PDA

View Full Version : bad teeth!

KATROACH1972
06-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Hey does anyone else here have teeth problems! Mine are absolutely horrible now. I dont know if its the prednisone, Lupus or one of the other 9 medicines im on! Any1 know? hugs Kathy ps. i havent been able to take calcium, the whole 3years ive been on Prednisone!(makes me have esophugas spasms):embarrassed: Kathy

lucky7
06-23-2009, 05:54 PM
AWWWW, not as of yet i dont have teeth problems Kathy. Im sure its just around the corner though the way new symptoms keep popping up on me!:wacko: Ironically enough i go to the dentist for my 6 month cleaning 2morrow! :yes: I actualluy like it, i hate to eat afterwards cuz my teeth feel so good!! LOL

KATROACH1972
06-23-2009, 05:57 PM
I am glad your teeth are great! Just like you! I have had very bad teeth problems, I have atleast three that are eaten through and ready to come off! I am miserable with the flare my teeth and this Texas heat! hugs kathy

Mellie
06-23-2009, 06:17 PM
I have bad teeth, so horrible. My dentist said it probably is a result of lupus meds from his experience. It seems within a matter of a four years my teeth got so bad.

KATROACH1972
06-23-2009, 06:47 PM
I have had five pulled and the rest of mine are cavities! Thanks for ur reply, I thought it could be medicines but wasnt really sure. hugs kathy oh i also think my pregnancies took alot out of my teeth, because I was so sick.

Delphinia981
06-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Girl, mine suck BAD. I'm in-process of having my second bridge put in, and my third one is only months away. My teeth have sucked for years, regardless of my cleanings, dental visits, or home care. I'm there with you!

P.S. - I'm on nothing but a high-dose NSAID. My aunt had Lupus as well, and she has full dentures at 51!

KATROACH1972
06-24-2009, 09:06 AM
You know what, i am 37 and about to see if I can get dentures! Is embarassing but I guess its just part of this wacked out disease! hugs kathy

Oluwa
06-24-2009, 09:27 AM
I have SLE and Sjorgrens and my teeth have held up...I am fortunate.

I have 2 cleanings a year and have enamel brushed along my gumline twice a year...I use Crest Sensitive toothpaste or Sensodyne and mix it up with regular Crest paste. No whiteners of brightners...weakens the teeth.

I have 6 crowns, but that is from not having fluorinated water while growing up, well water or fluoride toothpastes resulting in cavities. Once the fillings gave way, I've replaced them with crowns or with resin fillings.

Kathy if you can, save your teeth, nothing is like the real deal, God made...dentures is a tough choice to deal with it. My sister had all hers pull, dentures because of her diabetes...she wishes she hadn't.

Jeannette..my buck cleaning is tomorrow...

Love.
Oluwa

lucky7
06-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Awwww, sorry for your discomfort Kathy!!!:no: Drink LOTS of water too!!!! That helps to fight decay as well!!!! I have NEVER had any type soda in my life either, the dentist LOVES me for that one cuz i passed it down to my kids too!!! That causes decay in ANYONE, lupus or not!:wacko:

HI OLUWA!!!!!! Thats funny that your a day behind me for your cleaning! LOL Yeah, i just got back a bit ago and my teeth feel SOOOOO good!!!! My dentist said my teeth look great as usual! He says to just keep on doing what im doing because it makes for a great set of teeth! He doesnt have any concerns about lupus damaging my mouth due to my 2 cleanings a yr along with brushing with EXACTLY what you do!! :yes: No soda and i carry a water around with me EVERYWHERE EVERY DAY is a good path to be on!!!!! Try it Kathy, it DOES help!!!!!

KATROACH1972
06-24-2009, 03:32 PM
I am glad your teeth are doing so well, i really dont what choice I got with my teeth! All cavities! I dont think I can have implants with lupus, wouldnt that attack that too? I was told by my rhuem he thought I had Sjorgrens too, because my dry mouth eyes, bad teeth, ect.. thanxs 4 ur suggestions friends! Kathy

Angel Oliver
06-24-2009, 05:41 PM
I have good teeth and just had my 2 teeth pulled yesterday.Good teeth...bad jaw :) Just carnt win lol.xxxxxx

justomegirlindallas
06-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Yes, I have bad teeth. I am 29 and need to have dentures. I've had thousands of dollars worth of dental work to try to stay ahead of my dental woes over the years. Everytime I try to get the evaluation I need for dentures the dentists try to guilt trip and scare me into implants, Do I want Dentures? Of course not! But I need teeth eventually that are functional and I cannot afford Implants -

SandyR
06-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Kathy,
I have mixed teeth. When I was young I didn't have good preventative habits like brushing and flossing and eating sugar-free foods. As a kid I had a lot of fillings and several of them were refilled later after the original filling decayed. Now, I have good teeth, mostly. Actually, the teeth that weren't damaged are in very good shape but the ones that were damaged early on are just ok. They are never going to get better and I am working to keep them from getting worse. There is one that was crowned and I have another that I feel that there is a cavity forming on but, honestly, I am going to wait on that a little bit becuase I just can't afford another doctor bill right now and because when I had my cleaning last month is wasn't mentioned. I brush, go to the dentist 2x/year for checkup and cleaning, drink lots of water, and floss. That is one thing that Jeanette didn't mention, flossing. My dentist and hygenist love that I floss. As they say, happy healthy gums keep your teeth in your head and keep your heart happy and healthy too. (There is a direct link between gum and heart health). Jeannette - your healthy teeth form a beautiful smile!

MicRoMediC
06-25-2009, 09:14 AM
I've had bad teeth problems since I can remember. I go every six months and I have at least 4 cavities every time! They look pretty but man they're full of problems. I had two root canals done in the same freaking tooth then they had to cap it.
And yes Kathy, THE TEXAS HEAT IS A KILLER! It's gonna be a high of 105 today with like 80% humidity! AHHH!

lucky7
06-25-2009, 01:42 PM
AWWW, that was nice of you Sandy!! SWEET! Oops, i did forget to mention the flossing huh!!! Yeah, you are right though, it HELPS also in MORE WAYS than one!!!! It all adds up to a healthy mouth!!!!:8:

KATROACH1972
06-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks guys girls! I am sorry alot us share bad stuff, but atleast we are not alone! Hugs Kathy
Micro it was 106 here yesterday! I am dying! ugh!!!

PEARLESS
06-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Kathy
I have lupus and sjorgrens. I was told by both rheumy and dentist that sjorgrens will ruin your teeth. Combined with the meds taken for lupus which also dry the mouth. No win win situation. If you have both of these conditions and are on lots of meds over many years there's not much hope. The breakdown is caused from the excessive dryness. The saliva that people have is intended to rid the mouth of the bacteria that is in the mouth. No saliva then the bacteria just sits and grows. There is some meds that help. I cant take them they make me choke on my saliva. I have had the problem for so long that I rarely swallow any saliva during the day at all. That includes difficulty swallowing dry food and liquids. So I am to the point of needing partials on the bottom and I think I have 8, maybe 9 caps.

Oluwa
06-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Has anyone used Plackers in lieu of floss line. What a good find at any grocer or drug store...

L.
O.

KATROACH1972
06-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Kathy
I have lupus and sjorgrens. I was told by both rheumy and dentist that sjorgrens will ruin your teeth. Combined with the meds taken for lupus which also dry the mouth. No win win situation. If you have both of these conditions and are on lots of meds over many years there's not much hope. The breakdown is caused from the excessive dryness. The saliva that people have is intended to rid the mouth of the bacteria that is in the mouth. No saliva then the bacteria just sits and grows. There is some meds that help. I cant take them they make me choke on my saliva. I have had the problem for so long that I rarely swallow any saliva during the day at all. That includes difficulty swallowing dry food and liquids. So I am to the point of needing partials on the bottom and I think I have 8, maybe 9 caps. You know I have had diffulty swallowing a while!and dry eyes mouth ect.. my teeth are horrible! i didnt know the swallowing was from that? That makes sense! thanks. kathy

lucky7
06-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Im telling you guys, WATER WATER WATER helps to keep your mouth moist. Even IF you HAVE to drink all of the time at least you are keeping it moist!:yes: I have my water with me EVERYWHERE i go. My own SPECIAL cup! I have VERY dry mouth and VERY DRY eyes too. I also take my fake tears EVERYWHERE with me to! LOL Im either sipping from my cup or im tipping my head back to put my drops in!! LOL:laugh:

Lee_amyj
06-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I have lots of gum bleeding and the dental hygeinist want to do a scaling and root planning... ??? i guess that is just a much thorough cleaning.. i am scared to have that done tho.. grr.... plus on top of that it is going to be like $1000 for all 4 quadrants of my mouth... not sure wether or not ho have that done... still debating..

KATROACH1972
06-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Lee_amy, I have never had that done b4, so I am not sure what it entails, or if its good or bad. My gums bleed easily also! I just wish we were all better! Lupus sucks! Hugs kathy hope whatever you decide to do it works!

PEARLESS
06-29-2009, 10:33 PM
your welcome katroach

scubagramplit
07-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I find that fruit and vegies help considerably well in keeping the mouth from getting dry, for me it works better than just water. Tastes good to.

crmj1183
07-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Sorry Kat,

Im not javing any teeth problems, well i have a cavity in every tooth, lol. But I think thats my fault, huh? Anyway it probably is the lupus meds.:yes:

Chriss

lucky7
07-07-2009, 03:29 PM
WOO HOO to the fresh fruits and veges!!!! I find that to help as well!!! AND YES, very yummy!!!:thumbs-up:

KATROACH1972
07-09-2009, 11:03 AM
I find that fruit and vegies help considerably well in keeping the mouth from getting dry, for me it works better than just water. Tastes good to. Ill try the fruit and veg thing! i hate dry mouth esophagus, eyes! ugh! Kathy:skeptical:

Grime
07-09-2009, 12:12 PM
I have very bad teeth. From what I've learned its from the SS. My teeth just break off at the gums so now its hard to eat anything. Could be the reason for my loss of weight. Everything has to be mush with no flavor. Go to a shrimp boil and can't chew a single shrimp. What a bummer.

I also have dry mouth, bad breath and dry eyes.

Want to know whats really sad?

If I go to jail I can get a full set of plastic choppers. I go to the VA and can't get any dental work at all.

KATROACH1972
07-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Thats about right David! That sucks! Sorry! my teeth are so bad now that break at the very top, and have dental insurance but with four kids and being unable to work now, it still to expensive!^&%%^&%&& lol Kathy

lucky7
07-09-2009, 01:39 PM
AWWWW, im so sorry David for how our country HASNT taken CARE OF YOU after you have taken care of US.:no: You are in my HEART:wub:

lucky7
07-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Im so sorry too my sweet Kathy!!!! Im thinking of you and i hope you can get this thing under control. HUGS SEXY CHEROKEE MAMA! XXXX

KATROACH1972
07-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Thank you my sweet indian compadre!

leaann
07-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Even though I am not dignosed yet still in the waiting, but know I will get a lupus answer soon. Wanted to post, I just turned 40 this year and have had to have half my teeth removed and was told by the denist that I would have the rest of them removed and be wearing dentures by the time I am 50.

No matter what I did to take care of them the denist said that my illness was taking them away from me a little at time. I still have my front teeth and and I smile for that. :9:

sorry to hear if anyone else has these teeth problems I know to well how hard it can be. As I have had problems so bad that I had issues with lockjaw and had to have lockjaw treatments for a long time. Still have issues and wish they would take the rest out so I could get it over with.

KATROACH1972
07-10-2009, 01:17 PM
I am also sorry you have teeth issues! This dang disease sucks! I have something wacked out every dang day! Hugs kathy

Angel Oliver
07-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Im so sorry you all have any teeth and jaw or gum problems.I think as ive gone through all of the issues,like many of you,at one point i asked my dentist just to pull em all out.He said he would'nt as they are healthy.I told him well you have already taken 3 healthy teeth,whats a few more gonna matter? He still said no.
I have always looked after my teeth,but i tell ya,this year has been nothing but pain,with the jaw locking open twice n locking shut once 3 teeth pulled,jaw manipulation n injections in the jaw joints....oh my its been hell.
But i am healing nicely and the pain is easing except for the lymph node area n joint.But hopefully in time,since a fortnight ago having 2 more teeth out...maybe the jaw will click back where it should be and i can have some peace and chew on some caramel..mmmmmm.Mostly soft food im on at the moment...chcocolate,lollies,icecream :) so naughty but i deserve it all and so much more foooooooooooooood :)
So im sending you all out positive vibes and hope you all heal and get that mouth pain sorted soon.I soooooooooo understand you all.

lots of love
Amanda....the hungry one :)xxxxxxx

KATROACH1972
07-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Sorry Amanda, i hope ur jaw starts getting better really soon, sweetie! hugs kathy

Angel Oliver
07-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks so much.Today its eased,hope it continues...i see the jaw doc on 22nd dont know what he'll say or do but i'll tell you then.

love n thanks
Amanda.xxxxx

KATROACH1972
07-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Ill be waiting for ur update! hugs sweetie! kathy

justomegirlindallas
07-12-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm sorry for everyone who has dental problems here (though I'm not surprised due to Sjogren's and Lupus medication combination) I once had a dentist ask me if I had Lupus before I ever knew what Lupus was based on the condition of my teeth somehow the way my toungue looked. Of course, then I said 'No' and I probably didn't have Lupus probably just lack of saliva

leaann
07-13-2009, 06:49 AM
Anna,

you said once that a denist said that he mentioned lupus before you were ever dignosed. That made me think back to a time when I went to the denist and he said that one day that a doctor would link my teeth with a medical condition.

