PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Mepron?

Ang123
06-16-2009, 05:37 AM
Hi, will try to keep a long story short...lol...I was diagnosed with Lyme 2 1/2 years ago and have not been having much success with treatments. Recent tests also showed I have Babesia (a co-infection of Lyme). My doctor is also ready to make a diagnosis of Lupus (My ANA was positive, have Lupus Anticoagulant Disorder, skin issues and other symptoms).

Oddly enough, Babesia and Lupus are both treated with anti-malarial medication. I am taking Mepron/Atovaquone. After doing some searches, I saw this drug listed for Babesia but haven't seen anywhere that people have taken it for Lupus.

My question is - has anyone taken Mepron for Lupus? If so, have you found it as effective as Plaquinal (sp?)? I'm not sure what else she will prescribe to treat Lupus for me since steroids are supposed to hinder Lyme treatment.

OK, I guess I have more than 1 question. Question 2 - is anyone else on anti-malarial meds but not steroids?

Question 3 - what effect do long term antibiotics have on Lupus flares?

I have a dr. appointment in a couple of weeks to discuss the new findings/diagnosis and want to have questions ready. Thanks for any info! My head is kinda' spinning right now trying to take in all the new test results so it's great to find a message board like this to talk to others and find out information!

I think it's going to be confusing having Lyme (and Babesia) and Lupus since many of the symptoms are similar. I don't know how the doctor will know which to treat more aggressively since it's hard to tell which disease is causing which symptoms. Looking forward to your responses!

Ang

mountaindreamer
06-16-2009, 12:36 PM
hi ang,

i take plaquenil and i don't take steroids. However, i do take methotrexate (chemo) to try to control the progression of lupus. I have not heard anyone mention taking Mepron for lupus, so it will be interesting to see the responses to your questions.

i don't take antibiotics, but i have seen people discuss the effects of antibiotics on lupus flares....

i am sure others will be along soon who can provide more information about your concerns.

welcome to the group. sounds like you have been through a lot of tests and drs. appointments to get where you are. I hope you find some effective treatments for everything.

Saysusie
06-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi Ang123;
There are many people with Lupus who are only on anti-malarials without the need for steroid. Most of these people suffer more from Discoidal Lupus or have primarily cutaneous symptoms of the disease.
Mepron (aka: atavaquone) is primarily used for Lyme Disease. Atovaquone is used to treat and to prevent Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP), a very serious kind of pneumonia. This particular kind of pneumonia occurs commonly in patients whose immune systems are not working normally, such as cancer patients, transplant patients, and patients with acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS). I have never heard of Mepron being used to treat Lupus. However, I have heard of patients with Lupus and Lyme disease taking both Mepron and Plaquenil.
It is very important that Lyme Disease be treated quickly and aggressively. I imagine that is why your doctor is treating it with Mepron and not treating your Lupus with Plaquenil. It may be that your doctor is trying to get your Lyme Disease under control immediately. Are you taking the tablets or suspension? Because atovaquone tablets and oral suspension do not produce the same amount of medicine in the blood, the tablets and the suspension cannot be switched and used in place of each other .

I hope that this was helpful to you
Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Ang123
06-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Hi Phylis and Saysusie - Thanks so much for your responses. It's good to be able to get some information so I can go to my appt prepared.

Phylis, yes it has been a long time coming to get my diagnoses (is that plural for diagnosis?? LOL). It took many years to get the Lyme diagnosis and luckily I have a great doctor so when she started seeing symptoms that aren't "typical" lyme symptoms, she started investigating more. I feel so fortunate to have a doctor that listens and really tries to figure out what is going on. Sometimes I feel like a guinnea pig but at least she is willing to try different things to help battle the diseases.

Saysusie, I have had the same thought - that my doctor put me on Mepron since it's better for the Babesia to try to get it under control first (and maybe it will have some effect for the Lupus symptoms, even if not as much as the Plaquenil?). I will say that since starting on the Mepron, my skin issues have improved so that's a start! I am taking the suspension formula for the Mepron. My son says it looks like I'm eating flourescent yellow paint (and tastes like it too. LOL).

Nice to "meet" you both and look forward to posting more!

Ang