PDA

View Full Version : meet Dr Greedy

debbie-b
06-17-2009, 06:01 AM
This is what happend to me a few days ago. I called my rheumy's office for an appointment, because I am in a bad flare.
Ring, ring.
Receptionist: Dr Greedy's( not his real name) office.
Me: hi I would like an appointment asap.
Recept: What seems to be the problem, honey?
me: I am in a bad flare.
recept: No problem honey,what is your name?
me: debbie b.
recept: one moment. Ahh honey our records show, that you owe a balance of $200.00.
me: really? My insurance usually pays for everything.
recept: You owe 200 bucks.
me: well when I come in for my appointment, I'll look at it and pay for it then.
recept: ohhh no honey, it doesn't work like that, you pay first, then you get the appointment.
me: I am going to be there anyway, I will pay then.
recept: you pay now over the phone, or no appointment.
me: I don't even know if I really owe that 200.
recept: if I say you owe it, you do, honey.
NOW I AM TICKED OFF
me: first of all stop calling me honey.
recept: sorry Debbie, docs orders, nobody with a balance gets to see him, ever.
me: I don't remember being on a first name basis with you. You can call me Mrs. B. Let me ask you something, I want to make sure I understood you right. Do you think I owe $ 200.00 or $ 200000.00 Dollars?
recept: 200 off course
me: well I didn't think a rich doc like Dr Greedy, needs 200 Dollars that badly.
and why did I never receive a bill? Did you send me a bill?
recept: I am pretty sure.
me: I suggest you send me a bill, if I owe it I will pay. And you better get my records ready, so that I can take them to my new rheumy.

Nice story he? I was fuming. I am in a bad flare and now have to wait more than 3 months to get into a new rheumy. But my regular doc is great and he is going to help me out untill then.

Debbie

iseedeadmonkeys
06-17-2009, 06:09 AM
WHAT THE FLYING....

was that all about?

How flamming rude! good for you mrs B i would of said the same!

you guys seriouly need NHS system, paying to see your dr...OUTRAGEOUS!!

P&L
ISDM
xxx

DrinkofWtr
06-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Unfortunately, this is the way it is nowadays with everything. I believe it is only going to get worse in this economy. Everybody is insisting on getting paid upfront. They are so afraid they won't get their money and in some instances they aren't getting it. We are no longer seen as individuals. The people who are paying their debts are the ones who suffer on account of the ones who can't or won't pay theirs.

tiggerlishus - Heidi
06-17-2009, 07:21 AM
omg i agree with ISDM you guys seriously need nhs system over there its redicilous ( OH BUGGER can't remember how to spell!!!) good for you your the one paying thier wages they should be treating you with recpect!!
i wonder if you have a recomendation system we have something over here for like builders, plumbers such like where you have list of people with recomidation or you can complain about them and thhey get put on another list to aviod ohh i feel like i'm waffling i hope you know what i mean!!!
well hang in there sending lots of fingers crossed for all sorted soon xx

Oluwa
06-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Debbie...

Wow. I would write a letter, certified to your doctor regarding his receptionist's nonchalant unprofessional behavior if he is an excellent doctor. I am sure he would like to be aware of how his receptionist is handling his patients.

My doctor offices are not pay upfront service for visits. Times I forget to pay my copay and just receive a bill sometimes and the next time, be it 3 months or 6 months I will pay the amount owing at my next visit.

If I get a cortisone shot...billed.

When I was upper scoped I had to pay the co-insurance and/or deductible before the procedure....same with MRIs..

Surgeries...I pay the surgeon his copay and then the hospital, staff, technician bill me their co-insurance..

I guess it depends on the doctor and their specialty who charges when....and I think too location, city and state.

ISDM...
NHS isn't a free system is it? I always thought employees pay 40% tax on their salary to take care of the nations health and dental care and other national programs in the UK? No?

For me, personally..I like my private health and dental care, because I have choices, options in who cares for me...Hire and fire at will..Star Trek...

Enjoy the day...try to..
Love,
Oluwa

rob
06-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Debbie,

You need a large man of an Italian background with a heavy New York accent to make your Dr. "An Offer He Can't Refuse". What a crock. You owe us money, but we didn't send you a bill to tell you how much, and what it's for?

That's B.S. and you should not be treated like some bum who dosn't pay her bills. That's insulting as hell. Don't put up with it!

Rob

iseedeadmonkeys
06-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Oluwa,

Yes our national insurance that is deducted from our pay packet each month goes towards it, and also pays for my time off work too, i think to date ive payed 16 years worth of N.I, i was chatting to my mum in the hospital today, she explained to me the way your system works over there, but still i think its outrageous,

anyway must be off or summin

P&L
ISDM
xx

debbie-b
06-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Debbie,

You need a large man of an Italian background with a heavy New York accent to make your Dr. "An Offer He Can't Refuse". What a crock. You owe us money, but we didn't send you a bill to tell you how much, and what it's for?

That's B.S. and you should not be treated like some bum who dosn't pay her bills. That's insulting as hell. Don't put up with it!

Rob

Hey I am married to an Italian and I live in New York, lol. Like I said, I never got a bill and I'll be damned, if I pay anything, just because they say so. My insurance pays everything, I just pay the deductable, which I did.
What gets to me is, that even if I would owe these lousy $ 200.00 bucks, how could he refuse to see me, when I am in a bad flare? But I know the answer, he is in it for the money, not to help people. I will never go to him again.
I am trying to find a new rheumy and my regular doc. is going to write any prescription I need. He is a great guy. When my husband had no ins. for a short time and got pneumonia, he gave him sample antibiotics for free, over a hundred Dollars worth.

Debbie

Ps. Hope you are feeling better.

dsunshine
06-17-2009, 11:07 AM
That sucks you had to go back and forth and argue with the receptionist whose tone sounds belittling! Good for you. I don't understand why you couldn't pay it when you went in for your appt. I mean if you never bounced a check or had funds be returned you were in good faith as a person and patient. Sucks you have to wait. Who do these people think they are. I think I would have just had to make a personal appearance and walked in with one eyebrow raised...SHEASH some people!!!

gina
06-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I agree with oluwa,
also my daughter works in a drs office as a med. asst. and no one but the office manager can discuss your billing or payment or anything like that. they can say you have a balance but are to put you through the office manager.
that recpt. better it was you than me cause i would march my you know what down there an make a scene at drs office so they would handle it right away and than take business else where.

PEARLESS
06-17-2009, 12:30 PM
If it were me I would make a report to the medical board. You can do it anonomous (sp). One thing they cant do is turn you away is if you have a chronic illness. They didnt send you a bill and turned you away. Thats a nono!!

debbie-b
06-17-2009, 01:29 PM
That sucks you had to go back and forth and argue with the receptionist whose tone sounds belittling! Good for you. I don't understand why you couldn't pay it when you went in for your appt. I mean if you never bounced a check or had funds be returned you were in good faith as a person and patient. Sucks you have to wait. Who do these people think they are. I think I would have just had to make a personal appearance and walked in with one eyebrow raised...SHEASH some people!!!

Oh believe me, if I wasn't feeling so lousy right now, I would have marched into that office to make scene. But now I am just trying to find a new rheumy, I don't ever want to see that other dr again.

Debbie

Angel Oliver
06-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Oh the arrogance and so patronizing...yes when you feel better make sure you get a letter of complaint out...im so angry for you!! Hope you get a better doctor soon who helps you first then thinks about his pocket later.

lots of love
Amanda.xxx

SandyR
06-17-2009, 03:57 PM
wow Debbie! that's such utter crap on the dr's part! terribly rude and inhumane! If you owed him money, he's supposed to notify you by certified letter. I agree that when you feel better, you should definately write a letter to him. Send it certified with a return receipt. Copy the letter to the NYS Board of Health and to your insurance company. You should also know that while what he did was horribly unkind, it may not be completely illegal since in NYS we only have a Patient Bill of Rights for hospital care and it does not, unfortunately, include care from a private practitioner. (Where in NY do you live, btw?) I am sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience, especially when you already feel so sick, but I think it's great that your PCP is so kind and understanding. I am glad to hear that you stood up for yourself and are planning to find a new doctor. I hope you feel better soon!

RedHairAngel
06-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Debbie B I am also a Debbi B and there are four others in my area alone I would make sure they had the right account for the right patient. Go in personally if you can. or have her send you the statement this sucks I am sooo sorry I hate doctor Greedies! I deal with a bunch of them here in ORegon

The other
Debbi B here LOL

Delphinia981
06-19-2009, 07:35 AM
What a....erm...(insert adjective for a female dog)!!!

I TOTALL agree with Oluwa...send a certified letter about that mess. I hope she gets fired...and I hope you are feeling better!!!!!!!!!!!!