PDA

View Full Version : finger?

shepherdgirl
06-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Is it possible for Lupus to affect one finger? I started getting pain in my middle finger on my right hand on Wednesday. It's now so bad that it hurts to straighten it or bend it all the way. I can eventually move it, but it takes time and hurts significantly. It's puffy, no bruising. I actually thought it was broken from the pain (I've broken several fingers unfortunately), but it's not bruised and isn't very swollen.
I didn't know if Lupus or something else could cause this. I don't remember doing anything to it.

WantItGone
06-27-2009, 12:02 PM
yup, i have pain/stiffness/swelling only in one of my forefingers and both thumbs. never any of the other fingers. yours could b lupus related.

Danica01
06-27-2009, 12:31 PM
On my right hand, the pointer finger is my weakness! I actually will get nodule under the skin on the joints! So, Lupus can affect just one finder. I am so sorry you are having a hard time with that little thing. It amazes me how just one finger can really affect your daily life. Hang in there and I am sending you get well wishes and gentle hugs:hug:

rob
06-27-2009, 01:41 PM
I get this alot too. Back when I used to shoot for a living I would get this kind of pain and swelling in my trigger finger-not good. Now I get it in different fingers on both hands and there's really no rhyme or reason to it. Typical Lupus symptom-it's unpredictable.

shepherdgirl
06-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks for your replies.
Things are starting to add up here. . .

shepherdgirl
06-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Went to the dr. today b/c my finger just keeps swelling and I can't move it now, plus it hurts really bad. The dr. said that I probably strained it really bad somehow (maybe bowling a week ago? Didn't start hurting until Wednesday, but stranger things have happened). He gave me prednisone, 40mg, for 5 days and Indocine NSAID.
He said Lupus may be to blame, the prednisone should help, should help my other symptoms as well (if they are caused by Lupus). I'm hoping to get the feeling back in my leg again like I did when I was on prednisone last. It's only 5 days, but I'll take it.

shepherdgirl
06-28-2009, 11:18 PM
OK, I officially LOVE the prednisone/Indocine combination. My finger swelling is down to about half the size it was earlier! I can nearly straighten my finger now!!! I can also move it a bit more now, it still hurts, but not as bad. The feeling is coming back, that isn't so great, it kind of hurts as I get the tingling sensations in my finger tip. But, glad to have it back. Numbness is never good.
I felt good enough to exercise a bit tonight, too. That means the rest of my body is feeling better.
Wow, didn't think it would work that fast. The doc said it would be an "overnight remedy". He wasn't kidding.
This one is gonna be written down for future reference!

Monique89
06-29-2009, 05:15 AM
Looks like you got your answers, but im glad the prednisolone is working for you!!!

shepherdgirl
06-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Yep, got my answer! Steroids are a miracle! The swelling is completely gone now with just a fraction of the pain left. My finger is now fully functional. Best part is that all my joints that were hurting so bad for the past three weeks are feeling better now. I really feel great today. It may be giving me an artificial high, but I'll take it. :)

Danica01
06-29-2009, 08:45 PM
I love steroids too :-) They always make every part of my body feel soooooooooo much better!!!!!!!!!!! I never turn them down when my doctor wants to put me on them!!!!!!!!!!! I am just happy that your finger and the rest of your body is feeling better. Keep up the good healing :angelic:

Delphinia981
06-30-2009, 03:05 AM
Yes, steroids are a beautiful thing. So glad to know you are doing better! My thumb is my "bad finger"...try having THAT not work!!

shepherdgirl
07-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Eeek! A thumb not working? Not sure I could do that. My middle finger is absolutely as much as I can take.

crmj1183
07-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Shepardgirl.....,

Its the lupus it happens to me from time to time and it even happens to my elbow where I cant move it and my arm look like its in an invisible sling or something. It will probably last for about a week or so, Hope you feel better.:yes:

Oluwa
07-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Me, all 10 digits are impaired...inflicted with pain and swollen like Kielbasas. That is why I only play games with the mouse only...one finger action..bang, bang...click, click...

Does anyone's palms...the meaty parts that encircle the center hurt and throb...wow..mine does..

L.
O.

Monique89
07-04-2009, 10:58 PM
My pinky finger is killing me today!! Cant even straighten it...ouch!!
I hate the prednisolone!! I dont know how anyone liikes it!! It made me put on 6 kg in 7 weeks, and i couldnt sleep! Although the pain did go away, but i would rather the pain than the pred!!!

shepherdgirl
07-06-2009, 12:37 AM
I hate the meds, too, but honestly, I'd rather take it than deal with the pain. Thankfully, my swelling/pain went away in just one day. Within 2 days, it was completely normal. I'm not sure I'd be OK with taking it all the time or for even a couple weeks. When I was on it before, I gained weight quickly. The worst was the racing heart. HATED that.
But yeah, if I had to choose, I'd take the side effects of the meds any day.