It's all coming together for me. Especailly as I look back on what has happened and what has been done.

just wanted you to know that you got me thinking and that helped.:hmmm:

brandichi
07-13-2009, 09:12 PM
When I read the first post here, I was wondering if you have Sjogren's. My teeth were bad for years, and my dentists kept yelling at me, accusing me of not brushing when I DID, and tried everything I could. But no one knew at the time I had Sjogren's. By the time I was diagnosed, it was pretty much too late. I got dentures at 38. In some ways, I really love it because I can eat so many things now that I couldn't when I had my real teeth. And for the first time in my life, my teeth look GREAT - I've had lots of people compliment me on my smile, and they have no idea it's all fake. :) But the down side is the social part of it. I won't go away and share a room with a friend because I won't take my teeth out in front of anyone. When I went to Europe last year with a friend, I kept them in for days, and that was a disaster! I also gave up dating, because what man wants to date a woman who has dentures...along with lupus, Sjogren's, and everything else.

I was told by one doctor that implants will cause a flare, so that was never an option for me. I couldn't afford it anyway, even if I wanted to. Now my new rheumy said if I did just a couple at a time, it would probably be fine. But even if I hit the lottery one day, I don't think I'd go through the pain and long procedure of implants. My neighbor is going through it right now, and I've had less pain with having 14 teeth pulled and dentures than she has with 3 implants!!

I have had considerable bone loss since the dentures, however, so my lower dentures don't fit too well and I have to use adhesive twice a day. That happens with Sjogren's too. I'm hoping to save up enough money to pay for a new set next year, ones that fit better.

Whatever you do, drink LOTS of water!!!! As others have already suggested, that will really help. Good luck!

KATROACH1972
07-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks Cheryl, I am almost positives I have Sjogrens also, I have trouble swallowing becasuse my esophagus is so dry and my eyes are dry teeth bad joints deforming ect... I am seriously comtemplating dentures. I am glad you are doing somewhat well with yours. Thanks for input! Hugs Kathy{

=brandichi;55661]When I read the first post here, I was wondering if you have Sjogren's. My teeth were bad for years, and my dentists kept yelling at me, accusing me of not brushing when I DID, and tried everything I could. But no one knew at the time I had Sjogren's. By the time I was diagnosed, it was pretty much too late. I got dentures at 38. In some ways, I really love it because I can eat so many things now that I couldn't when I had my real teeth. And for the first time in my life, my teeth look GREAT - I've had lots of people compliment me on my smile, and they have no idea it's all fake. :) But the down side is the social part of it. I won't go away and share a room with a friend because I won't take my teeth out in front of anyone. When I went to Europe last year with a friend, I kept them in for days, and that was a disaster! I also gave up dating, because what man wants to date a woman who has dentures...along with lupus, Sjogren's, and everything else.

I was told by one doctor that implants will cause a flare, so that was never an option for me. I couldn't afford it anyway, even if I wanted to. Now my new rheumy said if I did just a couple at a time, it would probably be fine. But even if I hit the lottery one day, I don't think I'd go through the pain and long procedure of implants. My neighbor is going through it right now, and I've had less pain with having 14 teeth pulled and dentures than she has with 3 implants!!

I have had considerable bone loss since the dentures, however, so my lower dentures don't fit too well and I have to use adhesive twice a day. That happens with Sjogren's too. I'm hoping to save up enough money to pay for a new set next year, ones that fit better.

Whatever you do, drink LOTS of water!!!! As others have already suggested, that will really help. Good luck![/quote]

lucky7
07-15-2009, 02:48 PM
AWWWW, Cheryl you can take your teeth out ANY TIME you WANT to IN FRONT OF ME!!!!!! I will make you share a room with me!!!!!:yes: Hey, your teeth are perfect with them in so you get compliments all of the time, thats a GOOD thing!!!!! Compliments are nice!!!!!!:cute:

brandichi
07-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Kathy, is your rheumy doing anything about the Sjogren's? Have you been tested? If nothing else, ask about Numoisyn lozenges. They are by prescription and really help with the mouth dryness a lot. I still prefer to have water with me 24/7, but at times when I need to be able to talk and can't constantly sip water, they are a lifesaver!

Also, if you do decide to get dentures, one day, don't do what I did! Get a GOOD dentist!! I went with the cheapest, and, well, I guess you get what you pay for. I'm still glad I have dentures, but I wish I had gone with a different one.

Jeannette, you are such an angel!! And that's a deal then - if we ever have a chance to travel together, I'll share a room with you. :cute:

KATROACH1972
07-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Brandi, we can share denture cream! Lol I am going to make calls soon about dentures! Hope your days great! HUGS Kathy You would be mad at me Jeanette i havent drank h20 since I can remember! bad bad bad! Hate water! Ugh! LOL Kathy