PDA

View Full Version : Swollen face without taking Prednisone

Margie26
06-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Hi everyone,

Recently, I have some weird symptoms added to the long list of symptoms I already have/:wideeyed:

After I go in the sun, I get severe swollen face, specially at the side form the face that was most exposed to sunrays.

A friend who also has lupus, said that it is the exposure to the sunrays that let me have that reaction.
I'm not on prednisone.

Today was the same thing. I had to go out to meet some friends who came to visit at the hedge. I didn't have a chance to put on sunscreen and I already had that bad reaction, swollen left side of my face. :hissyfit:

What can be done in such a case?

Thanks

dsunshine
06-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Dunno what can be done. I was told that Lupus patients are extremely sensitive to the sun and to slather on the sunscreen highest SPF you can find and cover up with hats/sunglasses long sleeves etc. The sun is not our friend. Might want to incorporate putting sunblock on as a daily routine to avoid the effects you are experiencing. Better safe than sorry!

KATROACH1972
06-12-2009, 12:06 PM
You drinking Gatorade? Just wondering. It can do that with the sodium in it. If not i would agree its the sunrays. I get a flare everytime i have to be sun, even with sunscreen, but just heat makes me flare. I would say get you big hat fan spritzer bottle, plenty of h20, and sunscreen, and stay cool as much as possible!HUGS KATHY

Saysusie
06-12-2009, 08:40 PM
It is, most likely as has been suggested, your exposure to the sun. It is very, very important that you avoid sun exposure. If you must be in the sun, please be sure to use a sunscreen that protects you from UVA and UVB rays with a SPF of at least 35. On top of this, wear protective sunglasses and a hat!
Do not continue to expose your skin to the sun as you may develop serious symptoms! Also, as Kathy noted, just being in heat can cause a reaction in Lupus patients.

Take Care!
Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

lucky7
06-13-2009, 02:41 PM
YEP, probably the sun! I too get swelling when in the sun, but its of my eyelids! UGH! i can barely open them! I also get a lot of other symptoms as well from the sun.:wacko: I have to lay down and nap and most of the time it will pass but ive noticed that im SUPER SENSITIVE to flares for the rest of the day though. Chart things when they happen, it HELPS alot so you can avoid things if possible so you dont flare.:yes: GOOD LUCK!!