit with this dr? If so, you have the option of changing drs. now, or you can keep your appointment in 6 weeks and see if the next appointment goes any better.

You are the one that controls your health. You will find that others often will question your decisions, but you do what is best for you.

You are in a very difficult time right now. The diagnosis process is often not cut and dry and can take time. I have an incredible rheumatologist, and it still took 13 years for me to get a diagnosis. The ana was always positive, but there were not enough symptoms until last summer. I was first diagnosed with fibromyalgia 13 years ago, and have spent years trying to manage this very painful syndrome. I stayed with the same dr. all of this time, because she was truly trying to help me manage whatever it was that was happening to me. She was my third rheumatologist, and i have been with her for these 13 years.

Auto immune diseases are very difficult to pin down because so many of the symptoms cross over, and also the symptoms are intermittent in that they come and go and move around.

Just educate yourself as much as you can, and trust yourself....you can make the necessary decisions that will confront you.

Keep a explanative journal of any symptoms that you experience. Also make note if you notice symptoms after being in the sun or under flourscent lighting. Everything that you can identify will help the dr. make a diagnosis.

good luck, and we are here so feel free to ask more questions, to vent, or even to complain when your husband tries to throw a kink in your plans.

lagrace
07-03-2009, 06:18 AM
Thank you for your support and advice. I think that I will get that second opinion. Fondly, Lisa

SandyR
07-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Hi Lisa,
I had a similar experience with the first rheumy that I went to see. She had an explanation for my symtoms, but the thing is, the explanation didn't really fit all my symptoms, just some. I decided to go for a second opinion. Had a first appointment with him yesterday, and already, I think I will stick with him over her, even though I haven't heard what he said. I think he might be a better choice for me because he actually listened to me yesterday. :shocked: To me, that is an important thing to find in my doctor. I think you should follow your instinct and go get a second opinion as well.
Sandy

mountaindreamer
07-03-2009, 12:59 PM
hi sandy r,

congrats on finding a seemingly good doctor. Sounds like maybe there is a good fit....if he is willing to listen, you are off to a good start. I know you are feeling a great relief from stress since you found him.

SandyR
07-04-2009, 09:10 AM
hi sandy r,

congrats on finding a seemingly good doctor. Sounds like maybe there is a good fit....if he is willing to listen, you are off to a good start. I know you are feeling a great relief from stress since you found him.

Thanks, mountaindreamer! You're right, I am feeling relief, but I am cautiously optimistic about him. I have learned not to feed into my doctor's God Complex and I am hoping that this relationship will work out.

Lizza
07-06-2009, 06:47 AM
I think it is very important to seek a different opinion if you are dissatisfied with the first. We know our bodies and know when something isn't right. I am going to see my third Dr. in August and am hoping he's a good one that actually cares and will listen. I wish you the best because I understand how hard it is to get a good Dr. - it's all just about money with most of them. Oh and your husband isn't the one dealing with all this sh*t that's why he thinks your nuts for wanting a 2nd opinion. You and I both know if it were him going thru it he'd already have been to a second or even third Dr.! Good luck, let us know how it goes