PDA

View Full Version : ANA and titers what is considered high?

lagrace
06-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Hi, I have a question...
I had a positive ANA and my titer was 1.8 (don't know if I wrote that right). Is the titer high and what is high? Tomorrow is my Drs appt and I want to be as informed as I can be. Thanks for reading.
Lisa

mountaindreamer
06-29-2009, 08:35 PM
hi lisa,

so sorry that i can't answer your question. My ANA has always tested positive and high (sorry, but i took my mtx tonight, and can't remember what my number is). Hopefully another member will be along before your appointment tomorrow.

Don't worry about now being fully informed. Lupus is a very difficult disease because it affects each person a little differently, and it is impossible for anyone to completely understand every thing that lupus does. Hopefully you have a doctor who has earned your respect, and he/she will help you learn about how lupus is affecting you, and he/she will help you decide on a treatment plan.

We are here to help you learn everything that you will need to know in order to be your best advocate.

hope you are getting peaceful rest tonight.

Saysusie
06-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Was your titer 1:80? This is considered low positive and your doctors will probably want to run more tests.

The titer shows how many times the technician had to mix fluid from the your blood to get a sample free of ANAs. Thus a titer of 1:640 shows a greater concentration of ANA than 1:320 or 1:160, since it took 640 dilutions of the plasma before ANA was no longer detected.

A negative ANA is any number LESS than 1:80 (this is "pronounced" one to 80 parts). (Plasma was diluted 1 part plasma with 8 parts diluting solution.)

Since each dilution involves doubling the amount of test fluid, titers increase rapidly. In fact, the difference between titers of 1:160 and 1:320 is only a single dilution. And it doesn't necessarily represent a major difference in disease activity.

Lower than 1:20 is considered a negative result.
1:80 is considered a "low positive" and more tests should be ordered.
1:16 is considered positive and if SED rates and Complement tests are positive, Lupus is considered.
1:32 is a definite positive and mean the disease is active.
1:64 is considered very high and tissue damage is imminent.

I hope that I've answered your question. Please let us know if you need anything further!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie