PDA

View Full Version : Is this what Lupus is like?

hmn
06-14-2009, 11:30 PM
I have been sick for 11 years with HEAPS of symptoms. I finally found a great doctor who has diagnosed me with candida, leaky gut and most likely lupus. I have been treating my candida and leaky gut for a couple of months now because my doctor wanted to get that under control before looking into the lupus. Which I feel like I have. Anyway I'm kind of hoping it's not lupus but I have a feeling it is.

I have a positive ANA test and autoimmune conditions run in the family. I find after I go out in the sun for a few hours or more I feel like CRAP for the next day or so. Tired, achey, moody, a bit depressed, blurry vision, forgetful, I find it hard to concentrate. Maybe it's just a coincedence, but is that what Lupus is like?

Also I have read and seen pitures about the rash. I regularly get a pink rash type thing across my nose and cheeks, but I have always though nothing of it. It's like flushed cheeks when you're hot. Like sunburn and it feels warm. Does anyone get something like that? Or is the lupus rash only ever an actual rash?

I have an appointment with my doctor soon, but I am very curous, thanks!

debbie-b
06-15-2009, 03:57 AM
I have been sick for 11 years with HEAPS of symptoms. I finally found a great doctor who has diagnosed me with candida, leaky and most likely lupus. I have been treating my candida and leaky gut for a couple of months now because my doctor wanted to get that under control before looking into the lupus. Which I feel like I have. Anyway I'm kind of hoping it's not lupus but I have a feeling it is.

I have a positive ANA test and autoimmune conditions run in the family. I find after I go out in the sun for a few hours or more I feel like CRAP for the next day or so. Tired, achey, moody, a bit depressed, blurry vision, forgetful, I find it hard to concentrate. Maybe it's just a coincedence, but is that what Lupus is like?

Also I have read and seen pitures about the rash. I regularly get a pink rash type thing across my nose and cheeks, but I have always though nothing of it. It's like flushed cheeks when you're hot. Like sunburn and it feels warm. Does anyone get something like that? Or is the lupus rash only ever an actual rash?

I have an appointment with my doctor soon, but I am very curous, thanks!

It does sound like lupus. But what is leaky?

Debbie

hmn
06-15-2009, 05:01 AM
LOL, it was meant to say leaky gut.

debbie-b
06-15-2009, 05:52 AM
LOL, it was meant to say leaky gut.

That expains it. But still, what does it do?

Debbie

gina
06-15-2009, 06:15 AM
i think it sounds like lupus also. call your doctor tell him you want more blood tests. keep a journal of all you symptoms no matter how small they are so when you go to drs. you can give them the lists.

Oluwa
06-15-2009, 09:24 AM
HMN...

Hi I am Oluwa, welcome..hugs.

Your symptoms do fit in the realm of Lupus...sun reaction type flare, ANA positive. Your sun reaction could be a flare. Some people call it photosensitive, but actually photosensitive is developing a rash from the sun. Know sun protection is a must for those with Lupus. Even without a diagnosis of Lupus...slather that sunblock on and limit your exposure to the sun...a few hours is quite a span.

The malar rash..no it isn't always like a rash per say...mine is smooth, times bumpy, times dry...time supple and red. Looks like a mild pink sunburn, to a flaming red crisp burn...hot, cool...it has a mind of its own...

Enjoy this day..I am so far...
Love,
Oluwa

hmn
06-15-2009, 06:35 PM
That expains it. But still, what does it do?

Debbie

Leaky gut is when you gut is damaged and food bits leak through causing food allergies. If I eat too much of something I can develop an allergy to it. But it's fixable. My leaky gut was most likely caused by my candida.

hmn
06-15-2009, 06:36 PM
i think it sounds like lupus also. call your doctor tell him you want more blood tests. keep a journal of all you symptoms no matter how small they are so when you go to drs. you can give them the lists.

What other blood tests should I make sure he does beside the ANA? Sorry I don't know much about Lupus yet.

hmn
06-15-2009, 06:40 PM
HMN...

Hi I am Oluwa, welcome..hugs.

Your symptoms do fit in the realm of Lupus...sun reaction type flare, ANA positive. Your sun reaction could be a flare. Some people call it photosensitive, but actually photosensitive is developing a rash from the sun. Know sun protection is a must for those with Lupus. Even without a diagnosis of Lupus...slather that sunblock on and limit your exposure to the sun...a few hours is quite a span.

The malar rash..no it isn't always like a rash per say...mine is smooth, times bumpy, times dry...time supple and red. Looks like a mild pink sunburn, to a flaming red crisp burn...hot, cool...it has a mind of its own...

Enjoy this day..I am so far...
Love,
Oluwa

Yeah that sounds like mine, it's never bumpy thought. More blochy, like sunburn. I have never thought about it until now and I have been getting it for around the same amount of time I have been sick, so about 11 years!

I was out in the sun on Sunday ALL day! I'm guessing that could be why yesterday I felt horrible and today I'm not feeling too good either. I love the outdoors, I'm really hoping this is all just a coincedence, but it's probably just hopeful thinking :( Living in Western Australia, being outdoors is a part of life so that sucks!

Delphinia981
06-15-2009, 06:48 PM
HMN,

Welcome! Oluwa hit the nail on the head (she usually does). I have a malar rash that gets worse with sun exposure (even though I wear a hat and sunblock always), and mine is just smooth and pink...like I got a mild sunburn. It doesn't hurt. I have found that Aveeno Ultra Calming Lotion helps a LOT with the redness, and it has SPF 15, too...it's about $16, but worth every penny.

Know that Lupus has "flares"...you won't always feel bad. Sun exposure can make you feel lousy, but like everyone is saying, wear a hat and sunscreen religiously. Unless I am at the pool, I have on a gauzy cover-up with matching pants. I take no risks.

Once you have a diagnosis, you can get on a medication regimen, control your diet, take supplements, exercise properly, and take other precautions against flares. I've radically changed my diet and added supplements that help with flares, and I haven't felt this good in 11 years...yes, 11 years!! It took that long for me to get a diagnosis...so I understand how you feel. Just keep on pushing until you get an answer. I didn't do that until recently...I just took the "we can't find anything" as Bible truth and kept on suffering. If you can't get a diagnosis from your general practitioner, consider seeing a rheumatologist. That's what I eventually did...and that's how I got my diagnosis.

I know how much it sucks...we all do. Just keep your head up and know that you have friends here!!