PDA

View Full Version : Left Eyelid swollen and itching

DrinkofWtr
06-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Yesterday my eyelid was swollen and itching. Can't figure out why, maybe an allergic reaction of some kind. I seem to have allergies to almost everything. Anyway, I thought I would be my own doctor and I put some anti-itch medication on it and it started to burn and get red. Well, I figured this is an allergic reaction to the ointment, so I got some water on a washcloth and removed the ointment, being careful not to get any of the ointment into the eye itself. Well, today it is still bothering me some. I am hoping I won't have to go to urgent care. I am so sick of going to the urgent care and the doctors. I am taking a wait and see attitude. It is still a bit swollen and itches. Just my luck, an allergic reaction to a possible allergic reaction.

Oluwa
06-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Hi DrinkofWtr...

Ouch. Does sound like a reaction..or possible insect bite since it is just one eye. Try putting ice on it for 10 minute increments. Should take a bit of the itch out and swelling. Benadryl may help, oral.

Hope it de-swells soon...hugs.

Love,
Oluwa

DrinkofWtr
06-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks Oluwa,

I never thought of ice or taking an anti-inflammatory. Sometimes, it seems I have a one track mind.

SandyR
06-11-2009, 07:11 PM
DrinkofWtr - I frequently have rashes on my eye (mostly the right for me). What does your rash look like???? You have to be very careful with which medicines you put on your eyes. The skin is so thin and sensative on that part of your body and there are sooooo many ingrediants in those medicines that are likely to irratate your eyes more if you take one (like cortisone) that you can use topically elsewhere but that you shouldn't use on your eyes. :no:This may sound like a really strange solution, but what often works for me when my eyes are irritated is to start washing my face with Johnson & Johnson baby wash once in the morning and again at night. It really helps to clear the rash up quickly. :yes: Also, if you use facewash or foundation or moustiorizer with alchohol, dye, or fragrance, you might want to lay off your eyelids until they clear up as these things tend to irritate that skin more when it is already inflamed. Hope things look up for you soon! :cute:
Sandy

DrinkofWtr
06-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Looks like my eyelid is going to be okay and I won't have to go to the urgent care. I used both foundation and moisturizer on my face the day it swelled up. Either one of them could have been the culprit.

KATROACH1972
06-12-2009, 12:19 PM
May be a Sty. My eyes swell up like that sometimes. Or like they said bug bite. I say Warm compress would help. Hugs Kathy

SandyR
06-12-2009, 03:19 PM
glad to hear you are feeling better!:cute: