PDA

View Full Version : Is Lupus hereditary?

Monique89
06-22-2009, 07:11 PM
I know apparently you have a 'genetic predisposition' to lupus if your parents etc have lupus...

How many of us here have somebody in their family who also has lupus??

My grandmother was diagnosed with lupus in early 2008, but was told she has probably had it for years undiagnosed.

Leksie
06-22-2009, 07:27 PM
No one in my family on either side has been diagnosed with Lupus. I contacted everyone when I initially started having unexplained symtoms. Very frustrating time.:arghh:

mountaindreamer
06-22-2009, 07:41 PM
no one in my life was diagnosed with lupus, but we have suspicions about some of the women who suffered with chronic pain....just never diagnosed.

i am cautiously watching my girls, and am getting my son in to see a rheumy for testing. I have concerns about his possibility of having lupus.

DrinkofWtr
06-23-2009, 08:52 AM
My 90 year old father has lupus and was diagnosed with it in his 30's. We think his Mom also had it. But at that time nobody was diagnosed with it.

magistramarla
06-23-2009, 09:04 AM
My mother's side of the family was full of people with "arthritis". My mother had many of the same symptoms that I now have, but was never diagnosed. She had rashes on her face and neck, painful joints, voice problems and so much that I now recognize.
I can even remember great-aunts and great-uncles with the same symptoms.
Marla

Delphinia981
06-23-2009, 10:02 AM
My paternal aunt has Lupus, but that's all we know about to date.

KATROACH1972
06-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I have one neice, one sister and 6 cousins with Lupus. I also have sister with MS. HUGS Kathy:huh:

Rastagirl
06-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I had a Maternal Aunt that had it come on very suddenly when she was about 55.

She died of a massive heart attack 2 days before Christmas 2007, caused by a Staph infection. She had just celebrated her 60th birthday.

:heart: Lori

Danica01
06-23-2009, 04:56 PM
I have a lot of auto immune issues in my family. My grandma, moms mom, has rheumatoid arthritis. My dad also has rheumatoid arthritis. My cousin has either Lupus or MS or even both. My grandma's sister has fybromyalgia. It is surrounding me!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hehehehehehe!!!!!!! It will be interesting to see how things play out for my brother; and sister's.

kducks
06-24-2009, 09:59 AM
My paternal grandmother has had severe rheumatoid arthritis ever since I can remember. We were taking alot of similar medications and were even seeing the same rheumy at one point. From what I have seen and read on various boards, all the signs seem to point to yes it is hereditary.

mortifiedat52
06-24-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm the first in my family to be diagnosed with lupus. But autoimmune diseases seem to run in my father's side of the family.. I had a great uncle with RA and an aunt with scleroderma. And I have a nephew with Crohn's.

lucky7
06-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Lots of arthritis on BOTH sides of my family along with Parkinsons and MS as well. :no: