PDA

View Full Version : Rheumy appointment yesterday...

Monique89
06-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Well i had my rheumatologist yesterday...i was nearly late because of really bad traffic, but i got there like 30 seconds before my appointment lol...

He didnt really have much to say, just wanted to know about any new symptoms (i havent had any), then went through all the blood tests with me...

Basically he said that the tests just reinforced that i definately had lupus...i was kind of hoping for some miracle where he said oops made a mistake, no lupus lol...but no...LOL

Anyway, the tests were kind of confusing for me, and he gave me copies of the ones he thought were most important.

Anti-DNA was 78 on 1/4/09, is now 35
ANA tilter was 1:1448 on 1/4/09, is now 1:640
Antibodies that were positive that should have been negative were SS-A (Ro), SS-B (La) and ENA
The Rheumatoid Arthritis test was negative...
Inflamation test was 40 on 1/4/09, is now 14
My vitamin D level was 63, and should have been about 75, but he said he wasnt worried about that....
All of my other vitamin levels were fine....

There were other tests he did too, but he thought they would confuse me too much, and he was probably right LOL, this is enough for me...
If anyone is good with reading results, some info would be great :)

He said that my levels had improved because of the prednisolone (which was started on 2/4/09).

Also i asked him about the prednisolone, and he said he wanted me to stay on them...which im ok with, i just didnt want to be taking something for no reason....But he said i will be on 400mg a day for the next 3 months, then i will go down to 200mg...I have to go back and see him in 3 months, and also have to go and get an eye check sometime before i see him. Plus i have to go to my GP once a month for BP and urine test to check for kidney problems...

Anyway, sorry that was so long!!!!

Monique89
06-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Can anyone help me with any of the test results?

mountaindreamer
06-21-2009, 07:12 PM
hi monique,

so sorry that you have not heard from anyone....there was a problem with your thread, and it just showed up this evening. We have some really knowledgeable people about lab results, and i am sure they will be along now that your thread is highlighted.

please know for future reference, if you don't get a response pretty quickly to your thread, it is because of a web clitch.

i know you were hoping for another diagnosis, but sounds like your dr. is confident in his diagnosis....now you can focus on treatment options and see what works for you.

Ria0331
06-21-2009, 09:16 PM
I am no good at reading test results but I do have a question does the doc really have you on 400mg of Prednisone or did you mean 40mg cause 400mg seems insane to me but let us know.

Oluwa
06-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi Monique...

I can help you with your lab results...what would you like to know about them? I can tell you what each test is....now if the number is considered a high or a low positive I can not tell you that, as I would have to know what the laboratory range is...

No single test can determine whether a person has lupus, but several laboratory tests may help the doctor to make a diagnosis. The most useful tests identify certain autoantibodies often present in the blood of people with lupus. For example, the antinuclear antibody (ANA) test is commonly used to look for autoantibodies that react against components of the nucleus, or "command center," of the body's cells. Most people with lupus test positive for ANA; however, there are a number of other causes of a positive ANA besides lupus, including infections, other autoimmune diseases, and occasionally as a finding in healthy people.

The ANA test simply provides another clue for the doctor to consider in making a diagnosis. In addition, there are blood tests for individual types of autoantibodies that are more specific to people with lupus, although not all people with lupus test positive for these and not all people with these antibodies have lupus. These antibodies include anti-DNA, anti-Sm, anti-RNP, anti-Ro (SSA), and anti-La (SSB). The doctor may use these antibody tests to help make a diagnosis of lupus.

Antibodies
The antibodies your body makes against its own normal cells and tissues play a large role in lupus. Many of these antibodies are found in a panel, or group, of tests that are ordered at the same time. The test you will hear most about is called the ANA test. This is not a specific test for lupus, however.

Antinuclear antibodies (ANA) are antibodies that connect, or bind, to the nucleus -- the "command center" -- of the cell. This process damages, and can destroy, the cells. The ANA blood test is a sensitive test for lupus, since these antibodies are found in 97 percent of people with the disease. When three or more typical features of lupus are present -- such as involvement of the skin, joints, kidneys, lungs, heart, blood, or nervous system -- a positive ANA test will confirm a diagnosis of lupus. However, a positive ANA test result does not always mean you have lupus. The ANA can be positive in people with other illnesses, or positive in people with no illness. The ANA can also change from positive to negative, or negative to positive, in the same person. Still, lupus is usually the diagnosis when these antinuclear antibodies are found in your blood.
In addition to the ANA, doctors trying to diagnose lupus often look for the following specific antibodies.
Antibodies to double-stranded DNA (anti-dsDNA) are antibodies that attack the DNA -- the genetic material -- inside the cell nucleus. Anti-dsDNA antibodies are found in half of the people with lupus, but lupus can still be present even if these antibodies are not detected.

Antibodies to Ro/SS-A and La/SS-B (Ro and La are the names of proteins in the cell nucleus) are often found in people with Sjögren’s syndrome. Anti-Ro antibodies in particular will be found in people with a form of cutaneous (skin) lupus which causes a rash that is very sun-sensitive. It is especially important for your doctor to look for the Ro and La antibodies if you are pregnant, as both autoantibodies can cross the placenta and can cause neonatal lupus in the infant. Neonatal lupus is rare and not usually dangerous, but it can be serious in some cases.

If you need more info...let me know...or if this isn't what you were looking for...

Sleep well..
Hugs.
Love,
Oluwa

Danica01
06-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Oluwa.......

You are such an angel! You are so informative and I actually found myself thinking about my lab work and what it meant based on your thoughts! I think Monique 89 will be happy with your response and I am sure it will help her understand everything even more.....thank you.

:angelic:

Danica

Monique89
06-22-2009, 05:42 AM
Oops i meant i was on 400mg of plaquenil, sorry LOL...and i am only on 5mg prednisolone...Dont know what i was thinking!!

Thanks so much Oluwa!! There is a range on the test reports, so i can see they are definately 'over' the normal ranges.....But your info was really helpful.

Thanks everyone :)