PDA

View Full Version : Pain when swallowing?

Numpty
06-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Hey guys

Just a quick question. Am down south on holiday just now and the weather is really hot and really muggy and sticky here which obviously isnt great for me. But since arriving here I've developed a bit of a new issue which is pain on swallowing.

It doesn't matter if its food or juice.. whenever I swallow it really hurts. Its just beneath my chest and mostly frontal in my rib area but its as though when my food etc hits that point in my esophagus it really hurts and nothing seems to ease it!

Anyone else get this?

Claire
x

Angel Oliver
06-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi well not to that degree,but funnily enough today mainly ive had difficulty swallowingseems to just stop in the back of my throat n no matter how hard i try it wont go down...then i panic lol.
If i were you,get it checked at the doctor.I have no pain,maybe an infection,im no doctor so could be something totally different.
Yes its muggy here too.Let me know how you get on,but get it checked.They may be able to help you.

lots of love
Amanda.xxxxxx

Oluwa
06-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Hi Numpty....I do, I do...

Gerdie..aka GERD... Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease?

I have Gerdie...

Maybe the weather is coincidental. Eating different foods? Try OTC Prilosec...not Tums or Pepto.

My Gerdie....It gives me pain under my breast bone and times it radiates through my whole chest and upper back. Gerdie doesn't always burn...mine rarely does...just sharp pain. Is your food getting stuck? That is how I was diagnosed in the ER....at first I, they..the doctors thought I was having a heart attack.

I've had my esophagus dilated to let the food flow and drop into the hopper. I think I am due for another stretching....funny, softer food are the worst at getting stuck...

Since the dilation I have a sensitive spot at my lower esophageal sphincter. Not setted properly I suspect....such pain when I eat hot or cold foods on a very empty stomach...I mean double over and ouch, ouch pain. Like brain freeze...

Claire..info on Gerdie..sounds like you? http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gerd/DS00967/DSECTION=symptoms

Love and hugs,
Oluwa

MicRoMediC
06-29-2009, 08:57 AM
it also could be an ulcer...definitely something to go to the doc over.

Numpty
06-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Thank you everyone, looks like its going to be a trip to the doctors surgery when I get home from my holidays. I bought Tums but they've done nothing for me. The only change is food is that I've started a diet with Slimming World and have lost 10lbs so far, so its less carbs (which my body doesn't seem to process very well) and more meat, fruit and veg for me.

But thanks so much for the info, you guys are great! When it started happening I said to my boyfriend that I'd just hop online in the meantime and ask my fellow Lupies for some advice. The font of knowledge here never ceases to astound and overwhelm me.

~leaves hugs for all and returns to hiding from the sun~

Claire
x

MicRoMediC
06-29-2009, 11:49 AM
and now that i think about it, it could be your gallbladder. my only symptom was a stabbing pain in the center of my chest when i ate, especially when i had any dairy product. worth looking into...

Oluwa
06-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Hey Claire...10lbs...Alright, woohoo, way to go. It is so hard losing weight with Lupus.

Tums doesn't really tame the acid, it just coats... if that is, acid causing your pain...try the Prilosec OTC if they have it there.. That actually reduces the acid that is being produce till you can see your DR...might help so you can enjoy your holiday moreso.

Love,
Oluwa