PDA

View Full Version : Eye symptoms?

mlu
06-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Hi,
I am recovering from a terrible lupus flare. Needless to say the pain was out of this world. I also got nausea and dizziness, which were new for me.
I am also noticing sensitivity to light in my eyes...Just watching TV causes discomfort. I even get eye pain if I focus my vision for long. Would these eye problems related to the flare?

Saysusie
06-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Or a symptom of the disease itself. I am very, very sensitive to light..to the extent that my house stays dark most of the time. Also, having Lupus, I am prone to Lupus Migraines which also make me sensitive to light.
Abnormal light sensitivity, or "photosensitivity," is a major feature of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).

However, because Lupus flares can be due to infection and can cause inflammation throughout the body, there could also be the issue of eye infections such as iritis, an inflammation of the iris (the colored portion of the eye). This can provoke eye pain, headache, redness, and pronounced light sensitivity.

Also, what types of medications are you taking? Medications, especially thiazide diuretics, certain antibiotics, birth control pills, anticancer drugs (such as Methotrexate), and acne medications, can cause increased light sensitivity.

Speak to your doctor in order to determine the exact cause of your sensitivity as it may be temporary or it may be a part of the disease itself.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

lucky7
06-13-2009, 01:25 PM
HI!! I too am so sensitive to light as well:unsure: I have that problem on and off since ive been sick. I also get floaters and "curtains" which are new for me too. I have NEVER worn glasses in my life but now my eyes are getting all funky on me!:wacko: I had to get laser surgery done cuz of a torn retna, this can lead to a complete dettachment which causes blindness, so now i have to get my eyes checked once a month to stay on top of things. So pay attention to ANY changes because it can be damaging if left alone. GOOD LUCK!!!

scubagramplit
06-14-2009, 08:01 AM
been having eye issues also. I have allergies and while in Oroville, lot of grasses, my eyes really started gooping up and itching just terribly, I visited a pharmacist and after a few question and seeing my eyes he recomended a product with chlorpheniramine maleate 4 mg. I take one appx every 6 hrs., it certainly seems to have done wonders however I still have the itchy eyes and a moderate amount of goop, eyes still are a little red and sore in the corner by the nose, I am trying very hard to keep my fingers out of there. using visine dry eye relief. Eyes seem pretty clear in the morning after I wake up and rinse out all the dried goop but then every thing goes a little blurry and stays that way for the rest of the day, sometimes a little worse, sometimes a little better. I am trying to get an eye dr. appt for two weeks from now, any thoughts?
Jim.

lucky7
06-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi Jim!!!! Sorry to hear about your eye issues as well:wacko: Im glad to hear about your appt you set up though!!!:thumbs-up: SO IMPORTANT!!!!! I too get THE GOOP! I get the red itchiness as well, it comes and goes though, my floaters and curtains are all of the time. When you go to the dr make sure they DIALATE your PUPILS to SEE EVERYTHING. This is how they find any tears or other things that should not be happening inside your eyes. I also use "tear" drops, this helps with the redness and it makes them LESS ITCHY. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Angel Oliver
06-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Im sorry to hear of your recent eye problems and so hope they ease soon.I too am sensitive to light so my bedroom is the dark room..hence the amount of animals who hide in there with me lol.My Mam is always saying how depressive it is but for me...it is ease....less eye pain and like most..i have migranes...floaters and the flashing light show at the side of both eyes.At the beginning of the year i got dark glasses and reading glasses.Does help...dint realise words dont really have the fuzz around them hehhehehe.During the eye test...oh my....thought he was gonna pop out an eyeball....yak ....eyes n belly buttons....yak yak...but i suppose to get better you have to go through it lol.Good luck all...

lots of love
Belly button hater lol.xxx

scubagramplit
06-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the feed back, it all helps dealing with the nice new symptoms, hard to distinquish what is caused by allergies and what is the lupus or are the allergies worse because of the lupus or the prednisone. I have had regular eye checkups every six months since the start of all this so it goes back a couple of years so I do have a good base line and my eye dr. is very thorough checking everything. oh well another day having fun in the sun with gobs of sunblock. God bless all. jim.

PEARLESS
06-16-2009, 12:12 PM
I started have severe light sensitivity with flares after I had optic neuritis from lupus. I know when the flares are really bad and so does the family when the house is dim at night. I also get sensitity to noise at the same time. If I dont turn the lights down during these kind of flares I usually end up with retinal migranes. Which for me, thank goodness, does not cause pain.

lucky7
06-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi Pearless!!!! Yeah, i too get the noise sensitivity when i flare! UGH!:wideeyed: I JUMP at any little or BIG sound! My heart skips a beat at the same time too!!!! :unsure:

PEARLESS
06-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Lucky
my heart does the same thing.

ButterflyRN
06-17-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm currently in a bad flare and I am having some eye symptoms too. I get floaters for about 15 minutes and sometimes the vision in one of my eye goes out of focus and causes double vision for about 5 minutes. It's not fun, and scary!!

lucky7
06-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Please go to the eye doctor anyone who has ANY eye issues they are warry about!!!!! SO IMPORTANT!!!!:yes: I cant stress it enough!!!!!:cute: