PDA

View Full Version : Bruising?

Delphinia981
06-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Good morning and good wishes to you all...

I have noticed lately that I am bruising VERY easily. This happens even more around the times when I have a flare. Is there a reason for this? I'm only on Clinoril (an NSAID) for Lupus and RA management at this time (although he's talking about putting me on Plaquenil). Anyone else have any insight or similar problems? I've never had this happen before. I look like I've been beat up by a street gang!! :shocked:

Angel Oliver
06-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi,

Ive not experienced it n not on the same meds as you, but my advice is to get a check up.I think your platelets maybe need checking out.Could be a side effect of a drug,but im not sure.Go n get checked to be safe.The Doctor will know best.

love Amanda.xxx

Rastagirl
06-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi Carrie....

We've had the discussion of easy bruising many times here on the forum. I've encountered it myself for many years...in fact all of my 27 years with Lupus. It was much worse when I was on high doses of Prednisone, but even when I'm on a very low dose, I still bruise extremely easy.

My Lupus doctor tells me that it's a symtpom that is very common with Lupus. He told me that the capillary walls become weakened and will burst with the slightest bump, or sometimes just a touch. And oftentimes, you don't even have to bump anything, they just break and then leak blood slowly into your tissues right under the skin. That's why the bruises generally look so horrible. And if you don't have any extra layers of fat, the bruises will show up even more. Sometimes, right after it happens, it can be quite painful too with terrible stinging. There's not reallly a lot you can do about it. I remember many times, especially summer time, when my legs were so covered with bruises that I wouldn't even wear shorts or skirts because people would stare...and I Knew they were thinking I was being abused.

I searched "bruising" on the forum and found an older thread where we discuss the issue. Thought it might offer a bit more information, and let you see that you are definitely not alone in this.

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthread.php?t=4926&highlight=bruising

Hope this helps answer your question.

:cool2: Lori

kirsten
06-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Delphinia,

I can definitely relate! People always ask me what happened to me because I look like I got beat! I just giggle and tell them I'm a klutz. I actually got a really bad bruise on my shin in January playing broomball that is still visible today... 6 months later. I'm thinking it may not ever go away! I'm not sure there's anything we can do about it, it just comes with the Lupus territory. Maybe just wear pads everywhere you go? ;)

Angel Oliver
06-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Ah sorry i didnt know.....now i do...thanks for the info,i always thought it was to do with platelets.

love Amanda.x

Rastagirl
06-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Delphinia,

I can definitely relate! People always ask me what happened to me because I look like I got beat! I just giggle and tell them I'm a klutz. I actually got a really bad bruise on my shin in January playing broomball that is still visible today... 6 months later. I'm thinking it may not ever go away! I'm not sure there's anything we can do about it, it just comes with the Lupus territory. Maybe just wear pads everywhere you go? ;)

Hi kirsten...

I've had bruises that lasted for 6 months or longer, but they did eventually go away. I remember thinking the same thoughts....that I'd be stuck with them forever. Luckily, that's not the case.

:cool2: Lori

Bonita
06-20-2009, 04:34 PM
i have been having this issue lately and i asked my family doctor on my routine visit and he said a lot of older people get these but i am also going to ask the rheumatologist when i go and i have been on plaquinel for almost a year and predinsone for almost two years and my platelet count is low so i do not know if it makes a difference hope you find out somemore. Bonita

Leksie
06-20-2009, 05:53 PM
The only time I've had bruising is when my platelet counts have dropped, I would get a CBC just to make sure. There was a time when I had to stop wearing skirts to work because I got tired of people staring.:wideeyed:

Delphinia981
06-21-2009, 08:09 PM
LOL Kirsten...I will look into wearing pads...my friends say that I should be in my own plastic bubble!!!

And Lori...trust me, there is no part of my body that doesn't have extra fat padding...heh.

I see my rheumy in another few weeks. Will bring it up with him then. Thanks to all for chiming in! Helpful as always!!

Oluwa
06-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Carrie...Because NSAIDs interfere with blood clotting, some people who take high doses of NSAIDs bruise easily...are you taking a high dose? Under the drug information for Clinoril it reads..

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur and it lists... unusual bruising or bleeding

Angel....

Thromobocytopenia.... A low platelet count is termed thrombocytopenia . As the platelet count falls, bruising, tiny red bleeding points in the skin called petechiae (especially on the lower legs), nosebleeds, or other bleeding may occur. Although there are many possible causes of thrombocytopenia, in lupus it is almost always due to antibodies. A low platelet count may briefly be aggravated by infection. Whereas thrombocytopenia is common in lupus, only occasionally does serious bleeding result. On rare occasions, a person with lupus may have antibodies against both red blood cells and platelets.

