PDA

View Full Version : Back Procedure tomorrow...

Delphinia981
06-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Well, my psoriactic arthritis is kicking in something FIERCE with my back. I've got a disc that is bulging so bad that it's affecting my legs and ability to go to the bathroom. My pain doc is going to do a series of epidurals on me, starting tomorrow, in hopes that it will calm the disc back into place...but if the epidurals don't work, I'll have to be referred to a neurosurgeon (!!!). :shocked: :hissyfit:

Please say a prayer...I do SO hate having needles in my back...especially because my last idiot orthopedist ended up giving me a CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) leak that landed me in the hospital for a week...ugh. At least they're going to give me some sedation tomorrow...

Rastagirl
06-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi Carrie....

I will definitely say a prayer....in fact, I'll pray you through tomorrow. :angelic:

I'm right with you on the needles in the back thing....in fact, I've never met ANYONE that likes the idea of that. Hopefully you'll get an experienced doctor that can perform the procedure with the least discomfort. When I went through pain clinic during my pregnancy, for hip pain from avascular necrosis, they were pretty amazing at performing difficult painful procedures....and keeping me comforable at the same time.

I'll be hoping that they get good results with the first epidural, so you won't need to endure more than that. One thing I might suggest for your nerves prior to the appointment....something I do reguarly now, is take my MP3 player and headphones and listen to my favorite relaxing music prior to the appointment. I'll sit in the waiting room with it and always ask if I can listen to my music while they are setting up and getting ready to start the procedure. I know myself quite well now, after many years of procedures, and if I'm left laying there with my own thoughts leading up to it, I'll stress and worry myself needlessly. I don't know if you have any type of music player you could use, but just thought I might offer the suggestion. Music always soothes my mind and soul and helps my body stay relaxed.

I'll be praying for the best possible outcome....and for everything to go wonderfully. Please let us know how it turns out.

Fondly,

:cool2: Lori

Oluwa
06-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Dear Heavenly Father, please keep Carrie in your care, protect her while she has here procedure today and always. Give wisdom to her doctors, and bring her safely through this without any complications. Thank you Dear Lord...Through Jesus Christ...Amen.

Angel Oliver
06-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Oh dear Carrie,

I will be thinking of you and sending you lots of courage and so hope it is successful for you and you get a good doctor.

lots of love
Amanda.xxxx

Saysusie
06-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Carrie;
You are in my thoughts and I hope that you are able to find relief soon. Oluwa's prayer was beautiful, so I will just say "And So It Is"

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Delphinia981
06-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Thank you ALL for the prayer and positive feelings. It means more than you can imagine!

The procedure went very well...once they had me under fluoroscope (moving x-ray), they confirmed that I have a small tear in my disc at L5-S1, and the nucleus pulposa (the "inside" of the disc) is poking out and irritating my spinal cord. Good news is, they are VERY confident that the cortisone injections will resolve the herniation enough that the disc can heal itself. I'm on weight restriction...can't pick anything up that's heaver than a gallon of milk (which irritates my 3-year old!) for a month and a half. I figure that's better than the alternative!!

Thank you all again for your kind thoughts...Oluwa, your prayer was beautiful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Oluwa
06-16-2009, 12:04 PM
You're welcome, Carrie...hugs..praying it continues to work...

I had two lumbar surgeries and one cervical spine...the disks herniated and fragmented off..If you have any question, maybe my unfortunate experience can help.

Love,
Oluwa

ButterflyRN
06-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Carrie,
You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you go through these treatments. God will pull you through!

Saysusie
06-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Carrie; I am so glad to hear that there is good news and that the treatments will help it to heal itself. I know you were dreading the alternatives!
You remain in my thoughts and prayers. Take care!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Bonita
06-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Carrie i hope that the pain injections help you. I am a regular at pain clinic and have had numerous epidurals because of having 2 back surgeries. But i had a very good neurosurgon. Hang in there Bonita

mountaindreamer
06-16-2009, 07:31 PM
hi carrie,

i am so thankful that your procedure went ok....sounds like you got good news, and i hope you wil feel better really soon. What a scary day you have had, and i hope you are having a peaceful night's sleep.

Give your precious little one a hug....she looks like an angel.

debbie-b
06-17-2009, 05:26 AM
Hi Carrie,

It sounds like the procedure is helping you. Think positive and we will keep praying.

Debbie

Delphinia981
06-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Wellllllllllllllllll...the procedure went great, and I was getting a lot of relief from it...then yesterday, I went to get Annie from Vacation Bible School, and I had her about halfway up and into her car seat, and tore my disc even more. I am now on strict bedrest until my epidural on Wednesday.

Does it EVER END?!?!?! SO FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angel Oliver
06-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Oh no...i was just gonna say well done....but now...oh my...just lie there n rest.Not what you needed to happen....just rest up...It will all get better soon.

love
Amanda.xxxxxx

gina
06-19-2009, 11:11 AM
I am so sorry you started to feel a little bit better than wham. you are in my thoughts i think i need a list now before i go to bed lol, but you are on the top. xoxo

SandyR
06-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Carrie,

Sorry that I didn't get to post this before your procedure, but I am sooooo happy that it went well for you. :yes: I hope you are feeling better and are off that weight restriction real soon. I know your little girl must be wishing for that same thing. How often do you have to get the injections?

Sandy

DrinkofWtr
06-23-2009, 08:56 AM
My prayers are with you.

Delphinia981
06-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Sandy, I get one a week for three weeks. I have another one tomorrow...woohoo!! I hate bedrest, though It's it odd...you pray sometimes to be able to just stay in bed for a week, but when it's forced on you, it SUCKS!!! :P At least after tomorrow, I won't be on bedrest anymore. Still not allowed to pick up more than 5 pounds of weight until all the epidurals are done, though.

Back pain is significantly less, but they also have me on 600 of Neurontin 3x a day. I will let you all know how things go tomorrow!! Thank you ALL for your well-wishes. As always, you're the best!!

lucky7
06-23-2009, 03:55 PM
AWWWW, HI Carrie! So sorry you are suffering from this back issue!:wacko: I just wanted to tell you that im thinking about you and to start stretching when you are BETTER. I have a broken L5 and a missing disc so im grnding bone on bone, stretching has helped me TREMENDOUSLY!!!! Give accupuncture a try as well!!!! ITS GREAT!!!!!