Hope this helps...
Sweet Dreams...hugs.
Love,
Oluwa

gina
06-22-2009, 09:25 AM
I also bruise easily, you can just touch my arm and next day big bruise. and when i get blood drawn i look like a bruised up junkie who missed whole area is bruised, they also take longer to go away i have notice on my self.

DrinkofWtr
06-22-2009, 10:54 AM
You should see the bruising on my elbows. People comment about it all the time. I haven't even bumped my elbows, or anything. I am thinking that this bruising is also from poor circulation. Don't know for sure. I remember at one time I was taking a dietary supplement very high in nutrients and it started to go away, but was unable to continue with the supplement. It was very expensive. I am not sure what is causing your bruising, but lupus, poor circulation, high nutritional requirements could be possible causes.

dsunshine
06-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi Carrie
I too have experienced bruising more easliy now that I have lupus as well as getting cuts/sores which seem to take almost 3-4 times longer to heal than before I was diagnosed and had flare ups. I discussed and brought this to my doctor's attention and she said it is a side effect of the medication...can't remember which one exactly...brain fog.

Monique89
06-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Honestly, i would go to the doctors.
I had the same symptoms, really easily bruising etc etc, and i left it for ages and ended up in hospital for 5 days because my platelet count had dropped to 0...
It may be nothing, but i think in this case, better safe than sorry ?
Hope it all works out xxxx

lucky7
06-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Yup!!! Just break out the pen everyone cuz its time to play connect the dots on Jeannette!!! LOL:laugh:

Delphinia981
06-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Yup!!! Just break out the pen everyone cuz its time to play connect the dots on Jeannette!!! LOL:laugh:

Girl, that's me all the way!!

lucky7
06-24-2009, 10:47 AM
WOO HOO!!! We are NOT ALONE Carrie!!!!!! LOL :laugh: We can be in this together!!!!!! Got a pen?:)

kducks
06-24-2009, 11:11 AM
I am one walking bruise usually. I have no idea what I do most of the time. I found a random bruise on the inside of my left heel yesterday. How the heck did I do that? I did bruise alot easier when my platelets were low from my Lupus but still bruise very easy now that they are back to "normal" for me. I even had a bruise from my mom's dog who has no idea she is a 70 pound moose in the form of a paw print on the inside of my thigh once! I just chalk it up to being a Lupie. :wacko: LOL

lucky7
06-24-2009, 11:17 AM
LOL on the doggy comment! :laugh: Not that you got the bruise though!!!:no: Yeah, i too get SO MANY bruises and i have NO IDEA HOW i got them!:wacko: Every day pretty much notice a new one, and like you said kducks, in places where you're going "what the h***?"! :wideeyed:

Sandra
06-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi everyone, I can get in on this thread too, the discription of the bruising to the point of becoming painful is very familiar to me too. Sometimes I will feel a little sore spot under my skin and a little lump which is very sore to touch, the next thing I know there is a dark, dark bruise and it is usually swollen and very painful. But then after that subsides in a day or two the little lump and sore spot goes away. I am assuming that this is because of the weakening of the veins and vessels mentioned.

Funny story, not so funny for my hubby....I had to go into the ER one night as things were getting out of hand...along with various symptoms I had terrible bruising all over the calves of my legs....we had been camping in our little tent trailer...me being short had a difficult time getting in an out of the bed, the calves of my legs would scrape as I jumped down off the bed, thus the bruising.... so anyway I'm in the ER and the triage nurse takes a look at me and then at my hubby who brought me.....soon after we were seperated and i was questioned about the bruises and domestic violence.....I thought I would die! I felt so bad for my dear hubby as I knew he was being considered.....of coarse he didn't even know at the time as he was in the waiting room but he must have wondered what was up by the looks he got from the doctor and nurses and by the look of horror on my face through the glass... when I figured out that these good peole thought my hubby was an abuser....terrible time but I guess they thought better safe than sorry....
Be well, Sandra

debbie-b
06-25-2009, 06:34 AM
Hi everyone, I can get in on this thread too, the discription of the bruising to the point of becoming painful is very familiar to me too. Sometimes I will feel a little sore spot under my skin and a little lump which is very sore to touch, the next thing I know there is a dark, dark bruise and it is usually swollen and very painful. But then after that subsides in a day or two the little lump and sore spot goes away. I am assuming that this is because of the weakening of the veins and vessels mentioned.

Funny story, not so funny for my hubby....I had to go into the ER one night as things were getting out of hand...along with various symptoms I had terrible bruising all over the calves of my legs....we had been camping in our little tent trailer...me being short had a difficult time getting in an out of the bed, the calves of my legs would scrape as I jumped down off the bed, thus the bruising.... so anyway I'm in the ER and the triage nurse takes a look at me and then at my hubby who brought me.....soon after we were seperated and i was questioned about the bruises and domestic violence.....I thought I would die! I felt so bad for my dear hubby as I knew he was being considered.....of coarse he didn't even know at the time as he was in the waiting room but he must have wondered what was up by the looks he got from the doctor and nurses and by the look of horror on my face through the glass... when I figured out that these good peole thought my hubby was an abuser....terrible time but I guess they thought better safe than sorry....
Be well, Sandra

LOL Sandra,

That reminds me of a customer, who pointed to my arms, that had several nasty bruises and said, " I can can take care of him for you". And I go " take care of whom'? And he said, "who ever is beating you". I had to laugh and told him he would have to beat up my job and Mr. Lupus. Of course he didn't know what lupus was.
BTW, my husband hates my bruises, because where ever we go, he gets these looks. Luckely I live in NY and can wear long sleeves most of the year.
I was carrying a box, that was not heavy, but it was big and awkward(sp?), so I had to carry it in my outstretched arms, I ended up with four bruises, two on each arm, two on the upper arm, two on the lower arm, just from the pressure.

Debbie

MicRoMediC
06-25-2009, 08:52 AM
I bruise easily too. I always have. I barely get bumped and it turns black and blue and green and purple and yellow. It seriously looks like someone beat the crap out of me a lot. I hate to wear shorts cuz I always have bruises.

magistramarla
06-25-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm another easy bruiser, and I have been all my life.
I've read that it can be worse with MTX, and I've noticed that this is true. My hubby holds tight to my left arm to steady me when we walk, and unfortunately, I'm left with bruises in the shape of his fingers! It makes that sweet, gentle man look like an abuser, too.
I also usually look like a junkie after getting blood taken. It used to upset my students when they saw my arms.
Just yet another joy in the Wonderful World of Autoimmune!
Marla

lucky7
06-25-2009, 01:33 PM
OMG Sandra and Debbie!!! Your stories are too funny!! :laugh: Sad really but funny as well! Boy we all have those stories to tell huh!!! LOL Hey Sandra, my calves are the most bruised part of my body a well! UGH! Well, my thighs arent all that great either now that i take a glance at them!!!:wacko:

lucky7
06-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Hey Micromedic, i SO RELATE to the shorts thing too. I wear my capris and longer shorts MORE than i ever used to. I dont even like putting on my short shorts anymore. My hubby gets mad at me though, he says he loves my long legs in my short shorts, bruises and all! HMMMMM, i have been with him for 19 yrs, i do believe hes just trying to make me FEEL better! :wacko:

MicRoMediC
06-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey Micromedic, i SO RELATE to the shorts thing too. I wear my capris and longer shorts MORE than i ever used to. I dont even like putting on my short shorts anymore. My hubby gets mad at me though, he says he loves my long legs in my short shorts, bruises and all! HMMMMM, i have been with him for 19 yrs, i do believe hes just trying to make me FEEL better! :wacko:

LOL. Lucky7 you're so funny, I always look forward to what you post or the messages you send me. Thanks!

lucky7
06-27-2009, 03:46 PM
AWWWWW, that was SO NICE of you to say!!!! That made me FEEL SO GOOD!!! I needed that!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!! Im glad i can make you smile!!!!!!!!! :yes: Here, ill put another smile on your face when you read this one. Right now i am running around the house NAKED!!! :moon:ANd this is what happened when Carl caught up to me running around the house naked!!!:spankme: LOl OOPS, im sorry!!!! YOu said i made you laugh, and here i go SCAREING you with that TMI picture!!! I'll try to keep mine and Carls personal shinanigans to myself!!!! :-) I really just wanted a reason to use that icon!! LOL

SandyR
06-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I bruise easily as well. My friends and I laugh about how easy it is for me to bruise. Sometimes I will bump or bang into something and a few hours or a day later viola! :wizard: - it's a nice new shiner. Sometimes I will bang or bump something and feel the bruise under my skin for a few days or longer and it will hurt but there might only be the faintest of skin color differences. Last year I had a bruise on my leg that took over 2 months to fade to light purple and a couple of more weeks to fully disappear.